1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Introducing Beck's Sapphire (a 6% Pilsner in a black bottle)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

Black Is The New Black: Introducing Beck's Sapphire

A New, Smooth 6 Percent ABV Golden Pilsner in an Exclusive Sleek Black Bottle

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 2, 2013 – Beck's, the number one German beer brand in the world, today introduced Beck's Sapphire, a remarkably smooth and distinctive golden pilsner brewed with German Saphir hops. Inspired by the rarest sapphire gemstones, brewed to 6 percent ABV and served in an exclusive sleek black glass bottle, Beck's Sapphire represents a new standard for premium beer in high-end occasions, and for the ambitious, confident consumers who experience them.

“Beck's Sapphire continues and builds the great brewing tradition of the Beck's brand,” said Paul Chibe, vice president, U.S. marketing, Anheuser-Busch. “Brewing with rare Saphir hops gives Beck's Sapphire an incredibly delicious taste that will make you think differently about Beck's.”

Beck's Sapphire is brewed with German Saphir aroma hops, which are traditionally used as a finishing or conditioning hop. German Saphir hops give Beck's Sapphire its distinctly smooth finish. It will be available at high-end clubs, bars and restaurants. It will also be available in grocery and liquor accounts nationwide in 12-oz black glass bottles in six- and 12-packs. Beck's spent over two years developing a truly unique black glass bottle for Beck's Sapphire.

As part of the marketing campaign supporting the launch of Beck's Sapphire, the product debuted at high-end New Year's Eve occasions nationwide. Consumers will also be able to experience the brand at pop-up locations in Beverly Hills in Los Angeles, on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, in SoHo in New York City and along South Beach in Miami. The brand launch will be sustained with a multi-faceted national advertising campaign throughout 2013.

About Beck's
    For 140 years, Beck's has been a champion of independent thinking. Beck's was the first German beer to embrace a green bottle, for example, while its peers remained in brown bottles. While other German beers remained home-bound, Beck's went abroad. Beck's Sapphire reflects the legacy of independence and innovation that defines the Beck's brand.

For more details, please visit http://www.facebook.com/becksbeer or http://www.beckssapphire.com.

###
  2. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Member

3. Todd

What a thoughtful response. :rolleyes:

Marketing blabber aside, as a huge Pils fan I'm actually curious to taste their use of German Saphir hops.
  4. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

The only becks beer I ever had was the Oktoberfest and it was pretty lackluster. I expect the same from this Pils just a drinkable light tasting black ale.
  5. Todd

It's not a black ale. It's a "Golden Pilsner" in a black bottle.
  6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Member

Saw this at the Wegman's in Leesburg, VA on New Year's Eve and was wondering about it... Anyone try it yet?
  7. leedorham

leedorham Member

Looks like those are pry-offs and the bottles aren't embossed. Those would be pretty pimp homebrew bottles.
  8. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Member

I'll probably give it a whirl. If the price is right, it might be a nice lawn mower type of beer.
  9. Domingo

Domingo Member

Saw this at the store the other day. Did a bit of a double take. Anyone know if this is actually brewed in Germany or if it's from St. Louis?
  10. Northlax3

Northlax3 Member

saw this Christmas eve in my store.... interesting.

Does it remind anyone of the 6% offerings by Bud light and soon to be Budweiser?
  11. Todd

12. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Member

I'll give this a try, just as soon as I'm done trying all the other beers on my 'to drink' list... so say around 2019?
  13. leedorham

leedorham Member

Good point. BL Platinum with "rare hops."
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

From the label:

[​IMG]
  15. Domingo

Domingo Member

Hmmm. While Beck's was never something great, it at least was a pretty typical (if not below average) north German pilsner...that was often skunky because of those green bottles.

The newer version isn't quite the offensively mislabeled American Lowenbrau, but it certainly isn't the same beer. Not too hopeful about this one either.
  16. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Member

Sorry but "served in an exclusive sleek black bottle" sounds like little more than the marketing of a "sophisticated beer for the luxury beer drinker." It's just a shame that the most interesting guy in the world is already taken. Beer will "pop up" in all the trendy spots like Beverly Hills, Soho, and South Beach. Give me a break.

Still, I hope for pils drinkers (of which I am one here and there) will enjoy it. "Fail" was more on the notion of the description, etc. behind it as opposed to the potential merits of the beer.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  17. Todd

You said "fail," and now I know why you think it's a fail. I'd just like to see more people putting some effort into contributing to a thread. Thanks.

PS - I agree with you.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  18. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

I highly doubt that they even put in enough hops to even be able to notice any discernable difference.
  19. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

I misread and thought it was a black lager brewed with German Saphir hops. Still my point is valid that it will probably be forgettable.
  20. Chaz

Chaz Member

I haven't had a Beck's in close to twenty years, but will give this new brand a try. Thanks for the tip! :)
    chuckstout likes this.
  21. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

I'll give it a try. I doubt it will blow me a way but I'm sure its decent for what it is
  22. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

Three things.

1) It might not actually be that bad, as half of what makes Beck's so terrible is the green glass.
    2) They misspelled 'Saphir' on the label; 'sapphire' is a gemstone, 'saphir' is a hop, as far as I know...
    3) They. Seriously. Took two years. To develop a BOTTLE?
  23. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

At least it won't taste like a skunk's asshole. Or will it?
    Frankinstiener likes this.
  24. Chaz

Chaz Member

From the OP:

25. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

That part I got, but then look at Jesskidden's picture post above, which says that the brew utilizes 'German Sapphire Hops'...
  26. Chaz

Chaz Member

Seems to be the domestic rendition of that hop varietal?
    Edit: Seems to be confusion all around: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/36689 o_O
    Apologies for jumpin' on ya :eek:
  27. chuckstout

chuckstout Member

I love a good pilsner, I will give this a try, but my expectations are set at low.
  28. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

They should have just called up Lone Star (not that anyone's around to answer the phones in San Antonio):

[​IMG]

Pretty sure I read an industry article with an interview with an Owens-Illinois exec about Miller's "Vortex" bottle in which it was stated that they also had a black bottle ready to go, but they hadn't lined up any customers because it was "...a bit more costly".
    Chaz likes this.
  29. Crusader

Crusader Member

I wonder where that leaves the Beck's Black Jewel, if it's to be launched at all, and if it is supposed to be a dark lager as opposed to the pale pilsner of Beck's Sapphire. Considering the Budweiser Black Crown, Busch Black Light and Rolling Rock Black Rock I guess the odds are that it was/is supposed to be a dark lager brewed with liberty hops, to distinguish it from the Sapphire. I guess it would be too much to launch two dark themed (either in color or bottle) Beck's beers at the same time only using, or promoting the use of a certain hop variety.
  30. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

Those reviews don't sound very promising. I will give it a fair shot though, it wouldn't be the first beer with bad reviews that I enjoy. I just hope that this is a real Pilsner. A store by me has it for for $15.99 a 12 pack, that store tends to be a bit expensive so I'm assuming it will be about $7.49 a six pack at the grocery store. This is about the same price as SN and SA. You would think being such a giant brewer with such vast resources they could theoretically brew a solid representation of the style and offer it for this price point. Combine a good beer with this type of marketing and I would think they would just clean up.
  31. chuckstout

chuckstout Member

Update: I picked up a four pack in cans (could not resist) today and just cracked one open. It is pretty lame! I am not so sure this is just a Budweiser. One and done!
  32. chuckstout

chuckstout Member

Trust me, it aint!
  33. vthippie

vthippie Member

With a limitless supply of money you would think someone over there would spring for a thesaurus so I wouldn't have to read the phrase "high-end" multiple times. I do like the black bottle idea though, would be a great idea for some of the more common "cellar" beers, show off your stash without concerns about light pollution.
    chuckstout likes this.