1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Investment Opportunities in Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Msquared2, Aug 4, 2012.

1. gwlad02

gwlad02 Aficionado (100) Tennessee Jul 10, 2009

Investments can also be in the form of buying the product and having it appreciate in value, which is an investment institution in the world of fine wine. Not at all the case with beer.

2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

BA's way of "investing"

1. Buy as many of a limited-beer as possible
    2. Talk as much as possible on the forums about it
    3. Send out an ISO: asking for ridiculous trades. (ISO: Vanilla DL; FT: FMB x 2)

It may not be your "typical" investing, but maximize enough trades and you could soon be drinking amazing WHALES!!!

azorie likes this.
  3. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

wow i read that or tried too, me need a corp tax lawyer to decode that thing. I can usually understand a prospectus.:(

4. Addisonst

Addisonst Initiate (15) Aug 22, 2012

I represent a growing brew pub chain in the midwest.

Been in business for over ten years. Has distribution and is growing

5. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

The craft beer industry is booming very rapidly but it is extremely hard to be profitable as well. Right now we are seeing a large number of breweries open but with in the next few years we will see the market closing some of them. Those breweries that produce good products and market them well will definitely keep open, but those who are just going into it for the money because of the growing demand of craft beer will close down. A small sized brewery would cost a minimum $500,000 to have set up, including the pilot system, construction, fermenter's and brew house. This would be a 40 bbl brew house. It would take alot of knowledge in brewing and business to make a brewery succeed, and the firs few years (1-5) there would be little to no profit. The people who start small breweries usually have a side job that will keep them afloat while they venture into starting a brewery.

6. Yesteryear

Yesteryear Initiate (15) Feb 15, 2013

Hi SanDeigo67. I am Aussie looking for a copy of the prospectus for Alpine Brewing that wanted to rasie 3 Million, you said you have a copy, can you email to [email protected] I am an Aussie Looking at raising capital. Thanks.

7. Yesteryear

Hey Addisonst, I would be interested to talk to you. I am wanting to set up a Brewpub/Bistro Chain in Australia. Can you email at [email protected] - Thanks

8. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

Won't work. Kramer and Newman already did the math.

Unless you have access to a fleet of postal trucks.........

Benny3000 likes this.
  9. BM me so I don't lose this thread. I will look for the prospectus.

10. Yesteryear

BM me ????

11. Yesteryear

Hi Addisonst. I am wanting to set a Brewhouse & Bitsro Chain in Australia. Who do you represent, what is the name of the chain? Any help you can give , would be appreciated - Thanks

12. A la Kramer

13. Buy solid dividend paying stocks. At this stage of your life you can retire in 30 years if you do your homework and reinvest the dividends. Its not as glamorous or exciting as looking for the next google but in the long run it will pay off big time. Its ok to do a small bit of speculating but I would build a good solid diversified portfolio at your age first.

Any work related 401k put in all you can up to the company match....FREE money

I do have a few positions in the Marijuana stocks right now. Very risky but could pay off big. Very little money in it though.

Enjoy

jtdolla911 likes this.
  14. if you have start up capital wouldn't the best form of invenstment within the beer world be to open a shop, brew pub, tasting room, etc? I know people briefly mentioned it in here. But that gives you the ability to bank off of other breweries good beers and hard work. Depending where you live in the country, and the surrounding competition, that would be the best bet as an "investment". But if you have a few grand you want to invest one way or another.... go a different direction like many others have said. You have 10k to invest? Take $500 and buy some good bottles.. invest the other $9,500 in stock if you want.

15. I highly recommend Exelon, which is paying a 7% dividend and way undervalued right now.

And put money in a Roth IRA as well.

16. growlerphil

growlerphil Aspirant (40) Virginia Oct 26, 2011

What about kickstarter.com? Seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a homebrew setup is planning on opening a brewery and using kickstarter to generate capital. Seems like that might be fertile ground if you are looking to invest in craft beer.

17. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

I read that there are 1200 new breweries that are planning to open this year alone. I would imagine many of them are interested in investors. The market is growing thats for sure. I live in the dayton which is not large and something like 7 new breweries have opened or are expected to open this year. The same goes for cincinatti which is about an hour away. I imagine that at least 1/3rd if not 1/2 of these will fail within 2 years. I personally know 2 brewers that could use some help right now. They just need to be brewing gold before I invest a penny. Any way I think that this is the perfect place to ask where to invest as im sure that many upstart microbrewery owner's have a beer advocate account.

18. Not just responding to you, but fraud always looks attractive at first.

There are arleady laws covering this, and there are some looking to make the penalties larger. The sponsor is from a town near the Indiana/Michigan state line.
    http://www.michiganradio.org/term/bottle-and-can-deposit