1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs brewed with fruit?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zstef99, Feb 16, 2013.

1. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

Just wondering if there are any IPAs out there brewed with citrus or other tropical fruit added. Seems like it could bring out the fruit flavors already present in the hops, similar to how adding chocolate or coffee to stouts can enhance the flavors that are already there. So are there any grapefruit, mango, etc IPAs out there?
  2. Dieu Du Ciel just brewed a kumquat IPA, though it's brewpub only at the moment. I'll probably go taste it as soon as I'm not sick anymore!
  3. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

This. On tap every spring at a bar next door to my condo. My go-to spring IPA.
    khall62 and pweis909 like this.
  4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Short's and Half Acres Freedom of 78. IPA with Guava, Pure Guava to be exact. God damn tasty beer.
    bishocr and Jose2412 like this.
  5. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Cigar City has a Peach IPA that is to die for... They've also done Grapefruit and Mango I believe, and I'm sure they've done others that I'm drawing a blank on.
    ediaz, powpig2002 and basscram like this.
  6. Dunham Leo's Early Breakfast IPA is brewed with guava and earl grey tea.
  7. I just brewed an all Brett Wheat IPA with apricots and tons of late addition hops Citra, Amarillo, Nelson, galaxy, and Simcoe. Tastes like heaven should taste
    ricochet173 likes this.
  8. WOW...holy crap that sounds good!
  9. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (270) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

Looks like Mid-April for this. Good stuff!
  10. Howe Sound Brewing here in BC just released their Super Jupiter IPA brewed with grapefruit. Very citrusy, but not enough of a hop profile for my liking.
  11. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Looking forward to Aprihop in a month or so.
    powpig2002 likes this.
  12. zstef99

What is the purpose of replies like this? It's rude and pointless.

Thanks to everyone else for the responses. Aprihop is the only one so far that's available in my area. Never had it but I'll try it this year.
    j47paco and jhartley like this.
  13. Aprihop combines 3 of my favourite (Cdn spelling) things:

1. DFH
    2. IPA's
    3. Apricots

Try it if you haven't had the chance yet.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  14. Meh?
  15. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Not sure if they're still making it, but Widmer's Shaddock IPA had grapefruit peel in it and it was pretty damn good when fresh as part of the rotator series.
  16. Luckily, I have access to that here on the West Coast...highly reccomended. Nice call!
  17. Thanks, so good so far. I'm currently dry hopping with Citra and Amarillo. I think it's my best brew yet. If your a home brewer I'd gladly send you the recipe.
  18. I just started getting into homebrewing, but I don't think I have access to those kinds of ingredients in Montreal unfortunately! Still, yes, I'd love to see the recipe please!
  19. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Its an interesting idea we've been throwing around the brew club for awhile. Were looking at brewing a pineapple IPA sometime this year.
    ricochet173 likes this.
  20. That sounds like an amazing idea too... love pineapple. Got to start writing this stuff down for future projects lol
  21. Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is an IPA brewed with pineapple.
  22. Neither with citrus nor with tropical fruits but

BrewDog Hello, My Name is Beastie – with blackberries
    BrewDog Hello, My Name is Ingrid – with cloudberries
    Dennoman and teorn88 like this.
  23. I'm totally shocked & disappointed that someone would post a rude and pointless reply on an internet forum, especially on Beer Advocate where we're all brothers of the hops. What's wrong with these world wide web things anyway?
    cavedave likes this.
  24. corey0212

corey0212 Savant (330) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

I once had a homebrewed honeydew melon IPA that was astonishingly good.
  25. zstef99

I didn't say I was shocked but its still rude and contributes nothing, kind of like your post.
  26. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (335) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

Lost Rhino makes their IIPA Hop Star with mangoes. I think it's brewery only though.
  27. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I'd like that recipe if you wouldn't mind. It sounds fantastic.
  28. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

A friend brewed a DIPA with rose petals a couple of years ago. It was quite good!
  29. Not fruit, but I feel like I'm tasting more and more Ginger IPAs at beer fests. I think ginger and citrus go great together -- it's the best tea, after all. My current homebrew goal is to perfect a ginger IPA -- got great results with ginger and citra dry-hopping.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Shorts The Liberator is a tongue scraping IIPA of excellent quality brewed with grapefruit peel IIRC. So fucking good, but not for beginners.
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Holy Hell this sounds incredible.
  32. DFH Hellhound On My Ale, all the lemon you could possibly want in an IPA
  33. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

This, they also did an agave one. Preferred the orange.
  34. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Tyranena Scurvy is an IPA brewed with orange peel.
  35. Both are available only in their home states, but Shorts Liberator is made with orange peel and Triton (Indy) dry-peeled a batch of their Railsplitter IPA for Winterfest this year and it was amazing!
  36. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Was gonna mention this. Amazing stuff.