1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPA/DIPA with the longest lingering hop taste?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChrisMon02, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (460) Ohio May 2, 2010

I am an admitted hop head and have tried just about everything I can get my hands on regionally. I really appreciate a beer that leaves a long lasting hop taste ( and yes, I even like the taste of the burps). Fathead's Headhunter by far is the most lingering IPA I have ever had. I can taste the hops for hours after quaffing a few.

Any suggestions on other beers that accomplish this? I live in Ohio and would like to seek out similar profiled IPA/DIPA's

Thanks and cheers!

2. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I'd say GF's Palate Wrecker and SN's Hoptimum are up there as far as lingering finish.

3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Abrasive is killer it starts on the nose with the biggest grapefruit of any brew I've tried, and on to the finish. Really an outstanding brew.

4. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

So far, for me, it's been Palate Wrecker. I woke up tasting it the next morning. :)

5. Groomsy

Groomsy Savant (350) Kentucky Sep 23, 2010

I'll second Hoptimum. I was still tasting grapefruit and pine resin in my mouth the following morning... AFTER drinking a couple glasses of water.

6. Heady Topper will leave a long lingering hop presence in your mouth.

7. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Thunderhead and Bridgeports Hop Czar have me burping up hops for days.

8. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Mercenary

9. Palette Wrecker and 10th Anniversary Ruination. both were just Hop Bombs.

Shagator, deadonhisfeet and jrnyc like this.
  10. Ruination

Tballz420 and deadonhisfeet like this.
  11. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (360) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe out of Easton,PA has a nice lingering hop flavor. Also, Victory Yakima Glory Ale, although it is an American Black Ale, has a pretty ridiculous hop linger. Enjoy!

luwak likes this.
  12. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

Lagunitas Sucks made my house smell like hops for two whole days. mmmm hoppy...

Falcone likes this.
  13. CoachC

CoachC Aficionado (165) Florida Nov 25, 2012

Palate Wrecker and Maharaja

gibby likes this.
  14. JWD

JWD Aficionado (235) California Dec 7, 2005

I have had all the best DIPAs and regaurdless of how hoppy they are when you drink them stone ruination by far is the only one that you can still taste in the morning !!! Not sure why but even over palate wrecker, younger, HT
    You name it ..

15. did you pour out the six pack onto the carpet? :)

16. I have had Pliny the Elder, Dreadnaught, Hopslam, Heady Topper, Ruination, Palate Wrecker, Head Hunter, West Sixth, and many others. They are awesome beers with flavors to die for. However, when it comes to lingering hop flavor, I think Fat Head's Head Hunter tops them all. I'm not talking about taste here as I do think a few of the aforementioned beers taste better than Head Hunter. I'm just talking about that ``I-can-feel-the-hop-oils-dripping-from-the-inside-of-my-mouth'' lingering flavor. Head Hunter is the champ in my opinion.

luwak and ChrisMon02 like this.
  17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I drank a Heady Topper last night, and the taste left in my mouth after I finished the beer was almost better than the beer itself.

18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I like pour a half a bottle in my garbage disposal. Mmm hops!

seakayak likes this.
  19. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (195) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

I recently had Lagunitas Sucks on tap (from what I think must have been a very fresh keg) and, the hops in it were incredable.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  20. Hermitage Ale of the IMP

21. I like Lagunitas Sucks a lot and I think the Hop smell and flavor are great but IMO it's not really that bitter

22. Lingerer's man, lingerer's!

23. Alright, my bad. It does stick around

24. The night I had my first and so far only Heady Topper, I seriously considered not brushing my teeth. I did not want that taste to leave my mouth.

ISO Heady Toothpaste?

ironchefmiyagi13 and logan0203 like this.
  25. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (195) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

for lingering hops on the palate, to me it has been Boneyard Hop Venom, Stone 10th Anniv. Ruination, and Mikkeller 1000ibu

26. arrrogant bastard, ruination

27. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

Among all of the quality IPAs already mentioned, plus a few more my favorites, the answer is the freshest one.

mendonjoebeer likes this.
  28. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary

29. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

..I too live in Ohio (NE), the most easily accessible of my Favs are:
    pretty much Anything from Sierra Nevada..Hoptimum, Ruthless, Torpedo, Bigfoot, Celebration
    -Columbus IPA
    -Victory: Hop Wallop, Hop Devil, Headwaters
    -Buckeye: Hippie IPA
    -Flower Power
    -the Brew Kettle: "Old 21", "White Rajah"
    -Great Lakes: Lake Eerie Monster, Nosferatu
    -Ballast: Sculpin
    -Mad River: Steelhead Double
    -Stone: ..pretty much any of them..esp. "Ruination"
    -Anderson Valley: Hop 'Ottin
    -Troegs: Flying Mouflan

---- to name a handful, Maybe you've had them all (don't know) but they are All pretty damn tasty & Hopped up just Perfect in (my) book. -Hope that helps a bit..lemme know, I'm just tryin to help out. You got any You are fond of..Whereabouts in OH are you?

-Cheers!

30. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Ruination Tenth Ann'y takes the cake for me. Founder's Devil Dancer (fresh), Sixpoint Resin, and SN Hoptimum honorable mention. For me, bitterness and resinous-ness are the two factors that most contribute to linger. Hoppier imperial stouts stick around hard, too- roasty linger is equally glorious in my book :)

31. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Yea , i second this one , those hops just do not want to go away.

32. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (715) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

agree with ruination, still have to try palate wrecker. SN Torpedo is always great and I love the lingering finish on Harpoon Leviathan as well

33. GA_SIPPER

GA_SIPPER Aficionado (140) Georgia Feb 24, 2013

Palate Wrecker, although I haven't had Ruination in a while.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  34. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

What did you do...spray it around like you win a Championship?! ;)

35. Hop Stoopid
    Ruination
    Torpedo
    Two Hearted Ale

36. FatHeads Headhunters IPA
    Victory Hop Devil
    Victory Headwaters
    Full Pint Chinookie IPA
    SN Torpedo

37. ChrisMon02

I
    I am in Olmsted Falls. Went to Fatheads an hour ago to get my Headhunter fix and the bartender who knows me suggested IBUsive. It's an experimental hop that crosses Nugget and Simcoe...AMAZING! Bitter, dank and lingering. The guy next to me asked if I was married and when I asked him why he said "no kisses for you tonight, I can smell the hops pouring out of you". Awesome stuff. Fatheads knows their hops!

baconman91 likes this.
  38. Hoptimum
    Majaraja
    Ruination
    Dreadnaught

39. Just finished palate wrecker and damn it has a long bitter finish. Also knee deeps hop shortage and Simtra's hops build on the palate and stays for hours. If you can't get them BM me...cheers!

40. ChrisMon02

You have a great list and I have had most of them. All great hop pie beers. Just had Knee Deep Simtra and Coronado Idiot IPA. Both new to the area and really good.

baconman91 likes this.