1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa beer distro news

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 17, 2013.

1. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aficionado (200) Iowa Apr 22, 2014

Weird, I'd "overheard" they were sold out earlier today?!

2. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Heard the same as well.

3. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I got 1 bottle of KS at 1st ave Hy-vee, and 1 Sosus at John's. I could have bought 2 Sosus, but left the last one for someone else to have. I HATE having to drive around to get 1 damn bottle. Waste of time. I also heard they are going to do a draft account purge, to bottle more.

Spinaltapped likes this.
  4. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Aficionado (235) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

That was this morning, I didn't get any so I'm not sure when it was sold out.

5. Roudy1

Good luck to you guys in Des Moines today trying to get TG. 24 bottles of each in CR. About 48 of each in Iowa City.

6. Beestin

Beestin Savant (325) Iowa Jan 4, 2014

Ugh.. I'd rather they just send some kegs to El Bait and have everyone get together to share it. This racing to the store for a chance at 1 bottle during the work day doesn't work for most people.

aubzachsyd, BottleCaps80 and pkassel like this.
  7. dragonaut

dragonaut Aficionado (230) Iowa May 29, 2005

No Naughty for distro today. At least not at Prairie Trail. So 1 CS Sosus/King Sue each store. Try to be polite and not chase trucks to buy multiples although I'm sure a lot of you have pre-trades to fill. *grumble*

8. sdriley

sdriley Aspirant (30) Iowa Jul 2, 2013

Does Prairie Trail already have them in stock?

9. dragonaut

no

10. nickbman

nickbman Savant (285) Iowa Feb 7, 2013

DSM the only area to get 1 case of each?

11. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

No. Think that was the standard this time around. Bit of a waste of a trip if you ask me.

mattafett and redblacks75 like this.
  12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I really have to bite my tongue right now not to make a comment, but I'll be nice.

In other Iowa distro news....apparently we aren't getting Clown Shoes Ride The Lion?

13. SaulTBauls

Say it! Say it! Say it!

Does anyone know of any Des Moines stores that got Mikkeller Hues?

14. Roudy1

Cue the whining because el Bait Shop is getting a keg of King Sue and the Eastern side of the state didn't...

15. SaulTBauls

Well...Bait Shop was supposed to get a keg of King Sue the last time they kegged it...but that got taken to Dark Lord Day instead.

16. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

It's my hot body, I'll whine if I want! Just joshin. Drank that fine King Sue last night, I don't usually drink mango/orange juice that time of day. My goodness it was tasty. Love the hazy juicy look to it, too. Cheers to all the BAs out there. Let's keep it positive out there. Is this (beer) heaven? Nope, just em effin' Iowa!

17. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (405) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I've seen it in Cedar Rapids for what it's worth.

18. SaulTBauls

I think some of you have dipped into your beer a little too early today.

19. Roudy1

More Bitter Brewer and Hell have showed up in CR.

SaulTBauls likes this.
  20. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Nope. Still work a job that doesn't allow a post in WBAYDN until roughly 5:30 p.m. That is unless I sneak over to Red's or Big Grove for lunch. Just thought we, myself included, were getting a little negative.
    Cheers!

21. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of getting a bottle of King Sue and Sosus today in Ankeny. It's better than making the trek 3 1/2 hours to Decorah. I did have the day off. Some TG is better than none at all. Selfishly, I still think they ought to take better care of IOWA. But, I'm happy for now. CHEERS

22. Ivan_drago

Ivan_drago Disciple (65) Iowa Apr 2, 2014

They're doing a really good job considering how popular they are. Think about it - the day after they get bottles in, they load them up and drive them all over the state to the biggest markets. What do you want them to do differently?

ToddSoonerFan likes this.
  23. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Bummer. I thought IA was "definitely" getting it after not getting Billionaire

24. ToddSoonerFan

Read the post again, as far as what I want them to do differently. Thanx.

25. Ivan_drago

I read it again and still don't know what you want them to do. You said "take better care of iowa." Like, not send any to LaCrosse or Madison, all within 30-90 mins of them with huge markets? Come on.

We want them to be successful. They're incredibly successful so far. They're only going to get bigger. Give them a break. They're doing as good as we could ask for at this point, and I appreciate all their hard work.

Ejayz likes this.
  26. ToddSoonerFan

I never said I didn't appreciate their hard work. I didn't say anything about going into wisconsin. Huge markets?? Hmmm. What are YOU implying ?? I love their beer! We can agree to disagree about their distribution to the IOWA markets.

27. SaulTBauls

I dunno...the largest market in Iowa has been without TG draft lines now for about a month. Just saying. Really feel like they're spreading themselves pretty thin at this point and they are going to have to start making some decisions that may not please their customers.

28. dragonaut

Still on the shelf at Prairie Trail in Ankeny. Some 2011-2012 small format Tilquin Gueuze, too, which I think might provide you a superior experience, as well, though I haven't had Hues yet and have heard pretty good things. Show Me CuveƩ was just awful when we had it at a tasting recently.

29. Roudy1

Sounds like either Mornin Delight or KBBS up in Decorah today.

30. Roudy1

Check Clark's tweet from a few minutes ago. It's the mind games man. Maybe they have MD?

31. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Savant (320) Iowa Oct 7, 2013

They don't distribute to the largest areas in Iowa on a consistent basis, but I don't think that's how they distribute. I think they base it on how long the area has had accounts with them. Davenport is the 3rd largest city in Iowa and combined with the rest of the Quad Cities has a 2013 population of 383,681 with a 5 county Metro area of 474,937. Des Moines is 203,433/594,600. Des Moines and Iowa City has had accounts from, I believe, since they started or close to it. Quad City hasn't so I think that's why we miss out on Lightspeed, Assassin, Sosus and King Sue. If that's the case then so be it. I'm patient and I'll wait for the day where they distribute to us on a consistent basis. As long as the quality doesn't suffer.

32. aubzachsyd

I agree with you on the spreading thin statement. They have spread into Wisconsin and perhaps taking some of the beer intended for Iowa markets. If that's the case then so be it. I know I've raided Wisconsin many times for New Glarus so maybe we're even. I know of a store in Wisconsin that has had Sue, Nugget and ZeeLander in the cooler for close to 2 weeks. And no it wasn't another shipment. That beer would have been gone in 2 hours tops here but TG has made the decision to distribute there first and I respect that decision.

33. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (310) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

On the topic of things still on the shelf, I'm getting kind of ticked about price increases on certain beers. When Bomb, first got here it was like $6.99 a bottle. I was hesitant to buy it at that price but got a couple anyway. NOW, it's still sitting on the shelf a month or so later at $10.99 a bottle. I really like bomb! but in no market will I pay that much per bottle just because it got popular or because a distributor thought that's what the market price should be on it.

davesway10 likes this.
  34. aubzachsyd

Could not agree more. That's why I didn't buy any Bomb when it dropped. It's good but damn........

HawkeyeNation likes this.
  35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Bomb is good, but not worth anything over $5-6/bottle, if you ask me. I'll never buy at current prices. I can get Luchador en Fuego for $13.99/bomber. To me, it's nearly as good as Bomb for a "mexican/chille stout" AND it is barrel-aged to boot.

BeersAndBears and HawkeyeNation like this.
  36. bocky24

bocky24 Aficionado (180) Iowa Apr 10, 2013

Agreed, I actually enjoyed Luchador better then Bomb. I actually traded for bomb and was disappointed.

37. Beestin

Beestin Savant (325) Iowa Jan 4, 2014

Especially when Fleur had them on sale for $10 flat

BeersAndBears and BottleCaps80 like this.
  38. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

Spoke to the Surly rep at the Great Nebraska Beerfest, Surly cans throughout Iowa at the end of November at the earliest.

39. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

/me crosses his fingers for Abrasive

BottleCaps80, dbossman and Ristaccia like this.
  40. Ivan_drago

It's 7 or 8 bucks everywhere else in the nation that I've traded with.

Some Iowa stores are notorious for gouging - the Cedar Falls HyVee W/S is the absolute worst.

They even jacked the price on Sue bombers to 10.99 last year once, which resulted in TG suspending their account for a year. The first TG delivery they got in a long time was Assassin.

They're still doing it on everything else- refuse to put a beer on any sort of discount, regardless of the age. Heck, they are still trying to sell (last time I checked) bottles of Stone Stochasticty Grapefruit for $13.99 a bottle. It's got to be just nasty now - I literally wouldn't pay $3 for it - and the manager said "It's still fine" when I asked him about it a few months ago.

I get angry about how bad they gouge, but what can you do? Start your own store and try to price war with them?