1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

IPAs that don't taste like dish soap

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wafels_and_schnapps, Jan 7, 2013.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

My first IPA was Hop Devil and it was on.

2. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (725) California Dec 15, 2012

I found the following two - Full Sail IPA and Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA to be quite tasty without the excess hoppiness of other IPA's. It was mellow, smooth, and very easy to drink.

3. OP: I see you're on the east coast. If you're looking for freshness, I've often found Dogfishhead 60 minute on the shelf just days off the bottling line. It's not my favorite IPA, but still really tasty and I'll often pick it up when I see something outrageously fresh. That may help a little bit in determining if your issue has been drinking old (soapy??!!??) IPA's or if your palate just doesn't mesh with the style. Nothing is for everyone.

4. I have had IPA that i would say is close to dish soap. Palate is based off of smell and a lot of women have better sniffers. This is not necessarily a good thing, so please do not take offense. For instance, I cannot go near a bath and bodyworks without getting sick to my stomach.

5. Great Lakes Commodore Perry or Arcadia B-Craft Black

6. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Boozy beers are the only thing that comes to mind.

7. milesbrew

milesbrew Zealot (85) Rhode Island May 12, 2011

Go to Armsby Abbey best beer bar east of New York City!! Always a fresh IPA offering Sculpin, Edward, Green Flash or ???...always a world class FRESH ...IPA on tap...next best choice Hopinous Union/ Jacks Abbey local brew...most stores cant keep it on the shelves...so if u find it its fresh

8. Stop brushing your teeth with Palmolive and then try some FW Union Jack, Flower Power, or CCB Jai Alai.

9. 20% of the population taste cilantro as soap. That is well known.

You talk of the taste from coriander, which is the cilantro seeds, which do not taste like cilantro.

10. Beer tasting is very subjective, as we all have our individual impression of beer. One thing I like to ask the OP is about any medications being taken, dietary intake and the like. If IPA's were soapy a lot of people wouldn't like them but Meds, and food can influence your pallette. A smoky room can destroy your ability to smell and taste.

Your olfactory ability...your ability to taste is influenced greatly by your ability to smell. Have you ever drank a beer with your head plugged up? 70% of your ability to taste comes from your sense of smell.

Another thing is the 'Power of Suggestion'. For example if you ask your buddy...'hey taste this it tastes like soap'. In almost every case the seed you planted in your buddys head is there for that moment and beyond...

11. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I know this has already been said & discussed at length, but I think that the majority of dish soaps have citrus, herbal and floral scents, and these are typically desirable flavor profiles in an ipa - and some of them even mention "honey" in the title - there's yer sweetness to balance out the hops... I'm just sayin ;)