1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs/DIPAs with decent shelf life

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LCB_Hostage, Jul 16, 2013.

1. SN Torpedo holds up really well from my experience, as do most SN beers. Flower Power is a noticeably different beer after a month or so.

2. OK, based on what people are saying here, maybe I'm offbase about Torpedo. When I buy Torpedo, I normally finish it up pretty quickly, so it's a moot point. My observation was based on a sixer I picked up at Target (long story) while traveling recently that seemed off, but the date stamps indicated it should have still been okay. Perhaps the folks at Target don't follow beer-handling best practices (hard though that may be to believe:p)

3. Any IPAs I purchase go straight into the fridge and usually don't last all that long before being liberated.
    However, I have a bottle of Flower Power purchased on 4/8/13 with a June 2013 best by date and kept in the back of my beer fridge that I'm saving to compare with another I will purchase in the fall to see if the hops fall off and if so, how much. I'm going to have an impartial observer [my wife, she doesn't drink] conduct the test so I will have no idea which beer is which and may also call in a friend to do the test with me. I do believe 6 oz. of each bottle will be enough to tell if the hops have faded. I've posted this before in another thread so if you've seen it, I haven't done the side-by-side as yet, but will report the results when I do.

4. Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, Dark Horse
    Sucks, Lagunitas
    Maximus, Lagunitas
    Heady Topper, The Alchemist
    Dreadnaught IPA, Three Floyds
    Arctic Panzer Wolf, Three Floyds
    120, Dogfish Head
    Burton Baton, Dogfish Head
    Hop Crisis, 21st Amendment

5. Funny that this topic was posted, as I've been thinking about this subject a bit recently. Just how quickly do hoppy beers fade off and become a shade of their former selves?

Well, I recently had a GF West Coast IPA (one of the beers mentioned by the OP) with a bottling date from December 2012. If I hadn't seen the date, I would never have guessed it was a six month-old beer. The aromas and flavors were still assertive and strong.

There are a lot of beers I simply haven't sampled enough times to have a good idea just how much the hop profiles are fading over time, but I've had WCIPA quite a few times--enough to hazard a guess that the six month bottle had retained probably 80-90% of its character.

6. The ones that hold up the best to me (of what I drink regularly) are Two-Hearted, Racer 5, Westbrook IPA, and Founders Centennial. Most of the time I can buy a 6-pack of this stuff without even caring about the bottle/can date. Deschutes Inversion also holds up very well.

The one that falls off the fastest is definitely Sculpin. It's still very good out of the bottle, but I have never had a bottle of it that compared to either it fresh on draft, or the fresh can I was extra'd from a Cali trading partner recently. One local place gets sixtels of it and blows through about one a week so it's always fresh; even though the price per pint is about $1 higher than many other bars around here, I will gladly pay that for such good freshness on Sculpin.

7. Port anniversary always holds its weight amongst the others and after 6 months it still tasted quite delicious

8. Double Trouble and Racer 5 is the only ones I tried that holds its hoppy flavor for a long time. Other then that Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere lost its hops but taste better with 8-9 months on it, I love it. Not a ipa but Bigfoot also with 8-9 months is better, imo. Torpedo fades(maybe it was really old). Oh, and for two hearted 3 months max.

9. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Agreed. Abrasive holds up better than any other DIPA I've had. Still great months later!

10. The longest IPA I ever kept over a year is the Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA. I did not notice any loss in flavor. I would not do this with any other IPAs

11. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

My buddy actually saved some Celebration from last year as an experiment, and we did a side by side with fresh. Hands down the fresh was the winner. The year old just isn't the same beer in any respect to me.

12. FW Double Jack. Just had a 6 month old one (oops!) and it was tasting amazing... I am not one to let hoppy beers sit around but that one did get forgotten about in the back of the fridge.

13. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I had a 4 month old Heady and it was still good. Better than most of the fresh shelf DIPA's.

14. Some folks have posted about finding some older hoppy beers that got ‘lost’ in the refrigerator. If you have the ability to refrigerate your hoppy beers that will indeed help those beer from going stale (hop fade). Cold storage retards oxidation processes and therefore a hoppy beer will last longer if it is continually kept cold.

Cheers!

LambicPentameter likes this.