1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Iowa Rumors?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mdwalsh, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

2. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

A case of it showed up here at John's. $20 gets a mixed six with black note, hopslam, smitten, 3rd coast, and a few others I can't remember. Sitting on the shelf as I type this.
  3. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

lol hyvee on gilbert had it with a limit of one bottle per person
  4. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Ouch. I don't see any place in Iowa letting someone walk out with a 4 pack unfortunately. Nice to have a bottle to try and compare against my draft rating though.
    RelentlessLefty likes this.
  5. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (360) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Oakland Road Hy-Vee was selling them up to 2 bottles as of an hour ago. Looks like they landed one case. They were behind the register.
  6. Roudy1

Ugghhh. I'm trying to decide whether to even go out on a search around Cedar Rapids. I might just wait until the parlor City Bell's tap takeover. I've had it before too.
  7. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Old Guardian and Oak-Smoked Old Guardian are definitely being sold in the DSM area. Just picked up a bottle of both. $6.99 each.
  8. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Meh, I'm still going to pass. Red's has more than 1 keg. I'll get my fill.
  9. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

GF Palate Wrecker, Stone Old Guardian and Oak Smoke OG in western Iowa as of yesterday...
    CowsandBeer and BrettHead like this.
  10. Roudy1

Any chance TG Naughty Temple hits Eastern Iowa?
  11. tgchief

tgchief Savant (270) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

No one pre ordered. Each account offered 2 cases. All sold except 20 cases to be sold in our brewery. Release is 2 - 3 weeks out.
    Cheers
    BrettHead and Rob-P like this.
  12. brunodsm

brunodsm Zealot (90) Iowa Nov 14, 2006

We have a 1/6 barrel down at el Bait, should be putting it on this coming week.
  13. akuyper

akuyper Aficionado (165) Iowa Jan 29, 2009

Another one? That's fantastic. I jut recieved a 4 pack via trade, but will definitely be down this week to grab some on draft. Any idea what day? BTW, that Tipo Pils is a fun beer.
  14. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

TGChiefs, what do you mean nobody pre-ordered? I know at least one account pre-ordered their two cases.
  15. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I believe he means as a regular consumer, aka average Joe.
  16. tgchief

Bond is correct....we did offer all of our accounts the chance to pre order up to two cases. The allotment for our accounts is all sold. I did not want to let the public pre order after I screwed up last years Assassin. I will announce on twitter when the first case is delivered to our taproom. I am sure I will have to pull some stunt to make it fun. This will be our last hand bottled beer. It will also be the last time you see our BA Naughty Temple for at least a few years. I think the label and beer are epic, but that doesn't matter. What you think does matter and good or bad thank you for letting us know!

Prost!
  17. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Okay good :)
    I am excited to see TG beers available on the shelves!
    je1129 and tgchief like this.
  18. Roudy1

Can't wait to (hopefully) score a bottle of Naughty Temple tomorrow!
  19. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

I got 2 bottles waiting for me, can't wait to crack one open!
  20. RelentlessLefty

I have a plan of attack to hopefully get some Naughty Temple tomorrow. Had some Golden Nugget for lunch today, stoked to try some of their BA beer!
  21. Roudy1

I might head to Cedar Falls tonight to try to grab some. If not I'm hoping to be able to catch some tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

I'm assuming this isn't going to stick around very long, if at all?
  22. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

I think I heard 700-800 bottles, spread out amongst how many places? I couldn't imagine it being on shelfs long, but maybe the price tag will scare some away.
  23. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Just curious what is the $?
  24. tgchief

Less than 700 bottles, $25 each in our taproom. Almost all sold :(. Most accounts sold out as well. Taproom has maybe 5 cases left unless I go grab them tonight for hoarding.
    BrettHead likes this.
  25. Extreme Beerfest this Saturday in Omaha.
    tgchief and BrettHead like this.
  26. BottleCaps80

The price tag was tough to swallow, but psyched I got a bottle!

Question for Clark - do you recommend aging this beer longer or drink whenever? Or get 2 bottles and drink one now and age one?

[​IMG]
  27. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

We'd recommend drinking soon, as we release beers when we feel they are ready and mature. If you want to hang onto one for a special occasion, we'd recommend cold storage, but you can certainly do that too.

We're working hard to get the bottle filler up and running ASAP. Hand labeling, filling, and waxing is a lot of labor. Thank goodness it's a labor of love!

-Mike
    Roudy1 and BrettHead like this.
  28. BottleCaps80

Thanks for the reply, Mark! That was actually what I wanted to hear, because I don't think I can wait long to finally try this beer. Will be cracking this weekend.

And thanks for you labor of love in creating awesome beers for us all to enjoy!
  29. Roudy1

Picked up a bottle in Cedar Falls tonight. Enjoyed chatting with one of the guys from TG while waiting in line. Can't wait to pop this baby this weekend! $25 is a little pricey but it's also kind of cool knowing the work that went into this beer(hand bottled, labeled, etc...) and what it takes to get it to the public.
    bismarksays likes this.
  30. bossfan23

bossfan23 Aficionado (120) Iowa Mar 26, 2012

Ended up picking up two bottles. I'm sure my pocketbook will regret it, but my palate probably will not. Cracking one of these open will be a good way to settle in Thursday night when the snowstorm begins.
    tgchief likes this.
  31. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Looking forward to this at extreme...See you guys on Saturday! Still want to trade anything for a Nebraska
    Brewing Microbe Rue? Stop in at Beertopia on Friday if you are in town, I will be working 10-4pm and wearing a black funkwerks hoody :). I keep telling everyone (especially the manger) about you guys...hope to see you in Nebraska for "real" in the near future!

edit: hawkeyes vs. huskers bottle share? :)
  32. tgchief

!

See you at Beertopia......sounds like a trade in the working
    TheSaboteur likes this.
  33. tgchief

Sorry about the price, believe it or not we will be lucky to break even on that beer. Especially since 3 of the 6 barrels were not picked for the final blend.

As Mike mentioned above, we try to age our beer to perfection. In the case of the Naughty Temple some of it has been in the barrels a year and a half. Enjoy now, life is good! Cellar at 38 F in a dark place, life is good and you can let us know how long you hold it and how it cellars.

Also, we will not be able to have another release of this treasure for 2 - 3 years, minimum.......now on to getting 2013 Assassin in the bottles!

Cheers ever one for giving us a shot and supporting our addiction to filling barrels with unique ales and stouts!
  34. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Got two bottles of this today. One for me, one for some guys from London.
  35. RelentlessLefty

Picked up a bottle at johns yesterday. cant wait to try it with a friend who loves TG beers. I hope you (tgchief) were able to make it back alright yesterday!
    tgchief likes this.
  36. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Shut out.
  37. rundocrun

rundocrun Savant (280) Iowa Oct 1, 2010

RelentlessLefty: same here! I'm planning on splitting it with my buddy during an epic Imperial Stout brewing session.
  38. Roudy1

je1129 and BottleCaps80 like this.
  39. tgchief

I'm safe and sound back in the Templed! Thanks for your concern and well wishes!

Cheers

Clark
  40. Congrats to TG for an awesome showing at Extreme Beerfest. You guys made quite the impression (I never doubted that you would).
    dbossman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.