1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa Rumors?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mdwalsh, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Could that be DollCraftTrav's refference a while back to "smoke"????

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Surly distro to Iowa would be fantastic if true!

3. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

I second that even if it was just one styleof beer because after all one is better than none!!

4. BottleCaps80

Hawkharvs likes this.
  5. Hawkharvs

Best rumor ever...

6. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Unless Omar or Todd comes in this thread and says otherwise, I think Surly in Iowa will come after the new brewery is up and running. That is still at least a year or more away.

7. As much as I would like it to be true, I find it highly unlikely.

8. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

My sentiments exactly

9. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

This is probably true. Still, Surly in Iowa (even a year away) would be a great thing. :)

10. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

The Madhouse Templeton barrel aged imperial stout is in at John's, $10. I think we got in 4 cases total.

11. That Imperial Red made me never want to try another Madhouse beer again. That being said, I enjoyed Iowa hops.

12. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Look for Hopslam today in Cedar Rapids.

13. Hawkharvs

I believe today is the official release date for hopslam across all Iowa.

redblacks75 likes this.
  14. DollCraftTrav

DollCraftTrav Aficionado (120) Iowa Aug 14, 2012

Does anyone know why they held onto Hopslam so long?

15. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

Hopslam it western Iowa today, Council Bluffs... etc.

As for Surly... seems really unlikely they are coming to Iowa but beyond awesome if they did.

16. millertime416

millertime416 Savant (255) Iowa Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone know if it was our distributors or Bell's who was sitting on this for so long? I just picked up a case in Iowa City and it was bottled on 1/9/13.

Not that it's bad, but this is somewhat disappointing given that people who just got this in GA, PI and WI are reporting bottle dates of the 23rd or latter.

17. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

Omg it is 3 weeks old. Boycott! Boycott!

millertime416 likes this.
  18. millertime416

No I'm not saying it's bad, just seemed unusual and was wondering if distributors were just sitting on this for some reason.

19. What I want to know...is where the 8 cases of black note coming to Iowa went, specifically the one that was headed to Johns!

20. pepsican

The distributor got the kegs and cases at the same time, so they were sitting on the Hopslam for a few weeks. Our rep couldn't do anything about it. I'm not a huge fan of Hopslam after a month or so when the cat box flavors really start to overpower the juicy hops, but I certainly don't expect our Hopslam reserve to last the day anyways. Drink up and hope for a second wave to come in like last year (I haven't heard rumors either way, just hoping).

21. Thanks for the info...I am curious as to why this happens, couldn't they have just released the bottles on the 18th? I'm not as butt hurt as others about having a delicious IPA 3 weeks old but they had to imagine some people would get salty about it

22. millertime416

Maybe someone more informed than me can confirm this. But one of the beer guys at hy-vee said the distributor essentially made a deal with Bells to exchange their allotment of Black Note for more Hopslam. Not sure if this is true, but given that they sat on fresh Hopslam I tend to think it must be.

23. JediMatt

I don't know. People are going around Des Moines buying it all up. Hy-Vee near me already sold out, goddammit. Going to try a couple more on the way home... :(

24. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Nothing like hoarding 3 week old IPA's LOL.

25. BottleCaps80

Yep. I was worried when the Hy-Vee near my work said they sold out of their 20 cases in 2 hours. Glad I was able to find more at a different Hy-Vee. I got my 2 sixers and I am content with that until next year. :)

26. bossfan23

bossfan23 Aficionado (125) Iowa Mar 26, 2012

This is ridiculous with Hopslam. Saw on the Cedar Falls Wine and Spirits page today they got it around noon. I figured that if I got there shortly after 4:00 after work, I should be good. Nope, sold out. Don't people in this town work? Damn....And it appears one Wine and Spirits in Waterloo and the one on University in CF are the only people in town that had it, unless someone can point me somewhere else that has it. Don't think any of the regular HyVee grocery stores got it.

27. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

As a stout lover this seems ludicrous. Haha. Either way, I don't see why they sat on it so long.

Also, for people looking for this in the Cedar Rapids area make sure you check all of the Hy-Vee stores...I can think of at least 4 that might have some...

28. daledeee

daledeee Savant (430) Iowa Nov 11, 2002

Hopslam. Sold out in 3 hours. Oh well, had some on tap earlier.

29. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

3 weeks is ludicrous. Who distributes in eastern IA??? 7G?

30. pepsican

31. huskermike12

Have the people running all over town buying up multiple cases ever tasted Hopslam? I am asking this seriously. It's a good beer for maybe 6 weeks after it is bottled. That gives you three weeks or so to drink what you buy. There is no possible way I would drink more than a case of Hopslam in 3 weeks. Hell, I would rather go buy a $14 growler of Golden Nugget or PsudoSue than a 6pk of Hopslam if I was going to drink multiple beers in a night. I'm not saying it isn't a good beer, but driving all over town buying multiple cases is baffling.

32. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

True. It is disappointing that they held the beer for so long though. What is the gain in that????? I bought 1 case, it is enough for a while. I do like the malt profile that takes over after the hops fade though.

33. JediMatt

Found some at Urbandale Hy-Vee last night. They still had about 6 cases left at around 3:30 or so. Mine was also bottled 1/9/13. And it HAD to have already been in Iowa, since Beer Crazy got theirs over a week ago. Don't know why the hell the distributor sat on it so long for everyone else. Regardless, one sixer will be enough for me.

34. Hawkharvs

I got one sixer as well from a friends wife who happened to have the day off yesterday.

35. BottleCaps80

For others in the DSM area looking, the Ankeny and Pleasant Hill Hy-Vees will be getting their Hopslam today. Not sure how many cases they are getting, but West Lakes Hy-Vee got 20 and 86th/Douglas got 17 cases yesterday, so their should be plenty at both the Ankeny and Pleasant Hill locations.

Also, mine was 1/9/13 too, so it appears that Johnson Brothers (who must to carry most of the Iowa Bell's distro) was definitely holding onto the Hopslam. That is pretty ridiculous, especially since they clearly released some cases to Beer Crazy on the 14th. Something fishy was going on with this, but oh well, I got mine and it is tasty as always.

36. huskermike12

Yeah, three weeks is really disappointing. I didn't even bother trying to buy any after I saw that it was three weeks old. I've got a bunch of IPA's in the last couple of weeks I would rather drink.

37. DollCraftTrav

Save your money...this goodness will go out as soon as we receive it. We don't sit on product that is intended to be enjoyed fresh.

[​IMG]

Like us on Facebook at Doll Craft Specialties for new product information and releases.

BottleCaps80 and je1129 like this.
  38. BottleCaps80

Definitely looking forward to this year's Palate Wrecker release as well. I heard to expect it hitting shelves in Central Iowa on February 5th....is that date accurate? Anyway, appreciate that you guys don't hold onto your product! Great distro!

39. DollCraftTrav

It's slated for the 5th. Might give or take a few days, but once it hits, it will be out.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  40. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

J bros had it the whole time. I picked up in the TC yesterday for 15.99,also bottled on the 9th. My guess it's Bells wanted to hold the date back, either to make it uniform across all areas or for some other reason.

On another note, I have had year old Hopslam. It gets good autism. Different, buy good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.