1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (365) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

They get a discount?! Why?

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Love Child has been $8.99 the last two years in the Twin Cities. Not sure why, but I'm guessing distributor pricing error and everyone reaps the benefit.

3. HawkeyeNation

Damn! Lucky them.

4. daledeee

daledeee Savant (450) Iowa Nov 11, 2002

I see Double Trouble is in some states? When does it come to Iowa?

BrettHead likes this.
  5. jamal32

jamal32 Aficionado (120) Iowa Jul 31, 2008

Mirror Mirror is going on tap in Okoboji this Saturday!

jkwikkel and BrettHead like this.
  6. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

Doll rep wants to sell me to replace my Saga handle with something from Schlafly. Oddly, I've never had any of their beers. Any suggestions, or do I tell him that I'm keeping my Saga?

7. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Depends how much Saga you sell. People like new products. Hype up the Schlafly, put it on for a keg, see how it does and act accordingly. They're both relatively inexpensive kegs.

8. jkwikkel

3-4 (1/6 bbl) kegs/week, but for comparison, that's faster than we sell Bud Light.

9. ElJosharino

ElJosharino Savant (255) Nebraska May 3, 2013

Well that makes it easy. Take off Bud Light and put on Schlafly.

10. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, that's moving through some Saga! I say keep er on!

Anyone have ideas as to what Bait Shop is putting on? Whole lotta teasing going on on Facebook.

BrettHead likes this.
  11. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (470) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

In the Waterloo market, Schlafly has nothing that would rival Saga in terms of appeal or sales (other than pumpkin during fall).

12. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aficionado (245) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

I think Saga's terrific and I do enjoy Schlafly offerings. If Saga is selling well, the only Schlafly I would replace it with would be American IPA
    I wish Schlafly's American IPA was a year round offering as that would be what I would suggest, or the Taz, but as far as one that could take over for Saga, I would say hold off.

13. Shhh! If the rest of the Minnesotans get wind of this blasphemy talk of removing Saga this thread will be railroaded any day.

BrettHead and jkwikkel like this.
  14. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Savant (275) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

I thought the Schlafly APA was ok at best. IMO, keep the Saga.

iabeerbaron likes this.
  15. DollCraftEric

DollCraftEric Aficionado (140) Iowa May 10, 2013

Care to share the name of your establishment? You can direct message me if you don't want to make it public.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    BrettHead likes this.
  16. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aficionado (245) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

Agreed, the dry hopped APA is decent, the A IPA is much better.

ToddSoonerFan likes this.
  17. squashington

squashington Disciple (65) Iowa May 22, 2013

Why are you buying 1/6 barrels if you're turning 3-4 a week?

18. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (470) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Good call on the Taz

19. jkwikkel

Thank you, but I don't think that's necessary. I believe that the owner may have expressed interest in another beer, and that's where the suggestions began.

20. HawkeyePA

HawkeyePA Savant (260) Iowa Jan 7, 2014

As mentioned before, Love Child No. 4 now at Fleur and Prairie Trail Hy Vee. I'm sure others as well.

Berg77 likes this.
  21. jruno

jruno Zealot (75) Iowa Apr 1, 2014

Just picked up Love Child 4 and Royal 41 at Happys in Cedar Falls. Love Child was $19.99, is that a bit more expensive than elsewhere?

22. dragonaut

dragonaut Savant (255) Iowa May 29, 2005

I've seen it for as little as $16-17 in Des Moines last year, but paid $18.99 at Prairie Trail last night.

Iowa Beverage recieved the FFF/New Belgium Gr├Ątzer in their warehouse today, starts delivering to DSM metro accounts next week.

redblacks75 and iabeerbaron like this.
  23. Has anyone seen any love child in the quad cities yet?

24. BottleCaps80

Rush River Brewing is coming to Iowa soon, via Abu Nawas distribution. Cool to see Abu Nawas land a regional brewery that is outside of their normal Shelton Brothers, Artisanal Imports, Tweleve Percent portfolios.

neonbrown82, markcp and iabeerbaron like this.
  25. HawkeyeNation

That's cool and all, but looking at the reviews on this site it doesn't look to be anything outstanding that I should be excited about. Is there something I'm missing?

26. dragonaut

He has Adnams, too. Cool to see him going after British beer, though I'll stick with my Bitter Brewer for now.

27. BottleCaps80

Never had a Rush River beer before, so I won't comment on that. I was simply stating that I think it's cool to see Abu Nawas (a very small, but solid distributor) starting to branch out to land a regional brewery deal. It's basically a one man show, but Frederique works his tail off. Just hope that he stays with trying to land quality brewery deals, not just quantity. Up to this point though, he's bringing in some of the best beers Iowa gets.

28. HawkeyeNation

Oh I agree with you fully on some of the best beers we get. I had just never heard of them today and after reading reviews, I'll probably never try them. There's just too much beer out there sometimes! Now if we can just get more Bomb!...

29. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

isn't Destihl sort of regional?

30. BottleCaps80

Yeah, definitely is (Illinois). I guess I didn't realize that Abu Nawas distro'd them too!

31. ToddSoonerFan

Enjoying a Sucha Much IPA from Kalona Brewing . Found this at Ankeny Prairie Trail in the cooler instead of out in the display case. Hmmmmmmm. Very good beer. 6 pack cans!

32. TGanyone

TGanyone Savant (305) Iowa Jan 29, 2014

33. Will_Edgar

Will_Edgar Savant (260) Iowa Oct 23, 2013

Sue headed out to IC/CR today, QC Friday and DSM Monday.

BottleCaps80 and iabeerbaron like this.
  34. BottleCaps80

Along with fresh Dorothy as well!

Will_Edgar likes this.
  35. Will_Edgar

Will_Edgar Savant (260) Iowa Oct 23, 2013

Yes, thanks forgot to mention that!

36. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Aficionado (155) Iowa Sep 10, 2013

fwiw - I think both Schlafly AIPA and TIPA are better than Saga (TIPA being the best of the three). None of them are bad beers by any means. Schlafly's pumpkin ale in the Fall is one of the better "shelf beer" pumpkin beer offerings around.

37. dragonaut

Winter ESB and Irish-Style Extra Stout also very good. Schlafly has some pretty good seasonal sixers.

TheBeerBro likes this.
  38. dragonaut

Founder's truck hits Iowa Beverage warehouse tomorrow so we should see fresh All Day cans in the metro next week.

Abu Nawas deliveries this week included more Gose Gone Wild and a bunch of new Mikkeller stuff: HUES, French Oak Series and Show Me Cuvee. Black Hole and Black, too, which has hung around at Cyclone for ages but hasn't been available elsewhere for a while.

I know there's reviews, too, but any local BAs try any of these Mikeller lambic-style beers yet? Given the cost, I guess I'd rather just stick with Tilquin. I do dig the Keith Shore labels, though.

BrettHead likes this.
  39. ToddSoonerFan

Any chance of Double Trouble included on that Founders delivery?

40. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I would think so. It's in the warehouse here.