1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs that don't taste like dish soap

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wafels_and_schnapps, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

You know, you're right. I've always tasted something "off" to me in Anti-Hero and I think it may be a sort of floral soap taste. I could never put my finger on it before.
  2. lic217

lic217 Savant (430) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Founders Red Rye IPA is about as good as it gets (if it is fresh). It also seems relatively easy to find.
  3. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Thats funny I generally don't like IPA's and Cilantro is on the bottom of my list for flavors as well. Never thought of there being any kind of connection.
  4. Wardo

Wardo Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 17, 2012

Try a Dogfish 90, an Avery Maharaja - both readily available in the market.

Bells Hopslam to be released at the end of the month. If none of those do it for you, IPA's aren't for you :)
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If you don't like fruity hops, you might want to try a Heady Topper. It smells of peach and pineapple, but the taste is surprisingly burly and bitter.

Maybe a maltier IPA will do the trick for you, Zombie Dust perhaps?
  6. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I suppose too, it bears pointing out that you aren't required to like anything per se: Taste is taste. The Latin : de gustibus non est disputandum says it all. And to save you the bother for this most awesome bit of wisdom, wiki tells us it translates roughly to: "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes (literally, there must not be debate concerning taste)." You aren't missing something you don't like, so don't bother to try. All soap or not soap. You don't have to be the life of the party, just yours.
  7. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Heady Topper still takes some effort to find around these parts. Start with Smuttynose IPA or Bear Republic Racer 5, which is available at pretty much every beer store in the city. Hell, Sam Adams Latitude 48 isn't a bad place to start.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'd make the drive from denver to get HT, boston seemed closer than that. ;)
  9. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I love Heady Topper!! It softens my hands while drinking.
    otispdriftwood likes this.
  10. The only IPA I associate with a little dish soap flavor is Hellhound. Still not bad tho.
  11. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

It might taste better with dish soap in it!! ;)

Just joking kinda, but probably my least favorite IPA ever.
  12. Why is the solution to these kinds of problem never just to roll into your local bottle shop and/or beer bar and announce that you're not a hop head but you want to dabble your toe in the IPA waters again and see if anything strikes your fancy. Then just ask the beer nerd on the premises to pick you out a few that are drinking well at the moment.

That's what these places love to do. And after a few visits they will be dialed right into your palate and gradually start to stretch your boundaries until there isn't a style on earth that you can't see some beauty in.

As one of these resident beer nerds at one of these kinds of places, trust me when I tell you they will be thrilled at your willingness to try new things. And it's a 100 percent fact that you will end up drinking beer that you like better as a result.

Ok. End of speech. Just had to represent for my 'professional' beer nerds out there.

Cheers!
  13. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

What do you think about cilantro? I ask as people who don't like it, usually think it tastes like soap; not a complaint I've heard about hops before.
  14. You're doing it wrong... somehow, I dunno, but wrong none-the-less!!!
  15. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

16. Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA. It's hops are citrusy good, and it's what I'm drinking now. Hints of grapefruit/tangerine, no dish soap.
  17. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

I hated IPAs until 1 month ago. Tried them a few times over the years never finished one. Then someone recommended Ithaca Flower Power to me, I drank it without knowing it was an IPA. My tongue shriveled up and the taste was awful, maybe soapy. I swore them off forever. A few months ago I was the middle man on 2 cases of Heady Topper, i didn't try one. The next month I see a case of Stone Enjoy By 12/21/12 getting delivered into a supermarket so I bought it only to hand out to friends. The last bottle never made it out of my fridge. It was 12/20/12 and I went for it. WOW!!!! It clicked and it was amazing. Next fresh bottles of Sierra Nevada Estate get delivered again amazing... A few days later I am in line at Alchemist, Heady Topper is ridiculously tasty, love it. Two days ago store got Flower Power delivered, i gave it a shot and it was pretty good. The other flower power must have been old. I never checked dates before.
    Freshnesss is by far the most important thing with an IPA.
    Very simple solution. Find the higest rated IPA or IIPA in your area that you know you can get FRESH. I mean bottled, canned and drank within 2 to 3 weeks max. You will see why this site is filled with hop heads. No more soap. Buy your IPAs like its milk and you will be a happier person guaranteed!!!
  18. Sixpoint Resin
    Dogfish 90min
    Should be easy to get, not too expensive
  19. Irish2Foam

Irish2Foam Zealot (75) Minnesota Jul 17, 2008

Torpedos away me lads and lassies!
  20. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I got dish soap and raspberries from DFH 90 minute. That's the only one I really can think of as soapy though.
  21. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

you must be drinking Climax. that's the only IPA I've ever had that tastes even remotely like dish soap.
  22. drevim

drevim Aficionado (180) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I have all but given up on IPAs simply because I despise grapefruit, and get that off virtually every IPA I've tried. Zombie Dust, This One Goes to 11, Stones, etc, etc.

My wife upon her first sip of Zombie Dust at the brewpub called it dish soap, and has insisted that a lot of the FFFs have the dish soap taste. Took me about 2 weeks to figure out that the smell she was associating with it was very similar to a citrus hand soap we have. And to be fair, it does have a very similar nose, not sure about the taste.
  23. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

ISO Dishsoap...Jai Alai is an incredible IPA
  24. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Are we rinsing our glasses well?
    tectactoe likes this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It needs to be easy to get IPA's, no jumping thru hoops kinda regional brews. Two Hearted Ale, it's simply great, not overly bitter, a little bit of tangerine/orange on citrus side. If you don't like two Hearted I'd just stop forcing what you don't like, it's as clean and simple as an IPA can be and IMO it's a world class IPA. I can see Simcoe hops passing for cat piss, or onions flavors to some brews, never dish soap.
  26. Had a pint of Caledonian Deuchar's IPA just now; 3.8% ABV and 36 IBU. Lovely thirst quenching stuff with not a hint of dish soap.Bottled version is 4.4% by the way. The Bros describe it as World Class.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/188/2389
  27. You should try the seasonally released Imperial Dawn. No other dish soap will seam to clean as good after.
  28. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

You are pretty close to Jack's Abby in Framingham too, off Rt. 135. The have Hoponius Union on tap, among other tasty offerings (Smoke and Dagger makes me do Homer Simpson noises...)
  29. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Not sure if you have access to it, but there is a brewery out of Illinois called Two Brothers. They put out a very unoffensive yet delicious IPA called Resistance. It's actually aged on oak for 3 months. Very citrusy but not really bitter like most of them.
    mecummins likes this.
  30. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I hear that descriptor a lot but never really got it, the closest I think I've got is centennial from flying dog. It was like drinking Fruity Pebbles covered mild lemon juice. I thought it was awesome, if thats what everyone is talking about then I like dish soap.

ISO: This cough medicine

Just Had Head Hunter for the first time after trying to find it for so long. After reading the Pliny killer thread I decided there was no way I was leaving Pittsburgh without one. Fantastic beer... and I do like it more than Pliny. Its brighter, and less dank and resinous, I tend to prefer the former. Not to say I don't also enjoy a little ever green and cat pee every now and again.

I grab Ithica flower power every time I go up north too. That beer is so damn good. Another I would take over Pliny for the same reasons X10. So bright and floral, awesome tropic fruit, and a healthy bite. Those beers were the second and third beer I've ever bought by the case.

Double Dog is another tropical fruit bomb with bite

Uintas Hop Notch is awesome more pine and grapefruit then the other two at least.

I think Two Hearted is a top 3 or maybe even 2 IPA. Creamy and smooth like no other, just enough of everything plenty of bite, but still so so creamy. How do they do that? @Home brewers (House yeast?) Probably the most accessible they've got a pretty long reach of distribution.

Pliny and Heady ARE both awesome but elusive.
  31. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

Try Dale's Pale Ale. Even my non-craft beer friends like it.
  32. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

It has been mentioned a few times, but I wouldn't start with a Dogfish Head 90 for someone who doesn't like IPAs. try the 60. Sierra Nevada is also a good place to start as some suggested. It is a gateway beer to the world of hops. Think citrus, not soap.
  33. Two Hearted is a simple ingredient list, 2-row brewers malt, 2 row Pale malt, Crystal malt, Centennial hops, Bells house yeast, and probably some gypsum in the water (I have seen bags of gypsum there).

The process is important, and they use shallow cone angle conicals for fermentation and dry hopping. I think the added surface area they hops have when they sink is why these are important enough that they ordered 14 more for the brewery expansion.
  34. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

I see you're from Boston, so IMO Gandhi-bot is a good choice! Delicious DIPA, clean, refreshing and should be easy to access for you! Cheers!
  35. I soak my fingernails in it.
    Horbar likes this.
  36. I love cilantro. Cilantro and hops are totally unrelated flavors for me. Strange.
  37. Flower Power, Union Jack, Hop Notch, and Perpetual IPA, not even a hint of dish detergent.
  38. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Wrong answer! Ok, not wrong, because cilantro is great and doesn't taste like soap, but not the answer that I was looking for.

There's something in the new hops book about research from Sapporo showing that both Citra hops and coriander contain a compound called geraniol that is transformed during fermentation to citronellol and that taste panels perceived beers made with these two ingredients as similar.
    LeRose likes this.
  39. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

When I first started drinking craft beer, the first IPA I had was Torpedo, and I didn't care for it. After that, I had a Red Hook Long Hammer, and it was drinkable to me, and honestly, from there, I revisited Torpedo, and it wasn't bad. Since then, I've had a ridiculous number of IPA's, as they are now my favorite style.