1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPA Recipe: Hop Schedule

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeorgeBrett, Jun 20, 2013.

1. GeorgeBrett

GeorgeBrett Aspirant (45) Viet Nam Sep 27, 2010

I'm brewing an IPA on Friday and wanted some feedback on my hop schedule. Specifically, my late additions. I'm using primarily Mosaic and Centennial post boil with a small addition of Nelson and or CTZ. I don't want this to be a fruit bomb, looking for some Dankness for depth in the flavor/aroma profile.
    Comments or suggestions?

Est OG: 1.061
    Est FG: 1.012
    abv: 6.5%
    Yeast: English Dry Ale 007
    10 gal
    60 min boil

20# 2-Row U.S. 86%
    1.75# Munich 10L 7.5%
    .75# Crystal 30L 3.2%
    .75# CaraPils 3.2%

1.5 oz CTZ 60 min 36 ibu
    1.5 oz Centennial 30 min 20 ibu

2 oz Centennial 0 min (hop stand)
    1 oz Mosaic 0 min (hop stand)

2 oz Mosaic (20 min post boil)
    1 oz Centennial (20 min post boil)
    .5 oz Nelson S. (20 min post boil)

Dry hop: 1 oz Mosaic, .5 oz Cent, .25 Nelson.... per 5gal

Would a CTZ addition be a better fit in place of the Nelson? or both?

2. The Mosaic will give you an intensely fruity flavor and aroma, I would think using CTZ or something like Chinook in place of the Nelson could balance that out nicely.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (535) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Mosaic, Centennial, and Nelson are all fruity. You will get a fruit bomb from Mosaic. I'm with OddNotion, you'll need some CTZ or Chinook in there to add some balancing to all the fruit.

4. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (360) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

New comet here...when u say 20 min post boil does that mean u add hops 20 min after the flame out?

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Going for an IPA with 56 IBU's?

6. GeorgeBrett

ROB....Yes, 20 min after flame out.
    56 IBU's in the boil. should pick up quite a few with the post boil, directly after flameout 210*-190*F (hop stand), obviously utilization will be significantly lower with a softer ibu. I'm suspecting they should reach the low 70's.
    FATC1TY, u think i should add a few more ibu's during the boil? consider this is a lower gravity ipa.

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

You may not get as much out of the post boil additions as you think (if you're thinking that their contribution, adjusted for time and lack of boil, will be linear). Somewhere around 65 IBUs the models start to break down (utilization goes non-linear), and each additional IBU takes more hops to achieve than the previous one. This partially accounts for the universal speed limit of about 110 IBUs. So it's not just the relatively shorter contact time of these post boil hops limiting their impact, but also (in your case) the fact that you are approaching the knee in the utilization curve.

8. GeorgeBrett

Interesting, information Vikeman. How would you change the hop schedule? Where would you pick up more IBU's in the case of this recipe? I was thinking 60 some IBU's would be about right with a 6.5% IPA.

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I don't know that I would change it, but if more IBUs were my goal, I'd add more hops, earlier on. But you may well hit 60 (or more) with what you have. The only point I really wanted to make was 'don't expect linear utilization behavior when you get into the mid 60s IBU range' since you mentioned expecting something in the low 70s.