1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Yeah...that's gotta be it. It's all about TG simply wanting to create hype. Not the fact that they (until recently) didn't have the capacity and equipment to produce a lot of product. Nope, they just want to keep volume and availability low, to create demand and hype. Got it!

Please tell me you were wearing your tinfoil hat while typing that?
    s_wit, dasmusik, redblacks75 and 3 others like this.
  2. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (210) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

I'll agree with a lot of this. Maybe not so much "losers", I would say middle of the road or solid offerings instead. Nugget is a great IPA, Zeelander is a bit disjointed. Overall though, they have a great, solid lineup. The part I am agreeing with is the hype train and not matching that with enough product.
  3. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

They are artificially keeping demand high, knowing full well, that even with more capacity they won't produce to keep up. They hyped to a level they will easily be able to sustain profitability.
  4. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

I hope that's a joke. I can walk down the street and get 5 or 6 different Toppling Goliath beers for $4.50 a pint. I stopped at Rudy's Tacos in Cedar Fall recently and had a pint of Nugget. Stroll over to Des Moines and find it multiple places as well. Drive up to Cedar Rapids for dinner, hey, TG is on tap. It's certainly not scarce or difficult to find in Iowa. It's available at just about every bar/restaurant I go to in town with 2 of those places doing growler fills if drinking at home is your thing.

They're keeping demand high by producing beer on a level that most breweries in this region can't match.
    BrettHead, HoppyHawk and BottleCaps80 like this.
  5. BottleCaps80

Haha....OK. You're right!!
  6. mattafett

Except people don't want tap - They want bottles.
    ToddSoonerFan likes this.
  7. BottleCaps80

Yeah...all breweries should strictly bottle/can all of their beer. Nobody likes to enjoy a beer outside of their home. Ever.
    BrettHead likes this.
  8. mattafett

Care to research volume of beer sold - Tap vs bottle/can? I bet it's at least 2:1 in favor of can/bottle.
  9. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

For what, trading? Some sort of backwards status symbol? Draft TG, when fresh, has always been superior to me than the bottles. The only thing the bottles have going for them right now is guaranteed freshness since they sell out the same day. Cool labels too I guess.

From a breweries standpoint, dialing in the bottling line and everything else in the brewhouse while still making money and creating more demand sounds like a wise move, at least to me. You can call it artificial demand, but if they weren't brewing good beer nobody would care. See the dozens of other breweries opening up with limited production and making mediocre product.
  10. BottleCaps80

No, I don't care to research. You're right about TG. You seem to know their business plan better than they do. You win!

This thread is seriously getting derailed from what it should be about. This is not a TG distro thread, it's an Iowa distro/beer news thread. Let's keep it on topic from here on out, as I would hate to see it get locked like the Iowa Rumors thread. So unless someone from TG cares to come here and respond, I say we should all quit the speculation and conspiracy theories and just be happy we have a brewery like them in our fine state.
    Rob-P and BrettHead like this.
  11. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I don't think Iowa has the demand for that, and TG is not similar to those two breweries. Iowa has 3 million people, mostly small towns, and the only significant metro is about the size of Madison. Their beer culture, while growing, is pretty small, and TG is more well known here on BA than in the state of Iowa.

MN has 2.2 million more people than Iowa, the 15th largest metro area, and Surly is located in that metro area. Surly has also been around for 7 years and demand has grown steadily the whole time. It makes sense to take care of MN for now. And besides, in the early days, they tried to stoke demand in neighboring states.

WI has 2.5 million more people, a SERIOUS beer drinking culture, a decently sized metro area (Milwaukee) a large college town/city (Madison), plus tourism from IL and MN. They also have large metro areas right on their borders (MSP and Chi) that would add significant demand if NG were available in neighboring states. NG gets enough demand from in state sales and it makes sense for them to only sell in WI. And they've been around since 1993 and everyone in the state knows them and is proud of them.
  12. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

Yeah, not to derail the current topic but to those that gave me suggestions on where to visit in Des Moines, thanks! I checked out El Bait Shop and had some awesome beers I wouldn't have had access to in KS. TG Dorothy lager, Evil Twin Justin Blabaer, and Prairie Bomb. Bomb was amazing! Also picked up some awesome Shelton Bros type stuff from Hyvee.
    You locals have a beautiful city. I walked around Saturday morning and enjoyed some kind of Farmer's Market downtown.
    I hope to visit again soon!
  13. SaulTBauls

I don't think that is the case at all. I think right now they are maxing out their production and filling all of their accounts, many of those accounts happen to be out of state though. I don't think there is anything artificial about their demand. They are by far and away the best brewery in the state and the the people want their beer. The problem however, is supply. People want it, they just cant get it (in bottles).

I think I am trying more to draw comparisons to TG and those breweries. Yes, they are able to stay sustainable by only catering to those larger markets, but they built their brands within their states and nationally, by growing from within, not by branching out as much as possible. There are several breweries if you look across the nation, that are doing awesome things like TG, but they are focusing on their local in-state markets before reaching across the boarders. I have zero problem with TG or their product, I only with that they could fill the demand here in Iowa before venturing out into other areas. I also realize that geographically it makes sense for them,, but for me I guess its more of a state pride thing. Brewing great beer and fulfilling your state's markets.

If you are talking about distance from the actual breweries, here is the breakdown (I tried to take a major metropolitan area in Iowa for comparison):

Chicago to New Glarus: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
    Chicago to Wisonsin Border: 1 Hour

Cedar Rapids to New Glarus: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
    Cedar Rapids to Wisconsin Border: 1 Hour 15 Minutes

Madison to Minneapolis: 4 Hours 15 Minutes

Des Moines to Minneapolis: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

Are Minneapolis, Madison, St. Paul, Milwaukee much larger than any metropolitan area in Iowa? Absolutely. but to say that Surly and New Glarus are successful across state boarders because they are close to major cities as blasphemy. Hypothetically if TG were accessible only in Iowa, people in these major markets could reach TG in under an hour, which is less time than they could reach any TG brews by going only to the brewery itself.
  14. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I know this is your own personal opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of a product you've made, but to say its nothing more than hype that is the reason they are doing so good is b.s. They are building the brand by producing a lot of great beers, local & regional support from out of state fans, strong focus on quality, & all being very nice/personable.

To also say they are exploiting the lack of availability is completely false too. They have been working their ass off trying to meet the sheer demand of the accounts they already have on a system that just simply isn't built for this type of growth in such a short time.

Now that they've received their new equipment, & are in the process of getting it fully online they will be able to meet & exceed demand from their already thirsty accounts. Trust me when I say that this lack of availability isn't staged. It will get better, but you're also witnessing the first great Iowa brewery to take off.
    jlpred55, Rob-P, BottleCaps80 and 2 others like this.
  15. mattafett

Even with the new system, demand won't be even close to met. The current system is only big enough to serve ONE major market (Madison or Des Moines) The additional capacity won't even be close to serving IA demand, let alone WI or MINN.

The stores in Iowa City/CR/ NL/Coralville averaged 2 cases of each beer this last time. Spread out over 10 stores. That's meant to serve ~250,000 people. not even close.
  16. bossfan23

bossfan23 Aficionado (120) Iowa Mar 26, 2012

No argument about Minneapolis.

But you are wrong that Iowa is "mostly small towns" with the "only significant metro" being the size of Madison. I assume you are referring to Des Moines. I could turn around then and say the same thing about Minnesota; their only significant metro by that description is MSP.

As far as Iowa goes and significant metros, what about: Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport/Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Council Bluffs. These metros also include three Division 1 college towns. Minnesota has one division one school.

Outside of the Minneapolis metro, Minnesota is also mostly small towns and smaller sized metros. In fact, Iowa has more significantly sized metros spread across their state than Minnesota does across their state. Outside of Minneapolis, you have Rochester metro (roughly the same size as Waterloo/CF; smaller than Cedar Rapids metro, Quad Cities metro) and Duluth metro. There are far more significant centers of population across the state of Iowa than there are across the state of Minnesota.

I understand them wanting to expand into MSP and Madison, as they are big towns. I see Waterloo and Des Moines, also significantly sized metros which are in their homestate, being underserved (bottles wise; no complain on draft). We have yet to see Sosus, never got it last time. Looks like we will actually see some of it this time, though last stop in the delivery order (even though Waterloo/CF is only an hr and a half from Decorah). Its just a matter of opinion. I understand the business end of it. Guess I would just like to see them satisfy their homestate on the level or at least equal to what they are serving out of state. First shipment of bottles of Sosus/Sue seems to usually go to Madision. As someone in their homestate and a loyal follower of theirs for years, it sucks to see that.

its a testament to their quality of beer that I feel this way.
  17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You don't understand demand... *hint* it doesn't come from suppliers.

So they shouldn't even exist at all then? OR they must immediately grow to a 50K barrel brewery? What are you even saying? All I know is if TG was a Nebraska brewery I wouldn't be bitchin'...
  18. mattafett

Service your existing accounts, then expand to new ones. Tossing a case or two, or a keg or two everywhere is foolish. All you do is irritate your core group of bars and retailers. This is FACT, as I have heard it more than once in this area.
  19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Madison and Minneapolis are closer to Decorah than Des Moines. It makes sense to send beer there and to get the name recognition.
  20. SaulTBauls

That's exactly what I'm saying. At this point, they don't quite have the capacity to meet the demand of any of their markets, so it's a head scratcher to me why you would jump into markets more than 2 times the size of any markets in Iowa. I used to examples of Surly and New Glarus because both of those companies have satisfied their markets before branching out. Surly is an even better example because they are focusing on only the their local markets before branching out to the rest of the state.

I completely understand that they want to branch out to larger markets to gain recognition, just not when you can't satisfy those markets, let alone the markets in their own state.
    huskermike12 likes this.
  21. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Any new ipas that have come to iowa lately? I'm going to miss fresh squeezed
  22. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Chasin' Freshies should show up soon I'm thinking
  23. SaulTBauls

I absolutely hope so!
  24. BottleCaps80

Sosus and pseudoSue bottles are both headed to Des Moines/Ames today, per Nick Murphy's (of TG) tweet this morning.
  25. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Hey Iowans. I wasn't anticipating the one bottle limit on Sosus in Hudson. I am heading to London on Friday and looking for a second bottle to share with a second tasting group while I'm there. If you get any today and are willing to trade one please let me know. I could trade Cantillion gueuze, kriek, or Rose or some other MN or WI beers. But whatever, if you have a bottle you are willing to ship tomorrow, let me know and we can figure out a deal.
  26. BottleCaps80

Per Facebook, bottles of Sosus/Sue will be headed to the following locations today:
    • Cyclone Liquors in Ames
    • HyVee Fleur in Des Moines
    • HyVee Valley West in West Des Moines
    • HyVee in Pleasant Hill
    • HyVee at Prairie Trail in Ankeny
    • HyVee Mills Civic in West Des Moines
    • WineStyles at West Glen in West Des Moines
  27. Herky21

I have tried to get previous drop offs at the Valley West location without success - manager said it wasn't there, it was, came back and it was gone. Has anyone gotten TG there before? They don't have a designated liquor store so I'm wondering how they deal with TG releases?
  28. BottleCaps80

Yes, I have gotten TG there in the past, specifically the Naughty Temple release earlier this year. At that time, I had to ask for the bottles, as they were in the back room.
    Herky21 likes this.
  29. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Different strokes for different folks. Golden Nugget, and Zeelander are two of my favorites by far.

Also, their is no "hype train" here. They make outstanding products.
  30. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

mattafett I think Bill has brainwashed you. just because he says something doesn't make it true. tg makes excellent beers
    redblacks75, tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.
  31. Guzzi

Guzzi Aficionado (160) Iowa Nov 19, 2011

Just got back from Cyclone, got some Sue, but the Sosus was gone already!
  32. Marcazi

Marcazi Aspirant (25) Iowa Oct 7, 2013

Yep. Got both Sosus and Sue at Cyclone today.
  33. mattafett

No, that is nonsense. He doesn't like Sosus, I rate it above Hopslam, below Pliny. Nugget and Zeelander have had quality issues. The last batch of Zee was bad both at Red's and Parlor City. I like Sue fine, but it's not the best ever. I really like MD. I know he doesn't like TG. I hate how they market and distribute too wide.
  34. Herky21

That does look interesting. I think we might get the Green Montser first though.
  35. SaulTBauls

No Sosus at Valley West.
  36. dckepley

dckepley Savant (320) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Sosus and Sue at Cyclone today....10 cases of Sue...2 cases of Sosus...Sosus ran out within a half hour or so.
  37. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I frequent Parlor weekly, and drink TG nearly every time I am there. There were no infected TG kegs at Parlor City.

This "infected" rumor that seems to have originated in N. Liberty needs to stop.

What was the infection? Why did TG not acknowledge it? Why are only people with ties at Red's ever mentioning it?
    Why did our server at Red's go on to bash TG after my father asked for a Golden Nugget before this nonsensical rumor originated there? Why did my friends who also work at Parlor deny any infection issues regarding TG?

Something is amuck, and it has nothing to do with the consistent, quality products that are coming out of Decorah.
    BrettHead likes this.
  38. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (125) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

Chasin freshsies will be out middle of October, juballe will hit when all twilight is out of the Johnson bros warehouse, hop trip should also hit middle of october
  39. SaulTBauls

I agree...quality is not an issue with TG.
  40. mattafett

We have different opinions, obviously. I stand behind mine 100%. We should just leave it at that. If you want to get more in depth, pm me.