1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is 2008 Black Albert and 2009 Xantus worth anything?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TheHooch, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TheHooch

TheHooch Zealot (95) California Jun 22, 2012

Just picked up a couple bottles of each to try since I haven't come across them before and I didn't realize they are their first release bottles. Any info would be awesome!

Cheers!
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Just make sure you maximize your portfolio and roll the other party as hard as possible so that you come out "ahead".
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

How much did you pay for them? Multiply by .2 BTU's
    blvdlvr likes this.
  4. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Someone went to Toronado.
    beerific likes this.
  5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Hm, I was going more for KHU - but those could be devalued by the impending BCBBW release this year.....so should we go back to BTU? Not Black Tuesday - Beat B5U?
    davey101 likes this.
  6. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (360) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Drink them. Black Albert is awesome.
    aasher likes this.
  7. The 2008 Black Albert is great right now.
  8. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

The BT market is certainly fragile ever since 2012 was released in some quantity. I miss eBay and its glorious ability to tell me how much I should overpay on a beer.

B5U may be viable until B6U comes along with a one pallet limit
    cavedave, domtronzero and evilc like this.
  9. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

People complain that we should torpedo ISO:FT, but if anything the amount of these threads popping up lately suggest we nuke this forum.

Post ya brews on StubHub...my cousin can get you a good rate.
    davey101 likes this.
  10. the thing that confuses me about these posts is how indelicately they're worded. asking about approximate value is harmless but it seems that most of these threads are worded in the most grating, incendiary way possible.
    Auror and JulianB like this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

What did they cost again?
  12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Well assuming you gave a shop money for them, I'm sure they have you a receipt. That should spell out pretty clearly what they're worth.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I would say in the short term profit potential could be excellent. I would diversify your beer portfolio though, just in case not enough profit is realized to cover the expense of cellaring (especially considering the cost of putting a beer in cellar that doesn't appreciate as much in value as another beer you failed to put in your cellar in its place).

In the long term I believe these, especially Black Xantus, will show a lot of market volatility following the wide swings in pdev both experience. I recommend to invest with caution.
    davey101 and JulianB like this.
  14. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I see you don't have any trading history listed, and you are a somewhat newer member, so I'll assume you are a new trader.

I'm willing to offer the $ value of which you paid, for one of each of those fine beers, paid in tasty midwestern locals such as Head Hunter IPA, Founders brews, perhaps a local growler, or other tasty surprises.

In addition to the beers I will send, I'm willing to provide you with a trading reference for future use.

Let me know.

Also, thank you for your service.
  15. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Why is it that people talk about being cautious with 2012 join dates trading again?

Has anyone seen if the 2013s have their own scheme yet?

*yes I know I am generalizing.
    davey101 likes this.
  16. TheHooch

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I apologize I haven't updated my trade references, only about 10 trades so far though.

I suppose I worded the thread wrong. I was more interested in the trade value instead of cash value. All the replies do however give great insight on these beers to further my knowledge.

As for cash paid. $20 a bottle, 2 of each.

And I appreciate the thanks for my service in the Marine Corps.
  17. Arbitrator will trade you massive whales for Black Xantus. You should beermail him.
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

He may even share an ironically humorous piece of prose with you.
    Arbitrator, drewba and Gosox8787 like this.
  19. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

xantus is an amazing beer, but i'd imagine it would only fade with time. criminally underrated fresh though.

black albert probably steadily getting more and more amazing.

ironically, neither probably increasing in trade value. also, note that you're doing it (trading) wrong; just trade good shit for good shit and you'll get better shit than the silly stock market thing you think you're doing. note further that i'm not telling you that the values aren't high due to my belief that you're doing it wrong; they really aren't high (though maybe "for the right person," because who knows).

advice: drink them, and buy xantus (and other BA FW beers) fresh next time.
    domtronzero likes this.
  20. That's definitely not the 1st release of Black Albert, if that's what you were trying to say in your post.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  21. blvdlvr

blvdlvr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012

Have you drank one of your couple 2009 Black Xangtus yet? You may change your mind about trading it away after trying it. Just saying...the most recent batch that came out was great.
  22. TheHooch

No no. I didn't know if they were anything. For example trading them for off the shelfs or are they worth trying to get something decent for them. No stock market malarkey.

Tell me when the first release was then please, I would appreciate that since all info I read on websites said it was.

Cheers!
  23. TheHooch

Awesome. I just picked up the new batch today, so I'll try that one first.
  24. TheHooch

Ah now I see. Yes that was the original recipe. It was recreated 2008 to a new recipe.

Thanks for the info!
  25. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

If something is available on the shelf, it's not decent?
  26. Krumb

Krumb Savant (280) Texas Jan 30, 2008

another one of these. no offense, op...but honestly, you bought the beers just to see if you could get something other than off-the-shelf in exchange? why not leave them for someone else to purchase, for the sake of drinking them?

maximizing profit. the "new" BA. beckett's beer monthly?
  27. TheHooch

Lol you guys are amusing. There is some funny characters on BeerAdvocate. I love this site.

Off the shelves are good, but you know exactly what I mean. No need to say anything more.

No actually I didn't just buy the beers to see if I could get something other than off the shelfs in exchange. Curiosity is a crime nowadays I guess.

And no these beers were not bought off the shelf. They were bought at an event. Obviously you couldn't just walk in a store and buy a 2008 Black Albert or 2009 Xantus like its the thing to do..... I WILL be drinking them. Enough said.

Cheers to all who left some good info for me! If you are ever in the Bay Area hit me up. I love sharing the wealth.
  28. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Black Albert > Darkness, Dark Lord, any other brewery only RIS
    domtronzero and Bad_Trader like this.
  29. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

he does know what you mean, and is implying that you've misunderstood something. i think he's probably right.
  30. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (360) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

You're mistaken.
    Pahn likes this.
  31. TheHooch

32. TheHooch said:
    Obviously you couldn't just walk in a store and buy a 2008 Black Albert...​
    Actually I have done that very thing more than once. Definitely considered it a find but these bottles are out there if you look hard enough.
  33. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Black Xantus is pretty bad, but you may be able to get more out of it if it's a special size bottle.

[​IMG]

(Courtesy of KevSal)
    TheHooch, claaark13, BobZ and 4 others like this.
  34. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I don't think Xantus fades at all...ive had a bunch from the last few years...it changes ..a lot... but i don't feel it gets worse...
  35. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

In fairness, it can't.
  36. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Black Xantus causes birth defects in marmosets
  37. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

well then I in particular better watch out....how far is a marmoset from a luwak? ....im not sure of the pathogenesis but 'd not be surprised if there is a reliably similar vector...

I hope i live long enough to go find some other great beer and make snarky remarks about it...otherwise, you know ,what's the point of living....
  38. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

Black Albert is shite!
    Just kidding. Not that bad, but also not one I thought was all that great. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it had a certain grape-like note to it the two times I've tried it. And it seems to perpetually occupy the shelf for $10/bottle at a certain store in St. Louis County.
  39. It is a fruity RIS for sure.