1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPA aged on Baseball bats??? yup.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I heard there are a few breweries that louisville slugger sent bats to to make beer with. i had one tonight from cigar city. has anyone else had any and what do you tihnk?

[​IMG][​IMG]

this one was fair, nothing amazing, a lot of pine, resin, sap... a little citrus both in the nose and taste.
    raymo55 likes this.
  2. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Most of these I thought were released early summer. Saint Arnold made a Homefront IPA also and while I can still find it, its not at all fresh anymore. Anyways the beer was decent, not great but not at all bad.
  3. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

This beer was released many months ago and should really have been consumed fresh
    ediaz likes this.
  4. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

So what you are saying is....it isn't a home run?
  5. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I'd call it a double off the wall where you get thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple.
    schlegelmeister likes this.
  6. pine resin, that makes sense
  7. Lare453

I got it about two months ago and have not had time to drink It.
  8. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Well, maple isn't a pine, so it's probably just the hops.
    JoEBoBpr likes this.
  9. YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH
  10. I had this the day it was released at CCB. I wasnt blow away, but it was different, and had a unique taste from the maple wood. I thought the concept was really cool though, and it was certainly for a good cause. If I remember right, 110k plus OT batch 5 came out the same day, now that was an AMAZING beer when fresh.
  11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Heard rumors of a brewery making a similar beer from all the bats that got hits for the New York Yankees during the ALCS....but the batch was WAY too small....it was drain poured.
  12. You need to get yourself a beer bong, makes things go much quicker.
  13. Lare453

Rofl! You rock!
  14. I was jokingly referring to the pine tar that they smear on the bats. I'm sure they clean them though.
    ChanChan likes this.
  15. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Its probably better than the beer aged on jockstraps!!
    franklinn likes this.
  16. Lare453

I got it!
  17. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

I had the CCB version and the Perennial Artisan Ale (St. Louis, MO) both were similar and ok. Nothing crazy but fresh they were ok.
  18. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Had it a few months ago, it was unimpressive imho.

[​IMG]
    Cigar City Brewing's Homefront IPA - India Pale Ale IPA
  19. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Well.....didn't DFH do a beer that had used spit-balls as part of the recipe (to get the enzymes from the saliva)?
  20. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Oh man that was too good! This is coming from a yanks fan. Yea it was decent but nothing too impressive.
  21. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Smells like runs...
    mintjellie and ChanChan like this.
  22. Shaudius

Shaudius Initiate (15) Aug 12, 2012

Kinda, the enzymes from saliva are used to convert the starch in corn to fermentable sugar(so corn spit balls) in a traditional Native South American beer called Chicha. DFH has brewed it at least twice(maybe more?)

There's a NYT article about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/dining/09beer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As well as an article on DFH's website about the second time they brewed it: http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/bryan/chewing-spitting-brewing.htm
  23. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Oh. I was not aware of that practice.
  24. I've had the Cigar City one. I liked it.
  25. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

so...its been sittin on the bench then?
    FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  26. I would like to try this along with one that wasn't aged on baseball bats to see the difference.
  27. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Perennial did one here in StL as part of the Homefront benefit beers. It wasn't bad but nothing special either
  28. You are probably younger than me. Google "George Brett Pine Tar HR" and enjoy.
    bluejacket74, raymo55 and cubbyswans like this.
  29. I am not too sure there is a base beer sans bats. The woodiness is pretty mild in my opinion.
  30. Yeah, I doubt they made a base beer for this without it. I would just still like to see whether the wood really made a significant difference. Regardless, I don't live in FL, so it's unlikely I'd be able to try it anyways.
  31. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

32. Wish they would have sold the bats like one guy had at perennials belgian beer fest!
  33. So in this scenario, you're Joe Girardi and the beer is A-Rod?
    vande likes this.
  34. More bats are made from ash than maple.
    phorestfreak and xsouldriverx like this.
  35. agreed
  36. there only has been a recent movement to maple, thats why those big split bats are becoming more common and dangerous.
  37. though it does specify maple bats.
  38. As most St Arnolds are ... def MEH IMHO
  39. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Funny - if Mikkel had aged a beer on baseball bats he'd probably be receiving death threats.
  40. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

I had the CCB Homefront IPA on the 4th of July, and it was pretty tasty to me. I enjoyed.
  41. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

If the bat has Derek Jeters signature, does that make the trade value go way up?
    MattyG85 likes this.