1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Hats off to whoever walked into Valley West and "bought cases" as the register lady described it me as.

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

That's ridiculous. Also, per a Twitter conversation going on today, it sounded to me like there was a 2 bottle limit at the Valley West HyVee? A certain Twitter follower of mine was very pissed about the bottle limit at that store in particular, which I found odd. They've always had a 2 bottle limit. Came off as greedy and entitled. I guess they lifted the bottle limit at some point after this person went there...which is humorous, as he was so upset about it.

Berg77 and BrettHead like this.
  3. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Savant (280) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

4. SaulTBauls

Mills Civic had the limit and the only thing I'm surprised about is that they lowered the limit from 4 to 2. Valley West has always been pretty clueless about TG. They were the ones who allowed cases to be bought. I won't point fingers, but I'd be willing to bet the same parties were involved. In my opinion, if you want to buy a case, go to Decorah. It's whatever though, I'll stop into el Bait and grab a pint.

On a side, yet related note, I'm one of TGs harshest critics...however, since they've been their new system, with the exception of 7% Sue, every single batch they've put out, draft and bottles, have been absolutely dialed in. My biggest criticism has always been consistency and lately, they've been near perfect. I absolutely commend them for every beer they've been cranking out of their new system.

Side note part two, I'm going to Austin to visit my brother next weekend and I would love to see TG adopt that sort of system for their stout release. Basically, Monday at noon, reservations opened up. You went online, reserved your bottle and you can pick it up the first 3 weekends of the month. Anything not claimed or not picked up by then opens up for anyone. The bottle count was similar to Assassin I believe, everyone was able to get the bottles they wanted and few complained. Just an idea obviously.

5. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (365) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Sounds like you're referring to the Jester King release? If so, I do like that system. Although, I wasn't able to take advantage since I don't know anyone in Austin :D

6. SaulTBauls

Yup. I booked my tickets to go see my brother, a week later Jester King announces they're releasing new beers while I'm there. Pretty excited about it.

7. HawkeyeNation

The only thing I would see with that is that it does take out some of the fun of major releases like Assassin, as far as TG putting on some more rare beers on tap, etc. I would just be happy about being able to reserve bottles/buy a ticket so I know exactly what I am driving to the brewery for. But, being able to drive up at my own leisure might make up for that.

8. Berg77

Berg77 Savant (310) Iowa Nov 30, 2013

Totally agree on your sentiments on Valley West. I was there a few weeks ago right when they brought in ZeeLander and 2 of the XHops, in obviously limited quantities, and the wine/spirits manager was kind of saying something like "it would be nice" if you limited yourself to 2 of each, but I remember at least one guy right in front of him buying 12 of the ZeeLanders. Pissed me off, but I didn't say anything and respected HyVee's wishes. But since then, I'm only hitting Mills Civic for TG because it's clear Valley West doesn't do anything to control crap like that. Maybe part of the problem is that they have no separate checkout for the alcohol section, and can't hold the cases at the counter like they do at Mills Civic?

Let me know how your trip to Austin goes. I'm heading down in about a month to visit a good friend for 4 days and want to hit the best places down there!

9. SaulTBauls

Well really, since they don't have a separate liquor department, putting a sign up that says limit 2 only is about the only thing they can do. I'm sure they could tell all the checkers, but with the size of their workforce, that would be pretty tough. Every time I've gone and have seen limits, I always respect that. Its pretty sad that grown men/women can't even abide by the honor system. Ah, the life of a craft beer addict...er, I mean enthusiast.

Berg77 likes this.
  10. Berg77

I was also surprised that Mills Civic limited it to 2 bottles, but was fine with it since for once I didn't have to use my lunch break to not miss out on TG!

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  11. BottleCaps80

I said the same thing when I walked in the Prairie Trail HyVee last night after work (5:30ish) and there were still two cases left. I didn't have to run to the store on lunch to secure my 2 bottles, which was nice. I still wish this would sit on shelves for a week (or even a few days) at a time, but I don't know if we'll ever see that day.

12. printer1

printer1 Savant (265) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

So why are they on Toppling Goliaths list of Des Moines area retailers? I know Chris on 42nd and University has been trying to get them. Chris limits bottles of special release beers. It would be a much better choice.

13. SaulTBauls

Close to the interstate? I don't know.

14. Marksy

Marksy Zealot (80) Illinois Mar 4, 2014

Went to the Valley West Hy-Vee for the Sosus release. The ladies at customer service said the delivery had been about 5 minutes ago. They paged someone (Chris, I think?) to help me, so I assumed they were keeping it somewhere special. He came and walked me to the spot ON THE SHELF where it had been. He looked confounded, "you know what, it's all gone." No limits or signage of any kind. Very aggravating to think about one person walking out of there with the store's entire allotment whiles there's a one-bottle limit everywhere else.

15. Berg77

I hear you, very aggravating indeed. However I think each of the DSM stores only got 1 case each of the Sosus, so could have been that there were 12 people there at time of delivery. That being said, I really don't think Valley West monitors the limits like the other stores do based on my own past experiences and what others have said here.

16. printer1

I really can't blame them. It's the managers fault. If I was the only one there at the time, I would have done it too. I know a lot of people that would have loved to get it, but couldn't be there. Could have made a lot of my freinds day. Likely that if I buy a couple, the next person buys it all.
    Black Friday I was at the Urbandale Hy Vee at 6:45 am. 3 people in front of me, cases behind the counter. Cashier says grab what you want. They took all the Backyard Rye, and most everything else. Happy they gave me a 4 pack of Barleywine and a couple regular. But hey, one Backyard would have been nice. If there is no limit, it's kill or be killed.

mattafett likes this.
  17. BottleCaps80

"If you would have done it too," sorry, but you are part of the problem. Sure, it's the managers fault for not setting limits, but it's your fault as well if you are a greedy, self-entitled hoarder. Walking in and taking a case of Sosus or Backyard Rye, just because "you could" is a dick move and nothing that should ever be applauded or envied. If there is no limit, and if you are a true Beer Advocate, it shouldn't be kill or be killed, it should be grab a bottle or two and leave some for others to enjoy. Karma, bitch.

je1129 and Berg77 like this.
  18. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Nice.

Has anybody seen the Tweets with TG and Evil Twin? Nothing special, it's just nuts to me how crazy things are yet to get with TG.

19. BottleCaps80

Yes! I have noticed those this week. First it was Evil Twin commenting how great Sue is, then Sosus, Mornin Delight and Kentucky Brunch. Wonder if TG sent those beers to them to try or if they got them by other means? Would be awesome if some sort of stout collaboration between them was in the works!

20. printer1

What problem? That stores aren't liimiting? Greedy? Because I would help people that want it and can't get it because they work? Hoarder? I offered you a bottle of Southern Charred because I got 2. I always appreciate your information. I don't sell beer. I don't trade beer. I don't hoard beer. The BCBS I got was shared or given away a bottle at a time. You judge me? You are a fucking dick! And I'm really surprised.

21. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

TG sent them the beers. I saw Clark tweet Mikkeller about sending off some beers to him. Pretty sweet.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  22. HawkeyeNation

Wonder if they sent Stillwater some brews as well....

Pintofbrown likes this.
  23. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Bullshit. I've been both shut out, and bought a case at a time locally. I trade almost all of it, for bottles to share either at Red's or Big Grove. If anyone EVER wants me to share a bottle, message me, I'll raid my cellar and we can drink. The term Beer Advocate, is worthless and has no real meaning. No one is 100% generous. It's always about what is best for me.

24. BottleCaps80

That is pretty sweet!

25. BottleCaps80

Was Stillwater tweeting about TG beers as well?

26. SaulTBauls

I wonder what Sosus tastes like on draft...guess we'll just have to ask a Floridian. Let's hope TG took notes about how NOT to run a beer release.

27. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Come on guys... the real bad guys today are Cigar City. Don't let the hatred spill over into this little slice of heaven that is the Midwest thread.

BrettHead likes this.
  28. SaulTBauls

That's what I was getting at. The TG guys were down there, so hopefully they took notes. It's really too bad too because aside from this incident, I've heard nothing but solid things about CCB beer releases.

29. Roudy1

I haven't been around as long as a lot of you guys but the days of beer releases being fun and easy going are over.

redblacks75 likes this.
  30. SaulTBauls

Eh,I think when they're done right, they can still be a great time. Darkness Day was a blast this year, DLD was incredible last year, the JK releases were/are being handled pretty well. It's these releases that have bros licking their chops at the opportunity to trade whalezbro that ruin things. Imo breweries should also shoulder some of the blame. Some of these non barrel aged beers could easily be made into bigger batches. Higher bottle count doesn't have to mean higher allocations per person. For crazy, rare, barrel aged stuff, the days of breweries offering small quantities so they can say thank you to their supporters are what's coming to an end.

31. ToddSoonerFan

I see Madhouse brewing is moving from Newton to DSM. Any thoughts on this as to why they are moving. I have a VIP Porter that I bought a few weeks ago. Is their beer good?

32. Roudy1

Most of their beer is meh. I enjoyed the VIP Porter though. I think that they moved because their spot in Newton was just a production brewery. And, who wants to be in Newton?

redblacks75 likes this.
  33. DollCraftTrav

DollCraftTrav Aficionado (120) Iowa Aug 14, 2012

Sounds like the page is getting a little off topic...you guys will be happy in the next couple months.

Rob-P and BottleCaps80 like this.
  34. Roudy1

Oh you tease!

35. ToddSoonerFan

Nobody I know wants to be in Newton. Hope they are successful in DSM. I would like to see somebody from central Iowa make some great beers like TG is.

36. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (625) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

they are putting together a tasting room so at least there will be another brewery to hang out at. I think their wood and barrel aged beers have been a big step up in their portfolio too. I really like the Imperial Red for a wood chip aged beer or whatever.

37. Marksy

Marksy Zealot (80) Illinois Mar 4, 2014

TG is truly remarkable, and widely heralded around the country...so I wouldn't expect something of that caliber to just pop up again any time soon. Also, no brewery gets to that point without people being willing to try...you know, even before being hyped on BA.
    515 and Confluence are young companies both doing great work. Peace Tree has a couple of exciting releases on the horizon.
    Unfortunately visiting lesser known local breweries only goes toward developing a scene you support in your local community and won't garner the same attention on the internets.

je1129 and redblacks75 like this.
  38. SaulTBauls

I agree. I think Confluence is the most consistent and diverse brewery in the state. I haven't had a beer from them that doesn't nail the style and they keep trying new things. Sure they don't have any ISO beers or any recognition outside of the state, but they're really doing great things.

Marksy likes this.
  39. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I'll be interested to see if Madhouse moving to DSM causes any changes to their beer production. I want to support them like I do other Iowa breweries, but I don't feel like they make very good beer. Their new barrel-aged beers seem to be a step in the right direction, but they have some stiff competition in Des Moines now with 515, Confluence, Court Avenue and even Exile.

BottleCaps80 and huskermike12 like this.
  40. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Savant (255) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

Stone Enjoy 4-20-14 hopefully hitting shelves in the next couple of weeks. Oskar Blues headed our way and I've also heard Left Hand should be arriving as well. Things are looking great in Iowa for beer!

http://iabeerbaron.com/

Will_Edgar, je1129 and Berg77 like this.