1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IP Trade @ Sour & Bitter / CBC? ISO: Blabaer

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by beerdweeb, Apr 7, 2012.

1. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (300) California Nov 28, 2010

Still looking for Blabaer, shocker. Can offer a combination from this list:

Chocolate Rain
    Black Tuesday
    Wanderer
    Melange #3
    Filmishmish
    Oui Oui
    Mother Funker
    Any recent Bruery Reserve Society beers
    Eclipse (EC 12, EC 18/20, Four Roses, Rye)
    Beatification
    Sanctification
    Consecration
    Pliny the Elder
    Speedway Stout
    Parabola
    Abacus / Sucaba
    Red Poppy
    Framboise de Amorosa
    Sinners Blend 2010
    Serpent's Stout
    etc

I'll be in Copenhagen May 8-12th. Probably be at Mikkeller Bar the night before Sour & Bitter

Let me know!

Shane

2. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Savant (440) Netherlands Jun 4, 2009

Hi Shane,
    blabaer can be consumed in the Mikkeller bar, so no need to trade your whales for it. We will also go to the mikkeller bar the evening before sour bitter most likely, so shoot me a beermail later.
    cheers

3. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That's good to know, I posted a similar IP trade and haven't heard anything, I'll have to stop by Mikkeller too. What's the cost look like?

4. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Savant (440) Netherlands Jun 4, 2009

I think it was around 30-35 euro for a 37.5 cl bottle, but not 100% sure about that anymore. The Mikkeller bar is not cheap, take that into account.
    cheers and maybe see you there in May!

5. beerdweeb

Thanks man! I was aware that it was on the bottle list and definitely plan on drinking one there. I've been craving it ever since Jeppe brought a bottle into work for us.

Still ISO a bottle to take home. Also, would be down to talk pre-trade for the June release.

What's Mikkeller bar's policy on bringing in bottles? If I don't end up setting up trades, we might be consider bringing stuff in to share.

6. beerdweeb

Should be good on this, thanks everyone who BM'd me!

7. beerdweeb

Has anyone figured out the best way to bring beer back? I plan on filling my suitcase to the weight limit and debating whether or not to check a 12 bottle shipper or ship one. I think it will be cheaper to check it as an extra bag. Does Jeppe sell these at the shop?

8. Think it's better to check in (definitely cheaper). I haven't seen any bottle shippers in Denmark though, and I've looked for it. But I've also brought many suitcases before with beer and have never had problems packing the bottles in clothes and stuff. Works pretty well actually :)

9. I had a disaster with an European airline upon putting my beer in separated compartments of a cardboard box. While I was getting on my flight, they informed me that my bag was leaking and they plastic tape wrapped it with a white foamlike sheet and plastic wrap... Apparently they must have dropped a heavy suitcase with a large amount of pressure because my cardboard box was CRUSHED, even though I had towels/sweaters that had padded the cardboard box as well.. Lost so much good beer.. Put at our own risk. I never had a problem with broken beer before this incident.

10. beerdweeb

Thanks Viktor. I wonder if I should mail an empty wine shipper to my hostel, if they'd accept it. Is there any wine shops that might have them there?

11. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I was planning on bringing a 12-bottle shipper inside my large suitcase, using that to trek around Europe, then checking them separately. After the horror story below I'm a bit more hesitant about that, but it would take a shitton of force to destroy a box... I had been telling myself that there's no way airlines can be worse than UPS/FedEx, and these shippers work great there WITHOUT bubble wrap or anything.

Also, I'd be interested in an IP trade @ CBC for Blabaer, now that OP is taken care of...

12. There are a bunch of wine shops in CPH. You can ask around, they might have some. I'd offer to bring the shipper myself to S&B/CBC, but I just have too much else to bring, sorry.

I think airlines are WAY better that Fedex/UPS... but really, who knows. Just recently I flew with a bunch of beer and my luggage got lost in transit somewhere. After a few days my stuff was finally delivered to me, but my suitcase looked like shit. I don't know what swamp they dragged it through, but it was pretty beat up. All beer was fine however. They weren't even packed that well, I'd only wrapped them in t-shirts or towels.

Long story short, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

13. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Here's what I've done with 100% success on several occasions (including an international trip to Denmark):

I carefully measured the interior of a rolling bag, then cut foam inserts (approximately three inches thick) to further insulate the bottom and sides of my bag. This creates a shallow depression in which I've been able to fit a mix of a approximately a dozen double stacked bombers and 12oz bottles (wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap or a tshirt). Then, I place another three inch foam topper on top, and zip up the suitcase. Also, be sure to check out Olbutikken and Toft Vin!

14. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Easiest way to transport beer is to check a plastic beer crate as extra baggage. They look like this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plastic beer crate photo&view=detail&id=2DB05E6BCE87590561804983ADCEB0B49B8D3285&first=0

La Chouffe crates work best. They're enclosed and basically indestructable. Just wrap the bottles in bubble wrap or cardboard so they're snug in the slots, then put a bunch of cardboard on top, tape it up and check it. There are lots of these crates at liquor stores and even some supermarkets on the continent, but I'm not sure about Scandinavia. Perhaps someone in Denmark can say something about this.

When you check it, the worker will probably look at you funny and you'll have to take it to oversized baggage.

Jeff

15. It's the same in Denmark regarding the crates.

16. beerdweeb

Hmm cool thanks, that could be an option!