1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Irish Moss

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Swim424, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Swim424

Swim424 Member

I have seen powdered and unpowdered irish moss. My question is does one work better than the other? and whats the conversion. like how much of one is equal to the other?
  2. dfess1

dfess1 Member

I don't know. I just use a whirfloc tablet. Does the same thing, one tablet per 5 gal batch. Drop it in at 15 min mark and that's it!
  3. Swim424

Swim424 Member

Thats more the powder version. I bought like the grinded up/ crumbled looking stuff and put it in at the 15 min mark. Guess I'll find out soon how well that works.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

I use Irish Moss flakes in my homebrewed beers. I have never used the powder form so I can’t comment about powder.

I rehydrate my Irish Moss flakes and add them with 15 minutes left in the boil. My homebrews come out nice and clear.

Cheers!
  5. Swim424

Swim424 Member

how do you rehydrate them?
  6. HopNuggets

HopNuggets Member

I just add 1 tsp into the boil with 20 minutes left. I have never heard of rehydrating irish moss and don't know if it's even necessary.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

From Al Korzonas’ homebrew book:

“The Irish Moss should be rehydrated in a cup of clean water for 12-24 hours and then added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you forget to rehydrate it, go ahead and use it dry, but it will make a bigger difference if you rehydrate it first.”

I have just rehydrated for the duration of the boil (about an hour) and that seems to ‘work’ fine too.

Cheers!
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

If you are happy with the clarity that you are getting by pitching the Irish Moss dry then the ‘answer’ is that it is not necessary to rehydrate the Irish Moss.

Cheers!