1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Founder's just replied to my tweet and said that Harvest Ale will be in Iowa next week.

BrettHead likes this.
  2. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

More great news!!

3. Hawkharvs

Word is that Celebration is set to be released soon as well!

4. BottleCaps80

Sierra Nevada Celebration has hit Des Moines today! Currently on shelves.

jlpred55 and Hawkharvs like this.
  5. BottleCaps80

Picked up a sixer last night...it's drinking amazingly this year!

6. Palsie

Palsie Aficionado (160) Iowa Jul 10, 2013

Any word on backwoods?

7. dckepley

dckepley Savant (365) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Celebration has made it to Ames...so has Deschutes Jubelale.

8. BottleCaps80

Think that's a November release. And being a Founder's beer....who knows when we'll see it in Central Iowa. Iowa Beverage seems to sit on their Founder's product for a while after they receive it for some reason. I'm sure they already have Harvest Ale, but still haven't delivered it to accounts yet. Frustrating!

Rob-P likes this.
  9. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (365) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Really? I remember I got Devil Dancer before people in Michigan even got it. Still hoping for Harvest Ale soon!

10. Hawkharvs

Also...sounds like the allotment of Bourbon County this year to the DSM area will be significantly smaller than last year.

11. squashington

squashington Disciple (65) Iowa May 22, 2013

Hop Trip or Chasin Freshies hit central IA yet? I was told this week but no word from our rep.

12. BottleCaps80

60% less than last year. No word on if that includes variant allotments as well, but I would assume so.

13. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Staying in the Davenport area on business. I've been soaking up the local beers (Bent River, Great River, Against the Grain, RIBCo, etc) but was really hoping to snag a bottle of Sosus and/or PsuedoSue. Any chance I'll get lucky in this town? Can anyone point me to a place that may have them? Or is my only option to drive to Iowa City and drink it on tap?

14. BottleCaps80

Iowa City on tap would be your only option right now, as bottles are long gone. Unless there is a local Davenport establishment that has it on tap too? Short's Burgers in Iowa City should have about 7-8 TG beers on tap though.

15. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Bummer. I knew it was a long shot.

Kinda seems like the QC area has lots of breweries/brewpubs but no good bottle shops.

16. WKole81

WKole81 Aficionado (115) Illinois May 8, 2013

You won't find Toppling Goliath in the quad cites. I usually go to Shorts in Iowa City and get it on tap. I also go to The Sanctuary Pub in Iowa City and get growlers of Toppling Goliath to take home. The only bottle shops in the quad cities are Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits. Make sure to check out the stores in Iowa and Illinois because the selection varies from store to store.

mjohnson17 likes this.
  17. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Is this for the whole state? I kind of have a hard time believing this. Reasoning?

18. BottleCaps80

It's for Doll Distribution's footprint anyway. The reason is because even though there is much more production of BCBS this year, Goose Island is going to move it to ALL states they distribute to. There are a lot of markets that haven't gotten BCBS in the past... primarily California and other large west coast markets. Less goes to Iowa this year because of that.

19. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

I think its because all of their markets are getting it this year. That or I know some places in Iowa had it sitting on shelves for MONTHS. I won't complain if we get 4 packs of coffee and BW.

20. Roudy1

That's exactly what I figured..there was more made but they also added new markets. Yes, there were a few places where it sat...but ANYTHING that's released sits at those places...I feel like the Iowa market has grown over the last year or two and I thought we were representing craft beer pretty well...maybe not?

21. Will_Edgar

Will_Edgar Savant (285) Iowa Oct 23, 2013

Not sure Zeelander is a loser. If you've had the OJ IPA or New Zealand Cousin from 515 Brewery it's very similar anf an outstanding beer in my my opinion. Not sure why you didn't mention pseudosue. Lol

22. Hawkharvs

Heard, though, that some new brews are going to be released in the same line as Juliet, Matilda, etc.

23. 26hawk26

26hawk26 Disciple (50) Nebraska Mar 21, 2012

The Fleur Hy Vee just tweeted that the next two days could be very exciting for Des Moines beer fans. Anyone know what this is about? Harvest Ale??

24. BottleCaps80

All I will say is that some of it is Founders related. No further comment until the news comes out from the source. ;)

25. BottleCaps80

They just tweeted that Harvest Ale is here and is "highly allocated." More Founders news to come though I'm pretty sure!

26. BottleCaps80

OK...they just tweeted the rest of the awesome Founders news....Backwoods Bastard hits shelves today too!!! This was a very nice surprise, as it's usually a Nov. release. Week early!

Palsie likes this.
  27. BottleCaps80

The new Samuel Adams Tetravis Barrel Aged Quad hits shelves in Central Iowa today as well. Limited release.

28. BottleCaps80

Update on this....

....as I suspected, HyVee Fleur has now said they can't sell this until Nov. 1st, as that is the official release date. It's apparently in stock though!

29. BottleCaps80

Deschutes Inversion IPA will be arriving in Iowa on Nov. 18th. Chasin' Freshines and Hop Trip will be next week!

30. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Did you see what El Bait Shop is tapping tomorrow? Wow!

[​IMG]

31. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Abu Nawas now distributing to Des Moines??? I believe they are (were?) the only HF distributer in IA.

32. SaulTBauls

Man, if they got that from Vermont...I wonder what else they have in store...

33. Roudy1

I saw that earlier. If I lived in Des Moines and didn't have commitments this weekend I know where I would be. I know some Hill Farmstead has showed up here and there in Iowa but I feel like this should be big news. Sounds like they are doing a few things from New England area this weekend.

34. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Arctic Saison? That was not the brew I expected at the Northside Oktoberfest from HF, but that's what they had. Very good, but I was dreaming of trying a solo HF brew.

HawkeyeNation likes this.
  35. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Yeah, would hope not Arctic Saison although that beer is good.

36. Roudy1

The picture had #walden. Which is apparently a Blonde Ale.

37. SaulTBauls

Belgian Pale.

38. BottleCaps80

Abu Nawas has been distributing to Des Moines for about a year now. Frederique went to Hill Farmstead a few months ago, if I remember his tweets correctly. I'm wondering if he picked this up then?

On the beer itself, it is indeed Walden, which is a Belgian pale. Shaun Hill saw the tweet from El Bait and asked something along the lines of "why are you tapping a 2.5 month old keg of a 4.4% pale that was meant to be consumed as fresh as possible?" I'd be a little pissed if I were him and that was the first time someone got a taste of his beer and thought it sucked because it wasn't served as it was supposed to be and was past prime.

BrettHead likes this.
  39. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Hype alone will have at least half the people fawning over it, but I agree, beer that is supposed to be enjoyed fresh should in fact be enjoyed fresh.

BrettHead likes this.
  40. BottleCaps80

Exactly! I mean...I get that El Bait is stoked to be able to tap ANY beer from Hill Farmstead, as they are the only place in Iowa to have a keg of their beer. BUT...serving a beer that is way past it's prime and may reflect poorly on the brewery is a bummer and something I'd be hesitant to do if it were my bar. They'll make a shitload of money for sure though. HYPE!