1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa Rumors?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mdwalsh, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (440) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

That is true in regards to Black Note from what I heard.

2. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Holy crap! Year old Hopslam causes autism? Just another reason to drink it fresh.

Rob-P likes this.
  3. millertime416

millertime416 Savant (255) Iowa Feb 14, 2009

I think this was more a move on the part of the distributor to build-hype following the draft release and prevent bottle sales from cannibalizing draft sales (and vice versa), rather than a request from Bells. I'm guessing this is also why the places that had it on tap were requested not to fill growlers. Bell's has always been pretty diligent in getting Hopslam to consumers as quick as possible after bottling. For example, last year they originally planned to do a coordinated release across all their markets on a set date, but latter changed their mind. Larry Bell issued a press release stating that such a hard release date would require some distributors to sit on the Hopslam and that "Hopslam should be consumed as fresh as possible" (see http://bellsbeer.com/blog/66-Changes_in_2012_Hopslam_Release). Moreover, from the bottle dates listed in Hopslam (2013) thread, it seems that bells consistently gets Hopslam to each market in less than a week of bottling.

While I think the freshness element may sometimes get exaggerated on these forums, and I really think 3-week old Hopslam is still pretty fresh, I think this move by the distributor really shows a lack understanding and respect for the quality of the product they are carrying. After all, Hopslam in bottles and draft was always going to sell out (and fast). I sent an email to Bells, stating my disappointment with the situation, and I can only hope that in the future they instruct the distributor not to this again.

BrettHead likes this.
  4. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Altoona Hyvee has 2 cases remaining selling a limit of one six-pack per customer.

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (625) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Not to mention, we have no clue whether this was kept refrigerated the whole it was being sat on. I know when I got mine at Hy-Vee, the cases were not refrigerated. Hy-Vee of course knew they wouldn't need to stock/shelve this beer as it would be gone ASAP, but makes me hope at least Johnson Bros kept it refrigerated for the last 2+ weeks while in storage.

If anyone feels compelled to e-mail Johnson Bros directly and voice their opinion, here is the corporate e-mail: [email protected]

And the Iowa contact: [email protected]

BrettHead likes this.
  6. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

Hopslam for $14.99 at Whole Foods in Des Moines according to their FB page.

7. redblacks75

I have emailed both. I also made sure to point out that they have no idea what they are doing, point in example being holding onto the Hopslam, and trading their allotment of Black Note off.

How disappointing.

BrettHead likes this.
  8. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

Replying to myself...may have sold out yesterday. Not certain.

9. redblacks75

Here's an update. Johnson Brothers within an hour responded via telephone to my email. The justification on the late delivery of the Hopslam is because the cases were awarded to accounts based on their sales through the 25th of the month. Their allotment was received earlier, and they did not want to go back on there word, and award cases with time still to be had to increase sales at retail locations. They only received their cases seven days prior to today. Or, in other words, they did not hold onto it for an excessive amount of time.

I suppose though, as the phone call caught me off guard, I should have clarified as to why the kegs were here earlier than a week ago.

About Black Note, they DID NOT, trade their allocation for more Hopslam. It's just that they have not received any yet. The gentleman I spoke with seemed to know his business, and what he was speaking on. It was prefaced with apologies, and told me to call direct if there were any future issues, or concerns. He handles it well, and seems to honestly want to represent Bells well.

In other words, I am fairly satisfied with the whole situation.

BottleCaps80, BrettHead and je1129 like this.
  10. Hawkharvs

Redblacks...that jives with I was told by the wine and spirits manager at a local hyvee. Same manager also said Black Note was a big question mark. He was hoping to get at least some in fron the distributor and would sell single bottles if need be.

redblacks75 likes this.
  11. millertime416

millertime416 Savant (255) Iowa Feb 14, 2009

Well thats good to know and I'm impressed they called you back. I kept hearing bad news/rumors from liquor stores around town, but this may have just been the result of frustration on the part of store workers/owners. I guess it's sometimes easiest to blame the middleman. Hopefully we still get some black note though.

Life was much less stressful before I started paying attention to bottle dates.

BrettHead likes this.
  12. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

This is exactly what I was told when I called. However, even the middle men need to remember that it is the end user that dictates what is bought.

BottleCaps80 and redblacks75 like this.
  13. BottleCaps80

That is cool they actually called you back and I'm also satisfied with the explanation tbey gave you. Thanks for inquiring with them.

Still wonder why Beer Crazy got theirs over 2 weeks ago though and they are apparently the only place in Iowa to get it that early.

14. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Yeah, I'd also like to know how Beer Crazy managed to get their shipment almost two weeks before anyone else.

Unrelated to Hopslam, someone I follow on Twitter retweeted a response from Deschutes that they are looking to come to Iowa! Sometime between summer and January they said. :)

15. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

Deschutes told me something very similar about 4 years ago in regards to coming to Nebraska. They still aren't in NE. Love to see them in Iowa (and/or NE).

16. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

That is the info I got from my sales rep too.

17. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Oh sure, go ahead and burst my bubble why don't you? ;)

18. Guzzi

Guzzi Aficionado (170) Iowa Nov 19, 2011

Madhouse Templeton Rye barrel aged Imperial Stout is at Cyclone liquors in Ames $7.99
    This was my favorite beer from BrrrFest last weekend.

19. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (285) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

IMO the distributers should have known better on the date they sent it out, and changed the date(of competed sales) to and earlier date. They knew when they were going to receive Hopslam so why didn't they make sure they could get it out as soon as possible. I also heard a rumor that the distributor was bullying retail stores during the sitting period to buy more bell's products telling them it would help their chances on receiving more hopslam. Everyone retail store I talked to complained about the distributer. Hopefully they get their stuff together for next year. It was disappointing that most of the other states got their hopslam 1 to 2 weeks fresh.

I do also think it was a stand-up move on their part to call you back.

20. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (155) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

This is true the more bells prosucts you sell the more hopslam you will recieve........Johnson Bros at its best......

21. redblacks75

I'm sure this is fairly true speaking in regards to the relationship between distributor, and retail. When KBS comes out expect the stores that sell the most Founders to be rewarded those cases.

22. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

Heard a big rumor last night.....no Bigfoot 2013 for Iowa. Any confirmations or refutations?

23. Hawkharvs

Good thing I stocked up on '12!!

24. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I don't believe that. It is supposed to run for like 4 months. (Although then again so was Narwhal, but I chalk that up to being something new for them. i.e. "mass"-produced 4-pack RIS.)

Lot's of Bigfoot 2013, to be had in Nebraska. Much more than the Narwhal we saw.

25. redblacks75

I can believe that, as 2012 is still sitting all over the place here, marked down to under $10.00. The only thing that would really blow, is that would probably screw us on the BA Bigfoot.

26. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (285) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

I was told that there would Bigfoot in 2013. BA Bigfoot i would be shocked if it made the shelves here.

I still have more than a case at home, and 2012 is still sitting on the shelves at my closest retail. Not to worried.

27. DollCraftTrav

DollCraftTrav Aficionado (120) Iowa Aug 14, 2012

Palate Wrecker just hit our warehouse this morning and will go out today. Packaged 1/29/13

28. brunodsm

brunodsm Aficionado (110) Iowa Nov 14, 2006

Palate Wrecker is in the house at el Bait Shop!
    Palate Wrecker is in the house at el Bait Shop! $5 a 10oz pours.

RelentlessLefty likes this.
  29. pepsican

pepsican Savant (325) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Sierra Nevada isn't exactly thrilled with the distributor for SN currently. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw very little bigfoot distribution this year, I'd almost guarantee zero BA big foot. Not sure how they will build that label back up around here when the 2012 was being blown for for $3.99 a six pack.

30. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (155) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

Bigfoot was in glazer reps computers today, no inventory yet though....made the comment though about blowing it out last year, so who honestly knows......

31. brunodsm

brunodsm Aficionado (110) Iowa Nov 14, 2006

No BA for Iowa, only 10 or 12 cs to MN

32. BrettHead

Oak-smoked old guardian :)

33. DollCraftTrav

DollCraftTrav Aficionado (120) Iowa Aug 14, 2012

Just a crazy coincidence

BrettHead likes this.
  34. BrettHead

HMMMMMMMMMMM :confused:

35. dckepley

dckepley Savant (365) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Found Palate Wrecker, Old Guardian, and variant in DSM and Ames. Still waiting to see Bigfoot.
    (Was reading on beerpulse that Old Guardian not to be out until the 25th. Is Iowa jumping the gun since they waited so long on Hopslam?)

36. pepsican

pepsican Savant (325) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Different distributor than hopslam. Our distributor in the IC area is holding it back even though it is already in the warehouse. Yours jumped the gun.

37. BottleCaps80

According to Founder's website, All Day IPA isn't supposed to be out until the beginning of March, but I got a sixer in the DSM metro last week that was bottled in January 2013.

38. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Shenanigans going on in DSM. Haha.

39. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

Happy Black Note Day everybody! !!

RelentlessLefty and redblacks75 like this.
  40. akuyper

akuyper Aficionado (165) Iowa Jan 29, 2009

Is there black note in Iowa?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.