Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (365) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Coffee Milk Stout peaks my interests. I guess we will get that tomorrow in the Eastern half.

2. nickbman

nickbman Savant (300) Iowa Feb 7, 2013

You can sill afford beer after this weekend?!? :)

3. HawkeyeNation

It's a Stone beer. Won't exactly break the bank!

4. BPHusker

BPHusker Aspirant (35) Nebraska Apr 16, 2014

Have the left hand stuff hit Council Bluffs yet?

5. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

Were you sitting at the bar? We might have chatted for a little bit on Wednesday if so.

6. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

Nope. Tomorrow (Tuesday). Tasting Thursday at my HyVee from 5-7.

BrettHead likes this.
  7. HawkeyeNation

Left Hand has arrived at Oakland Rd Hyvee.

Pintofbrown likes this.
  8. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Nope. Wasn't me. I'm going to try to get in there more often since it's basically a mile away from my house.

9. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

14 or 15 Left Hand beers at el Bait. Believe they are tapping most on Thursday. I couldn't count. Mint Milk Stout on cask at some point too.

Pintofbrown and iabeerbaron like this.
  10. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

At Johncy's too!

11. HawkeyeNation

You're a johncy.

12. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Savant (280) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

Picked up a sixer at Ankeny Prairie Trail this afternoon. Hope it's good!

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  13. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Savant (280) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

I should have stated a sixer of Stone Coffee Milk Stout. Hyvee has many, many other six packs!!

14. SaulTBauls

Dropped off some empty kegs from my wedding at Pleasant Hill HyVee, I really could not believe how much Surly they had. Probably 5-6 cases still of Bitter Brewer. This was once my least favorite Surly beer, but is now probably #2 behind Abrasive as far as regular releases go (I'm not counting Darkness, Wet, Pentagram or any of those special releases). Cheers to Iowa!

15. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

What were they charging for a 4pk?

16. SaulTBauls

You know, I don't even remember, I was so excited to see them, I just bought them. I want to say 8.99 or 9.99.

17. dragonaut

dragonaut Savant (255) Iowa May 29, 2005

They've been coming in a little high relative to the Twin Cities, Bitter Brewer and Hell at Prairie Trail were $10.99, so more in line with Furious relative to the $8/4pk they go for in the Twin Cities. Was still worth it to get a super fresh, unfiltered Pils. I passed on Bitter Brewer, but only because I'd just polished off three 4pks. It's become one of my favorite beers they make and look forward to it becoming year-round when they get the new brewery online.

iabeerbaron and BottleCaps80 like this.
  18. HawkeyeNation

Anyone in the IC/CR area know when we'll get Stone Coffee Milk Stout?

19. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (225) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

I heard yesterday, so it's a crap shoot at this point.

20. HawkeyeNation

When I asked Oakland Rd yesterday morning they said that Fleck Sales still had a stock of Stone Saison, so I am hoping we don't have to wait until that's gone..

21. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Savant (255) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

Head from Benz that it will be end of the month with the next Stone shipment, hope they were wrong.

22. Roudy1

Benz said that it will hopefully be on the next Stone delivery which is mid-late month. Hmm.

23. SamT

SamT Aficionado (150) Iowa May 21, 2014

Stone Saison is not in the same line as the Coffee Milk Stout so it won't have to run out, its simply a matter of waiting for the beer to land.

24. HawkeyeNation

Just find it weird that the Western half of the state already has it. I was just assuming that Fleck had it in their possession as well. Do you work for Fleck?

25. Roudy1

I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about but how are seasonals not the same line? Saison is the summer seasonal and coffee milk stout is the fall seasonal as far as I know.

BrettHead likes this.
  26. SamT

Yup totally mistaken on that, my fault!

27. SamT

On mobile so I can't figure out how to quote other posts but the different distributors have different regularly scheduled shipment dates. Look for it to hit shelves in the last week of August.

28. BottleCaps80

Founder's Dissenter IPL has hit DSM area shelves. It's $10.99/750ml bottle. I picked one up today, as it's getting good reviews. Sounds like it drinks more like an IPA, but with that clean, dry lager finish.

redblacks75 likes this.
  29. SaulTBauls

I was just going to ask about this. Stopped at Fleur for groceries and dipped in to the wine and spirits. Just got back from being out of the States for a week, so I wasn't sure if this was new or if it had been on shelves for a week without anyone saying a thing. Excited to try it no less.

30. Roudy1

If I could have a couple of beers at two breweries in Des Moines where should I go? I'm thinking 515 for the OJ IPA for sure. It doesn't seem like their style is dark beers though so if want to go somewhere for a stout or porter probably as well. Confluence? Exile?

31. BottleCaps80

• 515 for hoppy beers for sure: Dart Dodger, OJ IPA and Hopititis C are all fantastic!
    • Confluence has a nice oatmeal stout on nitro right now: High Water.
    • Firetrucker in Ankeny has a nice porter: Pumper Truck.
    • If you want sour, hit up Rock Bottom in WDSM and get the An Cat Dubh (Irish Dry Stout barrel-aged with Brett). Their Illuminator Dopplebock is fantastic too. They also have a Cedar Ridge barrel-aged version of that if you are looking for something potent!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  32. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I have to be honest here. It really amuses me that everyone is so gung ho for Left Hand. A few years ago when they left, not one person gave a shit. I can only assume they are bringing back the same mediocre lineup they left with. Why the excitement????

33. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (225) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

Milk Stout Nitro is a good beer, but yeah, it's hard to be upset for six packs running $10-$12 dollars when we already have Founders, Bells, and Stone beers available that are better and less expensive. Hell, I'd put their best beer (Milk Stout Nitro) under Buffalo Sweat.

34. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

Stopped by the Fluer HyVee tonight they had Surly Bitter Brewer for 9.99. A bunch of Left Hand Nitro Stout and the Stone IPL which was 10.99 a bomber. I was elated to finally get my hands on Surly without driving to the Twin Cities hell even my wife was excited for me!

35. BottleCaps80

I not at all Gung-ho for their return. Other than maybe 1-2 sixers of Nitro Milk Stout a year, I don't see myself buying anything else from them. Just slightly more exciting than say, Boulder Beer Co for me.

BrettHead likes this.
  36. Roudy1

I feel like Left Hand serves a purpose in the market. Entry level stuff. I'm sure Nitro Milk Stout will be on year round at a lot of places and a big seller. But no, not excited at all.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  37. HawkeyeNation

Not excited here, either.

38. Roudy1

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it to 515 as today is my only chance and they don't open until 4 and I have other plans. Does El Bait or any other bars have 515 beers on tap?

39. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Last Friday El Bait had a keg of OJ IPA on tap. Not sure if it's kicked since or not. Normally their brewery is the only place to get their beers. They're not even big enough to fill growlers yet. I think that's only the second (?) keg they've distributed.

For Des Moines breweries, I would suggest hitting 515, Confluence and Rock Bottom. Strange to put Rock Bottom on the list, I know, but our brewer here does fantastic stuff.

40. BottleCaps80

As Matt said above, 515 has only ever had kegs on tap at El Bait (outside of their taproom) and even then, very few. I looked on El Bait's current tap list and didn't see 515 listed as being on, but there are about 5 beers from Confluence, 3 from Firetrucker, 2 from Rock Bottom, 1 from Exile and 1 from New American....so a good selection of local Des Moines beers flowing if you want to just hit one spot.