Is 63F too cool for full attenuation?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Wanda, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanda

Wanda Crusader (494) Nov 23, 2006 Tennessee

So I've got an Imperial Stout bubbling away (24hrs in at 8pm on Monday). This is my first time using any sort of temperature control, not counting closing or opening the one and only vent in my brew room, so I can set the temp to whatever I want. The fermentation chamber is set to 63 and the little thermo strip on the side of the carboy reads 63. I know inside the wort it's probably warmer but is the 63 ambient too cool to encourage full attenuation? The stout clocked in at 1.082 OG and I pitched two packs of properly rehydrated S-05.

This is the "biggest" beer I've done to date so fingers crossed.

2. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Texas

after 48hrs the bulk of the flavor esters have been made, I would recommend raising it up to 68 after that.

pweis909 and Wanda like this.
  3. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Sounds about right...I'd raise it up slowly to 68 as already mentioned

4. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

No experience to speak of ... only that S-05 min temp is listed @ 59°F (15C).

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It wouldn't hurt to raise the temperature toward the end, to speed things up. But there's no reason it shouldn't finish at 63F.

6. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

If anything you may be too warm. I'm guessing you want your US05 to be working around 64-66. The heat of fermentation will add ~4-6 degrees so your wort is pushing that limit. Remember, the yeast love the warmer temps, it's the drinker who wants it cooler.

To get a better feel of wort temp try to cover your thermo strip with bubble wrap. Hopefully this will give some indication of wort temp. Consider a thermowell, they are cheap and effective.

Your ester profile is largely determined in the first 72 hours of fermentation, raising your temp after this time should help the yeast finish with little danger of off flavors.

Whatever you do to prevent diacetyl, avoid ytuo.

FeDUBBELFIST, pweis909 and Wanda like this.
  7. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not exactly. Most esters are formed later, from fusels and other alcohols. It fair to say that the stage for the final ester profile has been largely set in the first few days though.

Wanda likes this.
  8. Wanda

Wanda Crusader (494) Nov 23, 2006 Tennessee

Thanks guys. I'll raise it up to 68 Wednesday night. Guess I'm a bit gun-shy with stouts/porters though there's no reason I should be. The first brew I ever made was a porter and it never went past 1.024 (1.050 OG) and tasted like shite. Think I'm just paranoid of repeating that experience.

9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I keep it at 62-64 for my big stouts for the first week roughly. Then I give them a slow ramp to 67-68, to sit for another week or two. I did this on the last 1.115 OG stout and got it to finish around 1.023. Kept it cool to keep the fusels and esters down.

I'd say you are okay. Give it a week and allow it to warm up as it's finishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.