1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs that don't taste like dish soap

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wafels_and_schnapps, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

OP is from the Boston area...Dogfish 60 and 90 are readily available and usually fresh. To me, the 90 minute is better balanced. Jack's Abby for sure - they are well-balanced, maybe Hoponius Union which we can definitely get fresh. Maybe something from Clown Shoes, although they can get pretty aggressive too. I think we get Flower Power (Ithaca?) around the city too. Harpoon - not a fan. Hated my first IPA (Boston Beer Latitude 48). Just for the bitterness it is something you have to ease into, but the objection here isn't the bitterness.

Actually, I can understand the dish soap thing even though I don't experience it. Lots of dish soaps are citrus based and use grapefruit extracts/oils and such. Or maybe it is the floral notes in some of the big hoppy brews that makes the connection with the floral type dish soaps. So you get the piney, resinous, citrusy, sometimes floral notes from the hops (especially some of the hop bombs) - could see that connecting with a dish soap taste/smell.

Or it is possible that whatever was tried actually DID taste like dish soap...
  2. [​IMG]Firestone Walker Union Jack is very balanced and tasty and has a nice little kick at 7.5% as well. Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin is a Wheat IPA that is also balanced and tasty. IPA's like beer itself is an acquired taste so you just have to start trying different ones until you become used to them and they really come in handy in the summer when you want to change it up.
    DrDemento456 likes this.
  3. Hopslam, Schlafly TIPA, dogfishhead 90 min., Sixpoint Resin to name a few
  4. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I only started drinking IPA's about a year ago, Before that I would have one Arrogant Bastard, and say wow too much and move on to something else. Then I started drinking Pale Ales, Widmer Drifter was the only "Craft" beer at my favorite lunch spot so I started with that. I like the citrus, Grapefruit taste and then looked for the Citra hopped IPA's, now I can drink almost any IPA and enjoy it. Even the most hopped up monsters.

I have also found just this fall that I like the 'WET' hopped IPA's they seem smoother and less slap you in the face biter to me. Bottom line you just have to try them and keep notes on what you like and what you dislike.

good luck
  5. Unfortunately, since I have had soap put into my mouth when I was younger, I can say with certainty that it will not taste like Jai Alai.
    Which most assuredly does suck.
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I gave a friend of mine a taste of Hangar 24 DIPA and he commented it tasted like dish soap. Maybe that citrus smell is doing a number on your other senses.
  7. IPAs should never taste like soap.
  8. LeRose

Good luck - I did a quick Google on IPA soapy taste, and you apparently aren't alone in perceiving IPAs (and other highly hopped beers) this way. Some people do taste highly hopped brews as being soapy. Cilantro too - my spousal unit says that (soapy and metallic). Can't confirm on IPAs though since she can't get past the bitterness (nothing much over 60 IBU for her). So don't pick up Stone Ruination by mistake, yeah? On the other hand, I went from good lord Ruination is awful where can I spit this out to holy crap this stuff is freakin' awesome in about three sips, so what do I know...

I do think there's people here interested (home brewers for one), so please do a follow up. Sometimes, as with most forums, ya need a thick skin and sense of humor ;)
    checktherhyme likes this.
  9. Get a Hop Stoopid. It is a little sweeter and very fruity so that may change your perspective. The bitterness of some IPAs may be precieved as soapy to you. I'm not sure. I know some people have a weird enzyme that makes cilantro taste like soap too.
  10. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Hmmm? I never get that from IPAs. I'd guess your palate just hasn't acquired the taste for them.
  11. LeRose

There's an idea...Hop Stoopid (high) versus Sumpin' Sumpin' (medium) versus the Pale Ale (low) - that would kinda cover the range of bitterness, although mixes style a bit, from one good brewery. Thinking it might help find where the soapy threshold is if it is hops/bitters related.
  12. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Your palate is probably going to need some warming up to the amount of hops. But give it some time, and make sure you drink the whole thing. I fought my girlfriend on this, then she finished a pint of an IPA once, and now all she will order are hop bombs.
  13. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I've never gotten a dish soap taste and I don't know which ones you've tried but Sam Adams Latitude 48 is a great IPA for breaking into them, its what got me started on IPA's. It's a middle of the road beer. Also, some easily attainable IPAs include Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Stone IPA, and Stone Ruination. These are more hop forward though!
  14. You have fantastic dish soap.
  15. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

It sounds like you're drinking old IPAs. Try some that are fresh (if it doesn't have a bottle date, don't bother)
  16. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

17. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

Launitas makes a few varieties, all of them are pretty flavorful. I also second Two Hearted, which someone mentioned earlier
  18. This thread reminds me of my first experiences of Bass . It was dry hopped in those days and definitely had a "soapy" characteristic.It's an unfortunate description because it was rather nice!
    There are masses of IPAs which don't have the characteristics you wish to avoid.Try the so-called "English" version though be aware that IPA was once another name for bitter so there are lots of low hopped low ABV ones around. But I had a couple of White Shield the other day; if you don't mind a beer from Coors I can recommend it. Certainly not soapy! It's claimed to have used the same recipe since the early 1800s ..........pinch of salt taken :)
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3349/12627
  19. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I have never tasted dish soap in an ipa but genetically I can smell asparagus in pee so I got that going for me.
    klinger and wafels_and_schnapps like this.
  20. GeoffTBreashears

GeoffTBreashears Aspirant (45) Jan 7, 2013

Ive actually found most IPA's to carry more of a Pine Tree flavor, and personally I do not enjoy drinking a glass of Pine Tree. However, in my opinion any sort of a wheat IPA really helps to offset the overwhelming hoppy-ness that most IPA's offer.
  21. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

You didn't grow up in my house-I used to get my mouth washed out with soap on a regular basis.
    When I drink Stone Ruination I get the taste of dish soap, but it was my daughter's favorite IPA for years and she never tasted soap.
  22. I often suggest Heavy Seas-Loose Cannon as a starter IPA. Bold but not obnoxious. My personal favorite APA is new belgiums spring seasonal "Dig." Another route you could go would be to try some of the lower ABV IPA's i.e. Lagunitas Daytime, Founders All Day IPA. Cheers.
  23. Do you smoke? Maybe buy a tongue scraper and give it a go.

I've had beers w/ a soapy note before but its certainly not in the majority of IPAs.
  24. Get em fresh! To me, IPA's that are stale or old have a chemical-like character that is really off putting.
  25. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I (regrettably) had a bottle of Galaxy Unicorn that tasted both like onions and a bar of soap. I still have another bottle sitting in my fridge that will likely go unopened as a result.
  26. non-smoker.
  27. True. Although I'm also am not too familiar with bars that have good selections...I haven't ventured too far out of JP. Still sorta knew in these parts.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Seriously, if you live in Boston, seek out some Heady Topper. Fresh HT took me from loving malt forward beers to looking for hop bombs.
  29. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

Remember too, that IPA's are meant to be drank as fresh as possible. Drink from tap if you can, and watch for the batch date on the bottle...
  30. There's been a few PA's that, to me, have a subtle, not entirely unpleasant soapy note to them: Sierra Nevada Pale, Stone Pale, Mission St. Pale. I don't know that I've ever had an IPA that exhibited a soapy character, at least none that come to mind. Victory Storm King Imperial Stout has a soapiness in the back end that kills it for me.
  31. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I used to hate IPAs too. Most of them were just too hoppy for me. But I kept trying various breweries and the result was that my taste changed to being able to enjoy a higher hop profile. I've recently found a few that I really enjoy. Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale was just a revelation. I also really liked Meadowlark IPA by Pretty Things out of Boston

I think that like anything else, you have to hunt around to find the flavor profile that you respond to. Once you do, I think you'll find quite a few of any type of beer to be enjoyed.
    LeRose likes this.
  32. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

This was in my stocking for Christmas. Soap that smells like an IPA (don't know about taste):

[​IMG]
  33. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Double Jack is easy to find and very approachable imo
  34. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I think its a perfect analogy. Heavy hopped has that sort of flavor.

Mom couldn't find a bar of soap once and I got about a cup of dish soap. She felt so bad afterwards I never got the soap again.

With that said I think many of the the lighter IPA's are good. Two Hearted (good), Stone Pale (good), Celebration (fantastic), but when it goes to Ruination, Enjoy by, SN Southern and Northern really strong hopped I drink them so I know what I'm missing...... but I don't really miss them.
  35. Dish soap?

I guess it makes sense. bright, fresh, piney and astringent are all adjectives commonly used on both products. Some people hate cilantro because they think it tastes like soap. I love IPAs, cilantro, and even soap for its proper purpose. I guess I'm just fortunate.
  36. Is hub available in your area? Its much more on the citrus tip! Delicious and NON piney.
  37. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Awesome. I was actually thinking about getting the Jai Alai soap from Cigar City, but then I thought that my girlfriend might not like the smell of hops as much as I do.
  38. I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was already mentioned. As much as I love Revolution Brewery here in Chicago I always get the dish soap taste when I drink their anti-hero IPA. I keep drinking it, because I like it, but dammit if I don't taste some soapiness in each sip.
  39. Something is wrong with your pallet if you are tasting even a slight resemblance to dish soap. I suggest not moving forward with craft beer in favor of wine.
  40. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

It's an aquired tast IMO
    DelMontiac likes this.