1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is anyone else frustratingly beer isolated?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I could be persuaded to trade my beer accessibility for your living environment. As long as I could bring my existing cellar contents with me.
  2. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

Sounds like an opportunity for a local brewery!
    luwak likes this.
  3. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

That's funny you live in Sheridan, I have a cousin who lives there who you might know. If I ever go to visit her, I can bring you beer :). But as someone who also might be moving to a relatively beer-poor state in a few months, I feel your pain. My plan would be to road trip to surrounding states when possible (CO, ID, maybe even OR and WA) and accumulate a bunch of cellarable beers that way. Then you can either drink them or trade them for what you want throughout the year. Using the online shipping sites is also a smart move, though I think trading is more fun because you get to build relationships and send fun extras. It's definitely not the same as living in a town with good distro AND good local breweries, but it's a decent alternative. Good luck OP!
  4. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Thanks, everyone :)

Yes, I do make as many roadtrips as possible and stock up when I can as well as going to various breweries. We're going on a trip to Denver in early February, and we'll absolutely be bringing a haul home. I've considered the online beer sites, but so far haven't ordered anything. I'd be much more inclined to trade.

And I forgot to mention...I DO homebrew!!! We have two refrigerators in our living room...one for fermentation and another is a kegerator. We have kegs and several different brews in bottles. There's a Grand Cru and a pilsner fermenting. This weekend we're doing an all-grain pale ale. So between our homebrews and swapping homebrews with friends, I do get some variety that way.

I mentioned it in my OP, I'm not really interested in the "whales." I think if I ever got one, I'd be too afraid to drink it anyways. I'm not greedy, I'm just interested in variety. Just about any $9 six pack that many of you can find on the shelves year round would be new and exciting to me, lol.

And I have no desire to leave Wyo. As much as it pains me to say...I'd still be happy here even if Bud Light Lime was the most exotic thing we could get. Fortunately, that's not the case.
    boddhitree, Ri0 and mecummins like this.
  5. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

MommaGoose,
    I feel for you. I am a US lover of Belgian ales who is living in Spain. Here they think beer is just fizzy yellow stuff you drink to quench your thirst in between bottles of wine. I am lucky in two ways:

1) I have a job with some travel, so I use BA website to prep for every trip and bring home some good bottles from shops and breweries wherever I go.

2) I homebrew whatever I like. The farther from fizzy yellow beer the better. Getting homebrew ingredients in Spain is another story, but don't get me started...

If you can't do #1, you could do #2. It's easier than you think.

Good luck!
    luwak likes this.
  6. polisanl

polisanl Savant (260) Florida Aug 6, 2010

Soooo what your saying is this attractive chemist brews beer, drinks craft, hunts, fishes and rides motorcycles??

Woah.

I'm pretty sure your "beer isolation" will come to an end in the very near future...
    luwak likes this.
  7. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

OMG mamagoose. I'm also a scientist (neuropharmacologist who works with tons of rad tracers) :D How flipping awesome. Another female scientist on this board. (does a little nerd dance and then takes the last slurp of a porter)
    luwak likes this.
  8. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Haha, thanks guys, I try to stay well-rounded. Add watercolor painting and riding/training horses to my list of extra-curriculars. I never have time for all the fun things I love, lol. And I absolutely embrace my science nerd persona.

I went to our one and only local brewery last night, and they had a new seasonal on tap. It was like Christmas all over again. It's the "Deer Abbey," a Belgian dubbel. Quite tasty. I've actually had it before, but it's nice to have a different option every few months. Our brewery is quite solid, and they have several good beers. They just get old after awhile.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm curious as to what Brewers/beers you're getting in Sheridan. In Casper, we get quite a few of the limited and kind of limited brews from Alaskan, Deschutes, and Odell.
  10. Very, I live in the land of no beer, Mississippi. It is getting a little better since we got the alcohol cap raised last year but it's very slow. Beer is not allowed to be mailed to MS but a few on-line sites will ship here. I do get a few packages labeled snow globes or yeast samples from friends from out of state though.
    joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  11. HumanParaquat

HumanParaquat Savant (385) Indiana Jun 23, 2011

Stock up on some Abyss to use as trade bait if you can resist drinking it
    ewright likes this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I see from Black Tooth's website that a Baltic Porter and a Saison are coming soon. I think that is cool!
  13. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

With the amount of people who travel to hunt out your way I'd say setting up IP trades might be doable for shelf beers from whever they hail from. Just get growlers/bottles of the good beers available to you and let them cellar (if apporpriate of course). Then pay attention to your regional forum and maybe propose trades or look for others travelling towards you to set up the trades. If you have any local made jerkies and such I'm that would sweeten the deal quite nicely. Good luck :)
  14. Wyoming has internet?
    pjs234 and franklinn like this.
  15. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Chicago is a blast and beer heaven, but her setup (minus the beer options) sounds pretty damned amazing.
  16. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I'd take country livin' with crappy beer over having to live in Chicago ANY DAY
  17. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'd say move to WI to have the best of both worlds, but we're filling up on IL transplants.
  18. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I'm pretty satisfied with my best of both worlds situation in Northern VT ;)

WI does seem pretty cool, though!
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm fortunate enough to own a bar, so I've been able to try and change my local beer culture, but living in the U. P. of Michigan isn't exactly craft beer heaven...
  20. KalH

KalH Savant (250) North Carolina Sep 22, 2009

I live in the easternmost city of the US and being over 2 hrs away from the nearest city, beer store or brewery is definitely difficult! I feel the OP pain as it takes going through many backroads just to get to a decently paved highway. Thankfully though, Maine has started receiving some new distribution that has allowed Goose Island and Cantillon (among others) into the state. Moving to NC this spring so I wont be too far behind for much longer!
  21. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

So if my wife is visiting Ottowa and Montreal, she's not going to have any luck finding Cantillon for me?
  22. No, I'm afraid she will not.
    Tell her to keep an eye out for Le Trou du Diable while in PQ.
    Really excellent stuff, hard to come by, but amazing beers.
    franklinn likes this.

23. Sagres is just a little bit better than the average BMC, which for the purpose, is still bad.
  24. At no point was it pulled from Alberta.
    www.liquorconnect.com
  25. Neither does super bock
  26. jfh

jfh Aficionado (190) California Apr 25, 2008

>lucky to have them. Black Tooth's IPA holds a place close to my heart and Clear Creek has my favorite chili beer (a >porter) that I've ever tried. But, I want more! All the local bars carry the mass produced beers, a few of the local

If you're interested in trading, I can easily buy some local Rubicon, Auburn Ale house, Knee Deep, Ruhstaller, Heretic, Sometimes, Track 7 (nor cal) beers and trade for your locals. growlers (Track 7, Berryessa). Send me a BM.