1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs or APAs with the most grapefruit flavor

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrownAleMale, Dec 16, 2012.

1. After looking at reviews this seems to be a good starting point. Thanks!

2. Drinkin that right now!

RattleheadKV2 likes this.
  3. Maximus for sure. And Karl Strauss Tower Ten.

4. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

Gandhi Bot

5. I remember Bridgeport IPA having a grapefruit flavour. Also Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn

6. Schwerzpunkt

Schwerzpunkt Aficionado (135) Oct 9, 2012

Green Flash West Coast IPA, Flower Power, Southern Tier 2xIPA (really noticed grapefruit with this one)

7. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Hill Farmstead Society and Solitude #5. May as well have been made with grapefruit, by grapefruit, for grapefruit. On grapefruit day. In grapefruit town. And fermented in grapefruit.

Grapefruit.

BrownAleMale, Gosox8787 and vurt like this.
  8. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I get grapefruit from Maximus

BrownAleMale likes this.
  9. I'd say pure tangerine juice and fresh cut grass....and dank 420 to boot

10. Tired Hands Flavorama
    HF Citra and Double Citra

11. PtE = Tangerine - Pineapple, fresh cut grass and lingering 420

Bad Boy = Much of the same, add mango

Heady Topper - Mauna Lai juice and oranges, dank pine.

Dreadnaught = Big Mango, Tropical juice and BIG Peaches....Marajuana in spades, etc

ADD highly hyped IPA/DIPA HERE

Only reason why I can relate to when descriptors of grapefruit come up is becuase IPA & DIPAs finish bitter for the most part. Am I wrong? I LOVE citrussy hops but HATE GRAPEFRUIT as a food.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Discuss

sacrelicio likes this.
  12. Taste is subjective; that may as well be this site's mantra.

To answer your question, I have gotten grapefruit in Surly Wet 2012, Deschutes Chasin' Freshies, nearly every Sierra Nevada, Founders Double Trouble, Dreadnaught, and Zombie Dust.

I haven't gotten marijuana in very many beers, so that's my smell/palate fault, I guess?

13. So you have been drinking those IPA's only for 10+years? Try beers with centennial, cascade and especially chinook.

14. Many others I left out. Double Sunshine beaming with oranges, mangos and Pineapples (very well balanced with the malts but no straight up grapefruit for me) Feel free to give examples...

Cheers!

15. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I've pretty much decided to give IPAs a break, because of the grapefruit taste. I would contribute it to my palate, if my wife and dad hadn't said the exact same thing, without any prompting from me.

They included:
    Zombie Dust (technically an APA)
    Nasferatu
    etc, etc ,etc....

Turned down an offer for Heady Topper for fear of the grapefruit hatred.

Glad it works for you. Wish it would for me, with all the great IPAs out there.

16. Try more grapefruit flesh, not just the rind.

17. Finest Kind, Nugget Nectar, Resin, etc

18. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Hopslam.

Only beer that comes to mind with a big grapefruit punch.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  19. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

the reference to grapefruit is not literal (if it is you're just wrong) just like when folks write chocolate they are referring to the suggestion or approximation of the flavor rather than the actual taste (have you ever drank a beer that tasted like an actual chocolate bar? doubt it).

20. Just had a Flower Power which I though had a distinct grapefruit flavor.

njhopspop likes this.
  21. That sounds really, really cannibalistic.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  22. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

A couple weekends ago I tried Fresh Squeezed IPA at the Deschutes Brewpub in Portland. It had plenty of citrus aromas and a huge ruby red grapefruit flavor right up front. Really good stuff. A recent review of the beer mentions that there are plans to bottle it next year, so you might want to keep your eyes open for that one.

23. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

The question must be asked......have you ever actually eaten a grapefruit?
    If so, then I find your disability,to be very odd. On the other hand, you seem to have been blessed with other exraordinary taste abilities,including the ability to taste mauna lai juice in your beer!

24. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

You say you don't like grapefruit, I think it's just your mind associating the flavors that you enjoy in the beer to flavors you know you enjoy. Really, you've listed a lot of other citrus notes you've tasted, just not grapefruit. I love grapefruit, and to me personally, heady topper has HUGE grapefruit notes. As does Dreadnaught. I think you just taste them as other fruits, because you like the way the beer tastes and your mind (and palate) knows the flavors you enjoy.

stayclean likes this.
  25. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I've never tasted onion/green onion, but there's a whole thread about beers I've had dozens of times that I should have been tasting onions in. I'm not worried about it.

26. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

that's 3 words. :cool:

Somebody said Hoptimum earlier. Have to agree with that one, also have to agree with PTE being pure grapefruit juice, but to me it also has a ton of sweetness behind all that grapefruit.

27. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I'm the same way, I get more grapefruit rind/oil on the nose than the palate. I taste plenty of other citrus fruits in IPAs but not that one, and I have had my fair share of IPAs and DIPAs. Grapefruits don't actually taste the way most people think they do, they are pretty acidic and bitter, much more so than the juicy hop flavors of most modern American IPAs.

28. One batch of Hair of the Dog Blue Dot DIPA a couple of years ago had a finish that tasted like I had just eaten a piece of grapefruit. And I do mean that literally. I love grapefruit, so I loved the beer as well. Subsequent batches have not had that punch.

29. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I agree, hops have kind of a Rorschach effect to them, they taste and smell different to everyone and reflect things you like or are familiar with.

franklinn likes this.
  30. Why are you tasting mango in your beers and weed instead of hops? Never have I tasted a mango IPA, and as you said it...EVER. Stop smoking. Kills cilia.

31. A fresh, draught Lagunitas IPA is heavily grapefruit.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  32. jsteele7777

jsteele7777 Aspirant (30) Indiana Jan 18, 2012

Schlafly's Tasmamian IPA is the most grapefruit flavor I've ever gotten.

33. I smoked weed for over ten years and I've still never ONCE tasted weed in any beer of mine. I get grapefruit all the time. Palettes, man, crazy things.

stayclean likes this.
  34. Everyone has their own unique set of taste receptors. You may not be able to taste/smell what people call grapefruit in beer. I get the onion/garlic in some beers. I get pine and tropical fruit in some beers, and my wife gets cat pee.

fredmugs likes this.
  35. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My note detecting skills is pretty poor but the Good Life Descender IPA I had recently definitely had a grapefruit vibe going on.

36. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Grapefruit is the easiest flavor to identify in IPAs because its not a "reminds me of" or a "brings to minds sort of a ....", but rather its grapefruit, in your face waving a Tropicana flag.

When I had my first DIPA, Hop Wallop, I thought the beer was bad because it tasted exactly like grapefruit

BrownAleMale likes this.
  37. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Caldera, Sculpin, Maharaja, Zombie Dust, Smuttynose IPA, Hop Wallop, Sweetwater.

Fill in something from a Plains state or Texas and you should have varying degrees of grapefruit wherever you go.

38. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

Union Jack, Odells IPA and Red Chair are my faves