1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Intuition, abinbev connection? pls settle this for me

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by digita7693, Jan 1, 2013.

1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

So on my recent visit to Jax, and visiting all the wonderful places, someone, who was a huge fan of Bold City, starting disparaging Intuition saying they had connections to AB and had gotten investments from them and they will never set foot in there. I had never heard of it, and could only imagine that perhaps their beer is distributed by an abinbev distro?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

side note:
    I love how the jax scene is growing and love going from Bold City to Intuition and then on to Kickbacks.
  2. flabeer

flabeer Aficionado (160) Florida May 22, 2007

They are connected to Winn Dixie.
    Not so sure about InBev. InBev doesn't exactly invest or loan money. They will buy the brewery or a majority portion of the brewery. SAB Miller does have a branch, Tenth and Blake, that actually loans money to breweries and consults on start-ups as well as buy-ins.
  3. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

In addition to the above info, they are distributed in Jax by Champion Brands.
  4. digita7693

Which means?

and thanks for the info thus far:)
  5. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

Nothing sinister :p

Champion is a pretty good distributor that has a good amount of craft in their portfolio (and they're not AB owned). Just answering the second question in your initial post.
  6. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

I think one of the head brewers dad is a high up/partial owner of Winn Dixie. My buddy used to work for champion brands and told me about intuition. They make some quality brews, or at least the ones I have had(pale ale and I10 IPA).
  7. digita7693

Thanks for the info everyone. I rather enjoy the tasting room, good beers and nice people.
  8. I've always heard it was family money, and have never heard AB mentioned. That must be something Bold City drinkers tell themselves to rationalize drinking mediocre beer.
  9. nickfl

nickfl Advocate (745) Florida Mar 7, 2006

Lies and slander. The owner's family founded Winn Dixie, that's presumably where the money came from. If anything, Intuition actually has less of a connection to AB than bold city does since bold city is distributed by the local AB distributor, but both intuition and bold city are independent and I would guess that both are too small by a factor of ten for AB or tenth and Blake to be interested in them yet.