1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Investment Opportunities in Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Msquared2, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of any?
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

A lot of upstart breweries in SD take on investors. The terms usually suck though, making it not an investmnet that can grow, just a roulette wheel spin.

For example, Manzanita in SD wanted $25k up front, with $50k and out a year later.
    Msquared2 likes this.
  3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

As in, public investing? Sam Adams would be your only option in craft beer that I know of. Could be wrong though...
  4. I guess so. I am only in my early 20s and have just recently gotten into investing. I am really just wondering if there are any that I can get into.
  5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

kzoobrew's investment plan.

1. Buy beer (provide brewery income)
    2. drink beer (untappd check in, free advertising)
    3. return bottle
    4. $.10 return on my investment (this only works in Michigan)
  6. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

and the Ticker "HOOK" -craft beer alliance

Or you could just get short "BUD" :)
    libbey and yamar68 like this.
  7. There's really not a lot of money in beer investment. You can go with the big guys like AB, SA, CBA, etc. But with the red hot microbrewery scene, I don't know how I'd feel about investing long term in the big guys.

At the low end, even if you find a decent investment path, your odds of success are a long shot. There are 1000 little breweries in this country right now, and maybe 10-20 of them will grow to Stone/DFH/Harpoon level, with maybe 1-2 growing to SA level. And unless you hit those levels, there's not much money in beer.
  8. Didn't we just have this thread? If I had anything more than the price of a 4 pack of Ten Fidy to invest, I'd put it into hop farming, not a brewery.
    beerme411, drtth, jglowe77 and 3 others like this.
  9. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Do you have experience investing, especially in smaller companies? Do you already have a good portfolio of other investments that you have a good handle on? Are you familiar with the last cycle of craft beer's boom and bust?

If you just want to throw some money at Boston Beer Company's stock and see what happens, go for it, but if you're genuinely serious about investing your money, 1) craft beer isn't your best bet and 2) asking on BA isn't going to yield the best possible advice.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Sometimes hobbies are best left as hobbies.

If you have to ask, and if you have to ask here, then maybe think twice about doing this yourself.
    Sneers, ericj551, tronester and 4 others like this.
  11. It was just out of curiosity. But thank you.
  12. Alpine was looking for $3 million to expand production. I have the prospectus.
  13. The only publicly traded "craft" brewers are:

Boston Beer Company (Ticker SAM) - Samuel Adams, Twisted Tea and Angry Orchard Cider
    Craft Brew Alliance (Ticker BREW (recently changed from HOOK)) - Widmer, Kona and Red Hook

Otherwise, you're talking larger brewers such as AB-Inbev (BUD), SAB-Miller (SBMRY) and Molson-Coors (TAP).
  14. They got less than 10% of the desired funds, so they're restructuring the plan and will put forth another proposal within the next year.
    olympuszymurgus likes this.
  15. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've heard there are a number of craft beer investment opportunities on eBay.
    tronester, SammyJaxxxx and jrnyc like this.
  16. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

sure you can spend some of your cash in my new brewery! cash only please, lol.
  17. azorie

I would put it into growing indoors, it might be about 10 years but by then it will be the only place you can grow anything....If you ask me.;)
  18. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

You can make a small fortune in the craft beer business. Just be sure to start out with a large fortune.
    Sarlacc83, SammyJaxxxx, Xul and 2 others like this.
  19. azorie

ahh that is a oldie but a goodie.
  20. Ming

Ming Aficionado (160) New York Jul 1, 2012

Brewdog has taken on investors in the past but think all of their shares have sold out.
  21. fatmcb1

fatmcb1 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 12, 2010

There are some low barrier options with a couple of very small US craft breweries and some foreign companies out there that are listed on pink sheets and bulletin boards, but these are going to be high risk. TSGTY and HBWO are examples.

There are many other foreign options, but you would need access exchanges outside of the U.S. An example of that would be SMB on the Philippine Stock Exchange.
  22. This will provide even greater roi.
    nogophers likes this.
  23. But on the serious side, I believe a good investment is in companies that manufacture brewing equipment. With so many new breweries in the works and existing breweries expanding, they all need equipment and there's just so much used equipment that is still viable.
  24. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Are you an "accredited investor"?
    http://www.sec.gov/answers/accred.htm

I think that's the only way you're going to be able to buy stock in a brewery, pre-IPO.
    Errto likes this.
  25. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Use Kickstarter. Give them $25 now, get free beer/tshirts/bottle openers later! It's even safer than a money market fund!
  26. If you can afford a 4 pack of Oskar Blues, you have money to spare for investments.

i kid kid.

27. I would love to see that prospectus.
  28. Yeah, you, Kramer and Neuman in the mail truck. ;) You'll be stopped at the MI border and arrested.
    Gehrig13 likes this.
  29. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

30. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

The subscription agreement is on their website.
  31. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

That's not the prospectus, the prospectus was a longer document (45ish pages I believe) that could only be picked up at the brewery.
  32. As it was stated above, the old prospectus is no longer valid. They are working on a new offering.
  33. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Yep. I understand why this topic comes up and has an appeal, but this is the correct answer. If you want to _actually_ help a local brewery, see what they need done and volunteer, and of course spread the word.
  34. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

A fantastic brewpub, turnkey, great location (next to Wallkill River and the RailTrail, college town)fantastic amenities, all copper equipment, is reportedly on the market in New Paltz for asking of 3 mill.
  35. azorie

36. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

37. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

There's also Big Rock Brewery Inc. (BRBMF), a Canadian micro brewery. They even have dividends, unlike SAM and BREW.
  38. azorie

know any details ? how much they gross etc?
  39. not any more. they but the kaibosh on that one.
  40. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

ElkSherpa likes this.