1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

well this escalated quickly. back on topic, Tallgrass zombie porter cans now in Linn County.

BrettHead and redblacks75 like this.
  2. Swiftym

Swiftym Aspirant (25) Iowa Oct 8, 2013

Hello beer lovers,

My name is Matt Swift and I am one of the owners of Reds Alehouse in North Liberty. I want to clear the air in regards to Reds having said that there was infected beer or about us having bad vibes towards Toppling Goliath. What was said wasn't from me and wasn't my opinion. I have personally loved TG from the start. They have been a MAJOR part of our success and I hope that we have been good partners for them. I take great pride in having their beer on tap. I don't post much/ever because it is generally not my place to get involved. I do however want to make sure that I show my support for Toppling Goliath and make it known that we are proud to serve their products.

Now back to the beer releases!

Cheers,
    Matt

3. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (320) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

I love visiting Red's and being able to get TG on tap!

Let's leave this thread to new releases so we don't get locked again.

pkassel and BottleCaps80 like this.
  4. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I would be very surprised if IA got any Green Monster

5. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

well the Ankeny #2 Hy-Vee store got a couple cases of Black Butte XXV so stranger things have happened.

6. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

There was a lot of XXV around in Iowa...Green Monster, doubtful.

7. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

Just asked Ankeny hyvee 2 if they had any Toppling Goliath left. Guy said they sold out yesterday. Got to talking to him a little bit. Then was talking to another beer shopper about Beer Advocate, when the manager hands me a bottle of Pseudo Sue!! It does pay to be nice to people...... Sometimes.

Bond111 likes this.
  8. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

There is way more BB XXV than Green Monster :)

dbossman and Herky21 like this.
  9. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Yeah, the chances of Iowa seeing a single case of Green Monster are slim. That was a super limited release, most of which was sold out of the taproom, with very select distribution beyond that.

Other distro news, Jeremy Danner tweeted at me that Des Moines/Central Iowa will be receiving it's allotment of Boulevard BBQ later this week, but stressed that in no way meant it would be on shelves this week. Just that the distributor will have it. Therefore, we can suspect that BBQ should be hitting shelves in the coming week(s). :)

Finally, Founder's Harvest Ale will be on the next Founder's shipment to Des Moines/Central Iowa, which should be mid-month. Will hopefully see it soon after.

10. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Coralville Hyvee had 1 case of BLVD BBQ last week, and I believe got another today. Picked one up last week, and really enjoyed the vanilla character I got. Tasty brew.
    Cheers!

11. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (320) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Aye, I picked up 2 bottles of BBQ at Oakland Road Hyvee yesterday. I would suspect the DSM area should be getting it soon.

12. Herky21

nice. and speaking of Harvest ales, SN's Northern Hemisphere is on shelves in the DSM area.

And btw, did Bell's Java Stout go up in price or am I mis-remembering what it goes for. Seems like $16.99 is higher than last year.

13. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I believe it's still $14.99 in Cedar Rapids, same as last year.

14. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (145) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

Boulevard BBQ at the Fort Madison Hy-Vee $11.99

15. BottleCaps80

I noticed the price and remembered it being cheaper last year as well. Wheat Love was $11.99 and Expedition/Java/Third Coast all had a price tag of $16.99 at a recent trip to Ankeny HyVee#2. Therefore I only picked up Expedition and Wheat Love for now. Will pick up there others later hopefully, but running out of fridge/cellar space.

16. Herky21

Just grabbed mine at BeerCrazy. Java was $2.50 a bottle so $15 for a sixer - better than $17. Expedition was $2.70 a bottle so $16.20 a sixer. Not too bad. My cellars expanded into my girlfriends condo so I've got plenty of space haha.

17. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

I feel like I'm always the guy in here asking the "when is such and such beer showing up." But does anybody when to expect Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA? I think it's out around St. Louis now. Just curious because it's such a great beer!

18. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Friday in Iowa City. Got a sample dropped off today bottled 10/1

19. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Quick, somewhat off topic question. I'm heading to Des Moines next week. I've looked around on Beerfly, but I figured the locals are better to ask. Good beer stores in the area? I have a car so I'm willing to drive around.

20. BottleCaps80

Top 3 stores in Des Moines (in order, but all are fantastic):
    1. Ankeny HyVee#2 (Prairie Trail HyVee)
    2. Fleur HyVee
    3. Pleasant Hill HyVee

21. chadillac3

chadillac3 Zealot (75) Iowa Dec 5, 2012

My wife just picked up the last Boulevard BBQ on the shelf at Oakland Road Hyvee...also picked up some Zombie Monkie. Nice that she loves good beer, too. :)

22. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

23. BottleCaps80

Boulevard BBQ has hit Cyclone Liquors in Ames. I would assume Des Moines will be very, very soon as well.

24. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Hy Vee drug at 42nd and University still has Crooked Stave.

25. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Plenty of BBQ still around Cedar Rapids. Also, the newest Enjoy By has hit without much for advertising.

26. bravefan44

bravefan44 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 13, 2013

Just piping in from Cedar Falls: our HyVee Wine and Spirits has 2+ cases of FBS left. Last time I was there they had some BBQ left. They also have at least 3 different brews from Boulder Beer Co, which is new to Iowa, I believe.

27. BottleCaps80

Stone Double Bastard and Boulevard BBQ will be hitting shelves in Des Moines today. Word on the street is there are a few 3L, swing-top bottles of Double Bastard that will be arriving on Nov 4th. as well...but not sure where they'll land on shelves or how many there are (or price for that matter).

Also, Boulevard Pop Up IPA is being bottled this morning...3,400 cases to be exact, so we should be seeing that on shelves very soon.

28. BottleCaps80

Peace Tree just got a truck full of bombers delivered today. Pending label approvals, they will be filled with Templeton Red and Imperial Stout very soon! I had the Templeton Red (barrel aged Flanders Red) at the Iowa Craft Beer fest and was very impressed. Glad to see they will be bottling that beer.

29. BottleCaps80

^^^Clarification. Peace Tree will be bottling the Templeton Red (Flanders Red aged in Templeton Rye barrels) and Templeton Imperial Stout (aged in Templeton Rye barrels), pending label approvals.

30. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

With the shutdown, and all... you're telling us this could be awhile? ;)

31. BottleCaps80

At least they are brewing two styles that won't go bad sitting in barrels waiting for label approval!

redblacks75 likes this.
  32. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

Can't wait for the Templeton Red to come out. Tried that at the taproom once and it was awesome!!!

33. BottleCaps80

Yeah...I'm really glad they are bottling that one. Peace Tree doesn't usually blow me away (I hate their yeast strain, which is present in almost ALL of their beers), but the Templeton Red I had was awesome. Probably my favorite beer of theirs I've had, other than No Coast IPA (which uses an American ale yeast. Wish they would bottle that one too).

34. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Rob P. and I just had this exact conversation...funny. This is some exiting news though!!

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  35. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Not really distro news, but I stopped for a pint at Single Speed in Cedar Falls and tried their Pilot Basil pale ale and it was very delicious! Sorry to get off track, carry on.

36. ZROC

ZROC Aficionado (100) Iowa Jul 10, 2011

I haven't gotten a chance to try much of anything new from these guys, just stuck in a lame distro area....but im trying. But I must agree with your comment on the yeast strain. In fact, 2 years ago at the craft beer tent the head brewer was on stage answering questions and I had to call him out. Why man, why haha. These new beers do sound delightful and hopefully I get to try them. Roadtrip anyone?

BrettHead and BottleCaps80 like this.
  37. Herky21

No coast IPA is delicious. They had a Session IPA in their taproom with american yeast as well. Delicious. Any time they use a different yeast they make a much better beer. Even the kolsch is an improvement.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  38. DollCraftTrav

DollCraftTrav Aficionado (120) Iowa Aug 14, 2012

Double Bastard is scheduled for a Nov. 4 release. Also, Stone Crime & Punishment and Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean will be coming as well.

BrettHead and BottleCaps80 like this.
  39. BottleCaps80

Thanks for clarify the Double Bastard release date! Didn't think Iowa would be seeing any Crime/Punishment bottles, as it sounded pretty limited to California in the past. Stoked! Thanks for the news, Trav!

40. BottleCaps80

Absolutely agree about the Kolsch. Great example of the style. I think if they started utilizing more American yeast strains, they could really branch out and create more great beers, instead of mediocre beers. To me, their Belgian strain makes all so their beers taste like candy! Too sweet! It over powers all other flavors. I want to like Hop Wrangler, but I just can't. Same with Hop Sutra.

Hawkharvs likes this.