1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is beer special to you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sneers, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Now, now, I know the question seems to have an all-too-obvious answer. What I mean is this:

By virtue of being on this site, I would almost be conservative to say that we all love good beer. What I'm curious about, however, is how beer figures into a more general love for things that are delicious. Taken this way, do you find good beer to be, in some respect, outstanding compared to most other things you like ingesting? Or is your enthusiasm towards good beer part of a broader gastronomic attitude, wherein good beer is just another slice in the pie?
    SageO likes this.
  2. For me it started out as the former and is slowly moving towards the latter.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. Beer, glassware and empanadas baby!
  4. This is going to sound weird but beer basically replaced some of my old hobbies. What I mean is, I used to collect cds and dvds but after a while I decided it wasn't something I wanted to continue doing anymore. I had to find something else to do with my disposible income and buying craft beer has basically replaced that. It wasnt some snap decision it happend organically.
  5. BJasny

BJasny Savant (375) Texas Jul 10, 2011

This. As well as the fact that I'm trying to be healthier in what I put in my body in general, and so I decided that beer would be the majority of the unhealthiness I put in my body.
  6. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I mean I like good food and enjoy a well made cocktail, but I'm not calling 6 different stores around town to find that new limited release sausage.

So beer is, as far as things I ingest or imbibe, the only thing I'm truly passionate about. I'm not a member of BourbonAdvocate and don't sit and read about the different styles of ham.
  7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

another slice in the pie.

I'd give up alcohol before I gave up coffee, if I had to
  8. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Craft beer kinda fulfills my need to collect things while still allowing me to enjoy it. In my mouth.
  9. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I love beer. Im a foodie, always wanting to try new restaurants. Man, but beer... This beer right here man, this beer right here!!!.. Seriously though. I love trying different beers, I have my local favorites but tickers gotta tick. I don't discriminate either, love me all kinds of beers, dark ones, light ones, light body ones, heavy body.. you name it, I likey.
  10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Good beer > Good food
  11. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

Lord I pray that is a Kat Williams reference, hahaaaa... thank you.
  12. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

It is. Lol
    quetzal013, davey101 and Charlie_Hoss like this.
  13. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Beer isn't special to me, but I actively try to incorporate it into special moments, like a ménage à trois.
  14. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

For me and my wife beer is more of a lifestyle than just a drink, especially since she isn't hard core beer drinker. But, she does love vacations that takes us to beer oriented areas like Germany, Belgium and Maine. She loves putting on our Oktoberfest with homebrewers from around the country showing up. Snd sh'e really loved meeting people I've met through beer related forums. So yes beer is very special to us, mostly because it's a beverage that brings people together, even if it's just the BMC that some of our friends prefer.
    Homebrewing has also given me the understanding and impetus that I needed to also make jerky, sausages, vinegar, roast my own coffee, etc.
    Giovannilucano, TongoRad and kemoarps like this.
  15. exactly how i felt and happy it happened in a beer version where i can enjoy it much more!
  16. I got into good beer from a search for good ingredients for food, I was on the search for the perfect beer for a beer batter. Well why not coors you change the flavor of the beer anyway? Well I thought coors didnt have enough flavor so I went on a quest to try whatever I could not knowing the first thing about craft beer. Through my travels I found out that Pauliner makes the best beer batter for chicken and fish and Alaskan amber makes a great beer batter for beef. That being said I have developed a passion for great tasting beers and it has become more of a hobbie, from searching out new spots, trying new beer to homebrewing and now groing my own hops. Beer has become an enjoyment that adds to my life.
  17. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Basically this. I love me a good bourbon and well made food dish, but beer is the only real culinary item that I will hardcore nerd out over.

I am a member of bourbonenthusiast.com though...
  18. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Considering your username I'm shocked, shocked at this admission!
  19. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Beer was definitely my opening into the “foodie” world – before beer I didn’t really care about how I tasted food, but once I started paying attention to the taste of beer I started paying attention to the taste of everything else. So to answer your question, beer is definitely special to me – it opened up a whole world of friends and tastings to me.
  20. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Beer is verry special to me.every thing I do I think about beer
    any store I go to I have to check out the beer isle to see if there is any thing new or I wana try.
    If I go out of town I research there beer stores so I can stop by and get something local or what I can't get at home
    I even call restaraunts to see what beer they serve before I go if its not what I like then I won't go
    So yah. Beer is special to me
    beerepiphany likes this.
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Back in the '80s when I was in high school, my mom used to go on about "quality of life." It was revelation for her.
    And somehow she convinced me that good food, good beer, good literature, good films, etc. really matter.
    Of course these days we are spoiled for choice on all fronts, while some other things seem to be eroding.
    Bottom line, I love good food, beer, wine, film, music, books, art, travel, and so on. I'm interested in anything that enriches my experience on this mortal journey.
    Onenote81, bnuno, smutty33 and 6 others like this.
  22. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I love great food but I love beer more. Because I don't want to gain weight from drinking a 6 pack+ a day I have reduced the amount and types of food I eat. First, Monday thru Friday I only eat once a day, at dinner. Second, I have eliminated all junk food, fast and soda and have stopped eating any processed foods that have corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated oils, preservatives, etc.. Third, during the week I really watch the starchy carbs and I only eat sweets once a week, after Sunday dinner.

The result of all this is I actually enjoy food more and it is a real treat for me. I have lost 70 lbs in the past year, don't exercise and drank beer every single day during that time.

So, I love Steak, Lasagna, Enchiladas, Indian Food, Pizza, Wings, etc.

but I restrict my eating so I can drink as much as I want.
  23. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Actually, I probably place it on an equal level with other culinary delights
  24. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Beer is on par with food, though I enjoy great beer more often than great food.

I start thinking about what I'm going to make for Saturday night dinner on Sunday morning. And I start thinking about the next 6-pack I want to buy right after I've finished the first beer of the 6-pack I just bought.
  25. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

I sleep naked with empty bottles so yea :)
    dertyd and smutty33 like this.
  26. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I think I love this!

Carpe Diem, homie!
  27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Drinking good beer got me interested in changing my diet and basically my entire lifestyle. I don't know if I eat "top quality" food, but I am certainly more aware of the food I am eating, which I take as a positive sign. Actually, beer in general helped me become a "real" adult. Thanks beer!
  28. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Part of the landscape but not the dominant feature. I would give up beer before giving up other things if the choice had to be made. Beer is an enjoyable, affordable enhancement.
    Providence and teal like this.
  29. This. I used to be way into music and movies, but beer has almost completely replaced them in terms of hobbies. It's not a bad thing, it just fits my current 50+ hour weeks as a graduate student better than time consuming activities like playing music and watching movies.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  30. It's a very passionate hobby. I guess part of it is the thrill of the hunt in constantly buying beers both hard and easy to obtain regardless of price I haven't tried yet then examining everything you look at in a beer. The fact beer has alcohol in it is never a factor, I absolutely love and get giddy whenever I get to try a new beer or a beer that I've had before that I love. Hell, I even get excited for beer tastings at local bottle shops I haven't tried before. I know when I start making my own I'm going to have even more fun.
  31. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

It's a slice of the consumable pie enjoy, but it's a BIG slice.
  32. Actually, I'd like to jump in and take that one, Jimmy, If you don't mind.

Allow me to respond in concordance with the proposed vernacular. If we presume, by virtue of being on this site, that the love of beer is generally implied, we could thus empirically conclude that an incorporation of said love across a spectrum of gastronomic mediums would insinuate a paralleled participation in analogous web communities. There is insufficient evidence to determine the level of participation by respective individuals across multiple gastronomic communities, though it could be inferred that the individual average is much lower than a complete adherence across several mediums. As a corollary, inferred participation into a specific community could be construed, on average, as an aggrandized appreciation for that particular subject in relation to affiliated gastronomic disciplines.

What happened, I blacked out?
    Hermthegerm and TheBeerDad like this.
  33. Music
    Film
    Beer
    Literature

These are all things that are special to me, things that I "intellectually collect," if you will.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  34. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I use to like beer.
  35. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm absolutely a foodie, and I enjoy trying new food when I travel, ethnic foods, making my own delicious food, sharing food with friends, and I'll read the occasional article on new restaurants, cooking techniques, or food blogs or whatever else. BUT, I absolutely don't care about food in the same way I care about beer. Eating is something I have to do to survive, so I make it as enjoyable as possible for myself. But I can be just as happy with Dominos delivery or a sketchy Chinese buffet or anything else. Beer is a luxury, not a necessity. It's a passion that I partake in because I love it and I'm interested in learning about it.

So food is my only comparable level of interest, but it's still different. I can enjoy a good gin and tonic, but beyond that, cocktails and liquor doesn't interest me. Franzia Chillable Red box-o-wine tastes as good as any wine I've ever tried.
  36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

sigh. I actually will occassionally drive around searching for a particular ingredient. Beer figures perfectly into my foodie-ness... which has been in full force since I was 13. Love different cuisines, taught myself how to cook several of them like a native... Faiway supermarket and the internet feed my ingredient addictions. But beer is something I definitely look forward to nightly :-D Only a good sangria would pull me away.
  37. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Beer is an interest and hobby. I home brewed before I started paying attention to craft beer offering.

Reality is - it's a hobby that I have and cultivate when I can't be with the things that are very special to me. My son and girlfriend. Tho those 3 things do overlap as my son loves to home brew and my girlfriend went from being strictly a rail vodka/cranberry juice drinker to "there's no beer dark enough" with Dragon's Milk being her current affliction.
  38. But...uh...
    ...I have no rebuttal.
    That was perfect.
    TheBeerAlmanac and TheBeerDad like this.
  39. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Mine was the same, like a snowball rolling down a hill gaining speed and size. Enjoying beer turned into brewing turned into competing in competitions turned into cellaring turned into sitting on my computer at 11 a.m. on the dot to buy festival tickets etc...
  40. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

The only thing better than great beer to me is great sex. Does that answer your question?:D