1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Intro: Lady beer drinker/homebrewer from WY

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by MammaGoose, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I hope it's alright to post something like this here; I didn't see an introductions forum, and I thought it would be neat to connect with anyone local to me.

Anyways, a wee bit about me...I'm a radchemist (radioactive chemistry) at an environmental laboratory here in Sheridan, WY. I love horses, cooking, motorcycles, camping, hunting/fishing, and most things related to beer. I started out as a Bud Light girl, to be entirely honest. Beer was a means to an end in college. But within the last year and a half or so, I have discovered craft beer. Casual enjoyment turned to interest turned to passion.

My boyfriend and I homebrew, which I find especially fascinating from both a culinary aspect as well as scientific. And I of course love the end product. My current pursuit in homebrewing is to learn the characteristics of all the various ingredients. I want to be able to taste Fuggles hops versus Cascade hops or even various yeast strains. From a culinary standpoint, I know what various spices (coriander, turmeric, rosemary, etc) taste like, what they will do to a dish, and how to use them in a recipe. But I can't yet say that about specific brewing ingredients. So I have been honing my palate, and we have also started SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hops) homebrews. Obviously, one is brewing a beer with just one grain type and one hop strain. Pale grain and Cascade hops, for example. Not especially exciting or complex homebrews, but the purpose is to learn the ingredients. And something to throw in the kegs.

Anyways, I LOVE Wyoming. It's an outdoor paradise. But it's unfortunately lacking in the craft beer scene. We have a fair amount of craft brews, but we just don't have the population to support a wide variety. I have Black Tooth Brewing Co in town which has very solid beers, and they're establishing a respectable reputation for themselves. That said, they're having a hard time keeping up with the production of their flagships, so they don't have much room for much experimentation. I get tired of drinking the same four or five beers from the same brewery. Our selection in liquor stores is also tragically limited. So, we make the best of it, travel on brewery tours when we can, homebrew our own variety, and keep friends in Colorado :)

Anyways, hope to see you all around the forum.
  2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I'd say that Wyoming is probably more underrepresented in these fora than WV is. Welcome to the passion.
    You should BM BitterBill. He's in Casper which I realize is a couple hours away from you, but he seems to have figured a way around the limited selection issue. Maybe he has some state-specific tips.
    Love Wyoming. Haven't been there in years but I think about returning often. Saw my first mountain plover just south of Buffalo, my first rosy finch at Rob Roy near Albany, and loved every minute I spent in the Snowy range.

Sounds like homebrewing is one of your best options. Folks on that forum here are pretty helpful.
    Cheers
  3. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Very kind of you to introduce yourself, as jmw mentioned WY is under-represented in the Mountain forum but BitterBill seems to be well connected so I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

Another way I enjoy getting to know the effect of certain ingredients is splitting my batches of homebrew. For example you talk about differences in yeast. Brew up a 5 gal batch then split it and pitch two different yeasts into identical wort. I have found it easiest to learn differences when you have two examples that you can sample side by side.
  4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

RadChem? Should be some awesome homebrews. Just don't let the local lizards drink them; don't want any modern day Godzillas roaming around.

Seriously, though, welcome to the MTN forum. BitterBill is the contact up yonder.
    Looking for the positive of a sparse beer scene, and that you two homebrew, you at least have time to experiment on your own? And you are close to Montana (ok ok, it's a HUGE state) for some beers.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

A HUGE welcome to the site from me! I yack a lot so the above posters know I try my best to represent Wyoming. Thank you, dudes.

The only other WY BA I know of now is Matt and he's a brewer at The Library in Laramie. Though....I still consider Chuck to be WY all the way even though he's moved to UT and now CO. The 3 of us had a small but memorable tasting last year at The Library.:)

I have great hopes for Black Tooth, a couple of their beers are in Casper now. Their Amber and Wheat seem to be their flagship brews right now and, hopefully, if those beers bring in enough revenue, they can afford to experiment with some "odd ball" styles.

Anywho, again, welcome to BA and please feel free to post often!
  6. Welcome! It's good to see more Wyoming BAs around! Black Tooth is up and coming in Sheridan as you mentioned. Have you had a chance to try any of the beers at Clear Creek in Buffalo?

Bill is definitely more connected to the overall Wyoming scene, but I venture up to Laramie quite often to hit up the Library (not so much now as they're in limbo on location) and Altitude, not to mention to stock up on Snake River brews!
  7. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

And to BitterBill - I've seen a few of your posts around that reference Casper. I get down there every few months. My guy and I are always up for having a beer with a fellow beer enthusiast. I'll let you know next time I head that way, and same goes for you if you're ever in Sheridan!

I do love Black Tooth. Besides the fact that they're our only brewery in town, I think their beers are high quality. I personally find the wheat and the amber to be their most boring beers, but they seem to be the most accessible, thus the most widely distributed. I don't much care for the amber at all. I think their IPA is pretty good, definitely nice to have a fresh local IPA on tap, but overall it's not mind blowing. Their seasonals are usually pretty good. I love their barrel-aged 1314. The Deer Abbey, a Belgian Dubbel, is back on tap tonight, and I'll be partaking in a glass or three tonight!

To pokesbeerdude - I have visited Clear Creek. I was there on both opening day and the official ribbon cutting. It's a small town enough of an establishment and I tend to make my presence known, so they usually greet us by name when we go in their. I like their beers a lot. They're almost all on the maltier side and have kind of a homebrew charm. I'm not a big fan of their IPA, because it's malty on the IPA spectrum and I'm a hop head, but I really like some of their other beers. Their amber is delicious, and I'm not typically drawn to ambers. The stout is awesome and their chili porter is good also. I like chili beers, but I've mostly had lighter beers with jalapenos. This one is more of the Mexican chili mocha flavors.
  8. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (275) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

Ha, thanks for the mention. It sure was fun, we'll have to do it again. Hate to say it, but I am now the former brewer at The Library. Not to go too far into it, but it was a mutual parting. Oh well... guess I should update my avatar sometime soon.
  9. mkorpal

The Library should have a new location announced soon. It's not 100% official, but they should be back up and running sometime in the summer.
  10. mkorpal

Welcome. Wyoming is certainly growing at the moment, in terms of beer. We certainly have a growing group of brewers in the state, and it's been all quality so far. Nice to see homebrewers as well. Keep brewing!

By the way, loved Sheridan's brewfest. Hope that continues.