1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPA recipes formulation

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BigEasyBrewer, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I'm looking to start formulating an IPA recipe and I'm trying to get a grasp on the base malts to use. I know the primary flavor profile will be from the hops, but I'm looking for a starting point. Also, which yeast would work best for this style of brew? Just looking for a starting point for malts... Thx
  2. Funny, you should mention that...http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...erican-ipa-project-poll-3-basic-grains.60623/
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

My starting point for American IPA is 90% American 2-row, 10% Munich and mash at 150. I don't like a lot of crystal in my IPA's.For DIPA's I sub in 5% table sugar for some of the 2-row.
  4. It's about the hops rather than the malt. I know brewers who even use Pilsner malt for such beers.
  5. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

...what hopsandmalt said.

If do not have this book in your brewing library, http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Class...939311&sr=8-1&keywords=Brewing classic styles
    you need to. It is a great recipe foundation.
  6. American IPA or English IPA?
    Personally I prefer the English style IPAs. And for those I (5 gal batch) usually use about 10# Maris Otter with about 1 -2# of Crystal malt (40 - 80 depending on how dark I want the beer).
    You can change the Maris Otter out for Golden Promise. Which IMO is a better malt, but it is often more expensive.
    If you are doing a American IPA, just use and American 2-row with the Crystal malt.
    As far as yeast:
    American: American Ale 1056 or US-05
    English: Any Wyeast London Ale strain or Nottingham or Windsor (if you prefer dry).
    The above assumes you meant all-grain malt. And, this is just my opinion of a generic and basic malt bill for an IPA.
  7. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (190) New York Aug 3, 2012

I have brow this American IPA with grate results

11 Lb American 2-row
    8 Oz Weyermann CaraHell
    8 Oz CaraVienne
    8 Oz Biscuit Malt

60 min 1 Oz Columbus
    30 min 1 Oz Cascade
    1 min 1 Oz Cascade
    Yeast: US-05 (Second generation from California common)
  8. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I like ten pounds base malt and a little crystal (1 lb or less). That's the base forumula for me. Add hops generously at 15 minutes or less, especially at 5,1,0. Add a bittering charge at 60. Modify as you see fit.
  9. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not to nitpick too much, but if you used US-05 (and not a a fairly specific lager yeast), what made this beer a California Common?
  10. Thanks for all the input. looking forward to brewing up a batch this coming week. As far as hops goes, should I concentrate on hops only in the brew process or throw some into the fermenter (after krausen has slowed). I'm looking for something quite hoppy.
  11. AlCaponeJunior

Dry hop it too! :D
    hopsandmalt likes this.
  12. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

Yeah dude, add hops at every available opportunity!
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  13. AlCaponeJunior

And then some!

+1!

:D
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Do this.. it's simple as all hell, and basic, and super tasty.

11# 2 row
    12oz Munich
    12oz Vienna
    12oz Crystal 40

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.

Do a First Wort Hop( FWH ) of something to around 20 IBU's

Make your next addition at 15, 10, 5, 1 and flameout/whirlpool addition. Any of the C's, or Simcoe or something like that will work.. Shoot for what you like. Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook, Citra, and Cascade all roll together like brother and sister in Alabama.

Use a neutral yeast, like 1056, US05 or BRY 97. Ferment it low, like 65 or so.

Dry hop it after primary has finished, which will be roughly 1.010 or so.. Use 2 oz or so of something you like, or used in the boil..

Bottle or keg, and enjoy.
    RobertV916 and AlCaponeJunior like this.
  15. Ilanko

My homebrew store call's it "California Common" offering under recommended yeast :Lager #1212 or #1056 American Ale or US-05.
    I have been very inquisitive on how California Common is classified. I have brew 2 batches before realized that "CC" is originally a lager. but its work grate for me, almost the same as American Pale Ale.

You can say that "Brooklyn Lager" is not a lager just because its highly hopped ?
  16. FATC1TY

1056 is nothing close to the California Common yeast, so I think thats why he asked. CC is a lager yeast that is fermented warmer.
  17. Ilanko

When i start Homebrewing I couldn't really aware that "CC" is a Lager, I just followed the kit recipe. Now after running over every "CC" recipe, only the one gallon recommend 105, the five gallon mention 1212 or US-05.
  18. FATC1TY

Interesting. I wasn't calling you out, I was, like Vikeman, curious really. It's odd to see how different stores market their wares.
  19. Ilanko

It is Just be born in a country where Lager is the only beer you can get. Latter on in life discover Ale country.
  20. That's the story of any American over 30 too :p
    FATC1TY and Ilanko like this.
  21. Ilanko

Or 40
    FATC1TY likes this.
  22. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

The humor would be the younger the better.

But on a lighter note I really would like to try some of your beer. My interest is peaked.
  23. ChadChaney

ChadChaney Aficionado (125) Iowa Aug 12, 2011

Simple grain bill I use for SMaSH (single malt, single hop) beers, even though there are 2 mats, lol.
    12 lbs Briess 2 row
    2 Lbs flaked wheat( a bit of color, body and head retention)

60 min charge to about 35-45 IBU's then fill the hops at 10, 5, 1 and dry hop. Great way to experience all the nuances of a single hop before you start to blend hops and malts.
  24. FATC1TY

Touche'...