1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Abrasive still in stores in Minneapolis/St Paul?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ogrerugby, Mar 9, 2014.

1. I'm flying in tomorrow for a few days and hoping that I can still find some Abrasive to get into my suitcase for the trip back to Boston. I'll be staying near the airport, but will have a car and will most likely he hitting up Happy Gnome, Town Hall Tap and Northbound while I'm there. I usually try to hit Zipps too.

thanks for any help,
    Mike
  2. Yep, it's still all over. Feel free to check with specific stores like Zipps, but it was in the last few stores I have been to in large quantity.

Canning dates vary as far back as December, but I would NOT worry too much with any canning date you find, as the stuff is just as delicious 3 months in as it is fresh.
  3. As stated before it's pretty plentiful. It's almost harder to find a store that doesn't have it in stock...
    opwog and AndrewPalmer like this.
  4. Awesome, thanks for the quick replies.
  5. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

You may want to see if you can find a bottle of Steel Toe's Size 11.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26565/78808/

Ignore the fact that it the overall score 91, because it is weighted down by a load of reviews for the May batch from last year, but the current batch is stellar and easily stands alongside Abrasive, if not maybe better.
  6. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (255) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

I wish I could get my hands on some Size 11. Every place I go is out.
  7. nograz

nograz Aficionado (135) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

Yeah it seems to have run out. I got a lot from the MGM in Hopkins. Last to.e I was there they probably had about 2 cases, went there last week and it was all gone.

I.am down to my last 2 bottles. :(
  8. May 2013 size 11 was my first drain pour. Why was this beer so god awful? I was offended that this was even sold. I have not built up the courage to try again it was so undrinkable.
    McRyan likes this.
  9. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Not sure it's still there, but they do have it on their website as being available in the taproom(both pours and bottle purchases). A friend picked up a couple bottles there 2 to 3 weeks ago.
  10. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Some bottles of Size 11 managed to make it to my whacky packie last Friday -- still there as of 2:30 today.
    SipIt likes this.
  11. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (255) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Saw a bunch of it at the downtown lunds liquor store. Though it was canned 12/27/13
  12. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

Saw some at Sunfish Cellars the other day. I bought one bottle, can't remember if there were more? Maybe give them a call if you're in the area.
  13. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Still at Princeton's in Maple Grove. Although every time I go in, I fear its absence.
  14. Yes... Although I wouldn't count on it being there for too long.
  15. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

I would think this stuff is going to be on shelves for a long time as most places still have some old inventory. I would guess the distributor has quite a stock pile of the newer canning dates left.
  16. Wow, tell us how you really feel. I'm sure if you write to Steel Toe they will sincerely apologize that you were offended that they dared to sell something that didn't appeal to you, individually.
  17. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Is there anyway to discern from the 2013 Size 11 version and 2014?
  18. Dust on the 2013 bottle? :)
    SipIt and McRyan like this.