1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I consider Shock Top and other products in the same category. I'd also say my reference to Sam Adams/ BBC should've made it clear that I wasn't solely referring to the beers contained in the acronym BMC. The point is simply that great beer doesn't always sell simply because it's great. There are other factors to consider and swag and promotions from distributors are another big factor. There are bar owners who won't take on beers that their distributors don't carry, for instance. It's a complex business, like any other, built largely on relationships.

Agreed.

On another note, if we are going to continue this convo it should be outside this thread. I don't want IA distro news getting shut down again for us being off topic.
  2. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Trying to understand what you mean here. You can't buy beers unless they come through distribution.
  3. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (225) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Iowa breweries can self distribute.
  4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

This.

In Iowa beer news. Rainbow XHops bottling is finished. More Zeelander is also getting bottled today!!! I would imagine both will be in the taproom later today and hopefully start hitting distro tomorrow.
    iabeerbaron likes this.
  5. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

How would a thread about Iowa distro discussing Iowa distro and complications coming from an overflow of breweries get shut down? That doesn't make sense as it's 100% on topic. I suppose
    people are right that certain breweries will just have to pull out of the market. Will be interesting to see if the new ones can find a market and survive as well. Selling a few beers to people once is easy, but it takes the person coming in and buying a six pack every day to really move enough beer to be worth it to be in this state.

Anyways, glad to hear some more TG is coming out. Pretty excited to finish out the x hops series and just in time to grab some to share on an upcoming trip to Chicago. Any word if these are coming from the 10bbl or 30bbl system? Wouldn't mind seeing 10-15 cases show up instead of one or two of each.
  6. BottleCaps80

Haven't heard what system it was brewed on or the amount that will be available. I too hope we see plenty of this and Zeelander. Would be nice to get a few bottles of each. Here's to hoping!
  7. BrettHead

True. Maybe that is what he was talking about.
  8. Herky21

That is exactly correct. If a bar owner goes with an Iowa Distributor like Dahl's or Johnson Brothers they might exclusively carry the beers from that distributor and be unwilling to take on a self-distributing Iowa brewery.

I wonder what the Rainbow label will be. Should be an interesting mix. I imagine mixed together this could be pretty good.
  9. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

10. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Not 100% true. It is faaaarrrrr more complicated than that. Big Grove is an obvious example.
    BrettHead likes this.
  11. HawkeyePA

HawkeyePA Aficionado (230) Iowa Jan 7, 2014

I also hear that we should be getting Stone Enjoy After in the coming weeks. But I can't find much on it.
  12. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aficionado (205) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

I disagree to a point. I think he's Saying, for instance, pop open some offerings from Deschutes instead of said regular offerings. Think of HyVee here in Iowa. Do you know that they are one of the largest privately held companies in the USA? I think they can take the c-note hit!
    iabeerbaron likes this.
  13. BrettHead

Next week
  14. Herky21

Is this a new thing or do you mean Enjoy By? Enjoy After would be an interesting concept! Maybe a nice Barleywine.

isn't the Old Guardian's slumber coming soon as well?
  15. BrettHead

I didn't catch the "after" lol

Guardian's Slumber is not hitting distro.
  16. Herky21

Ah that is disappointing. That would be a very good beer.
    BrettHead likes this.
  17. HawkeyePA

No guys I definitely meant after. Have heard from a couple guys that Stone is going to do an "Enjoy After" series that will be brewed with brettanomyces. I have no further info and have found nothing online but the guys that told me are pretty reliable. I guess we will see.
    iabeerbaron and BrettHead like this.
  18. squashington

squashington Aspirant (45) Iowa May 22, 2013

Do you have a link to the laws pertaining to this and anything related? Haven't been able to find much on the net but admittedly haven't searched thoroughly.
    ___

What craft beer does Dahl distribute? I'm guessing Stone, Tallgrass, Green Flash, Peace Tree. So frustrating being in the 4th largest city but still the left armpit of IA and not getting any of this.
  19. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

Isn't this because Big Grove also has a liquor license, and thus must distribute through a distributor?

Iowa Code 123
  20. DollCraftEric

DollCraftEric Aficionado (100) Iowa May 10, 2013

Doll distributes Stone, Tallgrass, Green Flash, West O, Nebraska Brewing, Boston Beer Company, Goose Island, Summit, Abita, Backpocket, Millstream, Court Ave, Exile, Rock Bottom, Olde Main, O'Fallon, Redhook, and Widmer.

If by 4th largest city you mean Sioux City, we do not distribute there. Here is where we distribute:[​IMG]
    BottleCaps80 and BrettHead like this.
  21. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I don't have the link, I got the basics from talking to the owners of Big Grove.

It has a lot to do with the liquor license, but there were other things as well. And even when they (BG, 7G, the state) thought they were done, the state changed their mind.
  22. BottleCaps80

Rainbow XHops and Zeelander to DSM tomorrow.
    BrettHead likes this.
  23. BottleCaps80

TG tweeted that they are re-designing labels for Millennium Falcon (Pale ale brewed with Millennium and Falconer's Flight hops) and will be also be re-naming and bottling it in the not too distant future!

Twisted Galaxy (Galaxy hopped DIPA) is also being brewed and will soon be transferred to kegs!!
  24. HawkeyePA

Looks like stores in DSM got 2 cases of XHOPS Rainbow each, but plenty of Zee. Twitter tells me that Valley West is sold out of Rainbow and Wine Styles has their allotment spoken for.
  25. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Rainbow went insanely quick in IC, I didn't think it was anything mind blowing. Somewhere in the middle of the pack (Red, Orange, Green/Rainbow, Yellow, Blue for my rank). But hey, at least I had the opportunity to try each of the Xhops varieties. Love the amount of Zee that hit.
  26. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (225) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Scored on the Zeelander, struck out on rainbow. Wine styles is a great place. Such friendly people.
  27. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

Don't know if its on here yet or not but Thursday April 3rd Surly will be pouring beers at El Bait shop! No distro yet but a well attended event like this can only help turn the tide in our favor.
    redblacks75, Palsie and iabeerbaron like this.
  28. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aficionado (225) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

Was just going to mention this. A huge opportunity for Iowa to get Surly to distribute. Thinking El Bait Shop is the perfect spot to do this, no place better.
    Ejayz likes this.
  29. ToddSoonerFan

Got 2 bottles of Zeelander and 1 bottle of XHops. Thanx for the heads up!
    BottleCaps80 and iabeerbaron like this.
  30. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Hopefully Surly comes to Iowa!

Does anybody know if anywhere in the East Dubuque/Moline area gets Firestone's Parabola?
  31. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

I thought Doll distributed Deschutes maybe I am thinking of the AB group in Missouri.
  32. 4four4

My guess would be JBW.
  33. Roudy1

I don't know what that is? lol.
  34. 4four4

35. ToddSoonerFan

Johnson Brothers. They are in DSM
  36. Roudy1

37. 4four4

Wait a minute. Firestone Walker is in Iowa?
    Ejayz likes this.
  38. Roudy1

East Dubuque and Moline are both Illinois. I just thought I'd ask here since putting it in the Great Lakes forum would get nowhere. I know a lot of people cross the river for beers that aren't distributed here.
    Chaz likes this.
  39. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aficionado (225) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

Family Beer gets some Firestone but I don't think it's the limited release. I would definitely give them a call though, sometimes they have some gems there.
  40. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

I saw some limited FW at the Rock Island Hyvee last fall. Not Parabola (out of season) but they may get it.