1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPA/DIPA with the longest lingering hop taste?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChrisMon02, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Arctic Panzer Wolf is still the most bitter and palate crushing beer I've ever tasted. Can ruin an entire night if you're planning to taste a variety of styles or anything that could be considered delicate or balanced.

2. mmmmm, hop pie.

victory4me, ChrisMon02 and jesskidden like this.
  3. da_beers

da_beers Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 6, 2013

I would say Heady Topper, massive hop blast I could taste in the middle of the night when I woke to feed the baby!

ChrisMon02 likes this.
  4. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

Love 3 Floyd's Panzer, Dreadnaught but not the lack of availability...

5. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

Wish I could experience it. Had a few trades lined up but both fell through.

6. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

that stuff RUINED my taste buds for ,like,. 2 days. no bull. i'll NEVER drink it again. just me

Cubatobaco likes this.
  7. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Hahaha! I love the stuff!

West Coast is a little more toned down version, IMO.

8. Just scored a trade for artic and dreadnaught...I
    Can't wait!!! I've heard the artic is insanely bitter.

9. If it's fresh, it will blow your mind and palate.

10. Two Brothers Hop Juice and Founders Devil Dancer, both from 2011. Even after the intense alcohol slap in the ball$ from DD I could still taste the hops throughout the remainder of the night and the next morning.

11. What do you, like, shine shoes?

12. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Stone Ruination, The Brew Kettle Old 21, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf and Great Lakes Alchemy Hour (just released, new DIPA!).

13. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

I'm really just contributing to this thread because I'm enjoying reading it because it gives me that "hop memory" taste. You know that feeling in the middle of the day when you are suddenly reminded of a great IPA and the taste/smell just comes into your nose/mouth? Is it just me or does this happen to anyone else?

To rep Michigan I'd say Shorts Liberator lingers pretty decently...

ChrisMon02 likes this.
  14. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

If you advocates ever get to Wisconsin,try to get a glass or bottle of Black Husky Sproose Joose. Black Husky is probaly the hottest new brewery in WI,they make an Imperial IPA that contains the tips of Spruce trees, that gives it a long bitter finish,its delicious the stores cant keep it in stock,but its insanely intense. Very experienced hop lovers couldnt handle it

15. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

16. I would also agree this is NOT a bitter ipa. Much heavier on that fragrant beta centric hop IMO.

17. Are you looking for resiny bitterness or just straight up bitterness? I love IPA's too and the two most bitter beers I've ever had is Moylan's Hopsickle and Bells' The Oracle. Lots of great suggestions here, BTW. You probably have/had a better shot at getting The Oracle than us out here in Eastern PA.

18. On the first page I strongly disagree with Sucks as being very bitter! It's so sweet!! I'd go with Palate Wrecker (not now, but the first 4 pack I got when it was 15 days old), Imperial Mad Hatter, Ruination, and month old Hopslam as my literal palate wreckers.

JuliusCaesar likes this.
  19. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Another lingering hop IPA I love is Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. I also would agree that Lagunitas Sucks (while an awesome beer) doesn't have that same hop bitterness of some IPAs

20. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Lawsons hopzilla!

21. You're from Ohio??? How bout Hop Dam Triple IPA from Hoppin Frog

22. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'd add Double Jack to these lists.

23. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Had my first Double Jack last night, and don't get me wrong it was good, but I was slightly disappointed. It was bottled on January 8th, would aging help it?

24. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Maharaja, Hopsickle, Simtra, and Palate Wrecker all have crazy lingering hops.

25. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

For me it has been Ruination and Schlafly TIPA. West Sixth is a close second

26. Shagator

Really? That or a Dreadnaught is usually a starting point for me. Ruination or PW will kill my taste buds, but i think APW is mild compared to others. I think a single IPA is more likely to have a lingering taste or more of a destructive effect on the palate than many of the doubles or imperials that i have had

27. The very first IPA/DIPA you ever drink is the one with the longest lingering bitterness. With that said, I still find Hop Wallop pretty bitter.

28. I drank a sixer of Schafly TIPA on New Years Eve, and actually found it to not be very bitter at all. I remember thinking that it was one of the better balanced IPA's out there. Good stuff.

29. Back in the day before the IIPA style took off, the first time I had Ruination, for the first couple sips I thought "shit this might almost be too hoppy." I'm fairly certain that beer invented the style, and its still a treat to drink

30. duobob

duobob Savant (260) Illinois Oct 10, 2012

Palate Wrecker for shure

31. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Mikkeller 1000 IBUs Ultramate. I love a nicely abrasive hop assault, but that was entirely unpleasant.

32. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

I would say also this.

33. I'll second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) the Palate Wrecker. I had one yesterday at about 6pm and I can STILL taste it, and I've brushed my teeth twice since then. I LOVE that stuff !

Moylan's Hopsickle lingers a good bit, too.

34. Shagator

The Schafly TIPA is one of my favorite, and under appreciated IMO, beers. I dont think it is overly bitter. I think it has a taste that lingers, but its not a bad thing.

35. Reedrick02

Reedrick02 Initiate (15) Feb 27, 2013

Flying Dog Galaxy single hop series. 10th anniversary stone, heady and palate wrecker would be on there too.

36. Just had this at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. Loved that beer. Dank as hell

37. Moylans hopsickle and founders devil dancer....holy hops

38. Reedrick02

Reedrick02 Initiate (15) Feb 27, 2013

Totally forgot....should have said on first post.

Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA crushes out everything I've seen mentioned.
    If you've had it you know what I'm talking about.

39. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

I was also going to say Heady Topper, Maharaja and Palate Wrecker.

40. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Ruination and palate wrecker