1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ipourit RFID Technology

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by FosterJM, Dec 10, 2012.

1. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

I find it interesting how much dissent there is in here. It is as if people believe that these bar systems will take over our neighborhood bars tomorrow. I think it is an intriguing idea and it would be cool to check out. I like the idea of reserving pours ahead of time, especially if this could somehow be incorporated with limited stuff. It sounds like there would be quite the interactive component too, which as BA's, we are already in to. It would also be cool to be able to do a bunch of 1-2 ounce samples (tick tick tick). I doubt that we will see this be the standard for bars in the future, but I think it would be a cool change of pace to check out every now and then.

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

in summary, this thread will not be used for marketing purposes.

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  3. Rather soulless isn't it? It's treating beer simply as a commodity.Leave that to bottles and cans.
    Part of the fun of drinking in a pub is the interaction with the staff.Being given samples , top ups etc.I don't like talking to machines.
    The upsides in the US will appear to be a) an end to the ridiculous tipping culture and b) you might actually get what you pay for with a metered dispense instead of being ripped off.
    But as I already have these in my pub I'll stick to being served by a human being.

4. I, for one, don't really want to talk to the bartender. Or have to rely on them to get my drink. Countless times I've waited longer than I wanted to get a beer. If I could do it at my own leisure, Id be far happier.

je1129 likes this.
  5. I never thought about it like that. I suppose your right. I guess I was just rubbed the wrong way on the idea that the sole purpose of the conversation is to pass a "are you too drunk" test. But as you said, that is inherent in any bartender/customer relationship. I guess I just assumed that doesn't happen, because a handful of the places I go to never cut people off (not saying that's ok at all). Nevertheless, for the other reasons I listed, I am still not a fan of this gadget.

6. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

The place I see this being a good idea - sporting events, concerts, etc. You could have these set up kiosk style with one attendant. You don't really interact with the server at those places anyway.

Without being too negative, I'll agree with some of the others here that it's not for me.

7. I'll fully agree that it's an intriguing novelty, and as an earlier poster said, I totally wouldn't mind seeing these at stadium events or even BMC bars. I just see don't want to see it anywhere near craft bars - it raises too many potential issues around tracking, pouring, sanitization, etc. And that's just the big ones raised in this thread - all sorts of lesser concerns. (Like refunds for off/stale beers, 1/3 glass pours from kicked kegs, getting charged for 1 oz samples, having to wait in a long line for a popular tap where a bartender could pour multiples more efficiently, and on and on)

8. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

As a general rule, productivity increases create more than is lost. Its a bigger pie kind of thing.

9. I think people are focusing in a little too heavily on the bartender interaction issue. There are lots of different kinds of bars. The kinds where it's low key enough that you can really have a conversation with your bartender probably wouldn't be doing enough volume to even consider something like this. But there are lots of bars where bartender interaction isn't really possible as things stand now. There's room for both in the market.

The sanitary issues are a much bigger concern for me, but realistically I think it's something that can be dealt with. I think this is a really smart idea that used in the right places in the right ways could offer positives far outweighing the negatives.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  10. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

I'd love to try this. Also I eat the peanuts sitting in the bowl on the bar, I don't use a paper towel to open the bathroom door, and I'll eat at a buffet and I'm fine so.... ha!

11. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

And if your starving for human interaction because no one would come with you to the bar, chat up the guy or hopefully-women-next to you.