1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

is black note still available at bell's?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Levitation, Jan 14, 2013.

1. it's a 24 bottle limit, and it was posted in another thread (now gone) that there are 5000 cases. can anyone confirm the case count? it seems like a lot of bottles (120,000 - about 10x as much as beatification, for example).

i'm sure people will be lining up to goandpickitupformebro. ba's are very generous. right?
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Knew what this was before even clicking the thread. Leaving satisfied.
  3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Your trawling motor is in excellent shape.
    tjensen3618 and franklinn like this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

They've now moved the remaining supply to the first rest area in Michigan, East of the Indiana boarder...they just wanted to make it easier for the friendly Illini to get at...You have to put your $23 into the coke machine, smack Sprite once, Dr. Pepper once, and Diet Coke twice. Out comes the 'Note.
  5. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

IIRC, the 5000 case number was posted by a known meth-head, so take that for what it's worth. If I'm mistaken, I do apologize.
  6. It's good to see craft beer crossing over to the meth addict main stream. Probably In Bev's doing.
    GrumpyOldTroll, davey101 and cfh64 like this.
  7. Party's over ... All the cool BA's have moved on to the next release! This post is sooo fucking last Monday.
    davey101 and BAstoutsNsours like this.
  8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

No, we haven't.
    claaark13 and TheMonk41 like this.
  9. Just showed up on shelves here. We don't even get Bell's in MA…so weird.
    AlexFields likes this.
  10. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

So you're saying that number is probably correct? Last time I checked, meth heads were really fucking good with numbers.
    cfh64 likes this.
  11. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

He probably is right that there are zeroes in it.
    oregone likes this.
  12. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Should it be ba's or bas or BAs? (Honest question)
  13. it should be BAs, but i'm too lazy to capitalize, so it'll be bas, which looks like i'm typing mr. rutten's first name, so i add an extraneous apostrophe to convey my idea better.

basically, since i type like a lazy idiot, i have to compound my mistakes.
  14. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

I hope you're correct and it is really 100,000 bottles+ but that sounds awfully high. With Chicago stores declining orders due to small allocations I'm inclined to believe it's more along the lines of a Cherry Rye. Maybe there's a ton of it at the General Store, or maybe Chicago was offered a very small piece of the pie.
  15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

can't find the video where he tells the nightclub bathroom fight. This will have to suffice:

Also, I'm willing to goandpickitupforyoubro. Or were you not actually interested in getting any and just making a point?
  16. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

If Deschutes can do 100,000 22oz The Abyss.....Bell's can do 100,000 12oz Black Note.
  17. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Isn't Abyss only partially barrel-aged though?
  18. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

Da leever!!!
  19. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yes. Also, didn't they make way less of it this year? Normally the stuff flows like water, I didn't see a single bottle this year.
  20. 33% BA doe
  21. stxSS07

That I don't know. I do know that I love it, and not having it in IL until the next release makes me sad.
  22. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I know we haven't seen it in TX yet (supposedly at the end of the month) but it's supposed to be much more limited than prior years. I've heard its because Deschutes has expanded their distribution so they're trying to "spread the wealth" but thats all hearsay.

I'm honestly not a big fan, I try to get it for regular trading partners.
    huadog likes this.
  23. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Yes and since bottle count is an inverse ratio to cost, that makes each beatification worth $150 in black notes.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

You'll have to drown your sorrows in BCBS until then.
  25. stxSS07

That shelf slag? I only buy it for chili and ice-cream toppings.
    Fluke828, JohnB87, Jnorton00 and 3 others like this.
  26. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

So... Bell's should only be able to make 61,000 12oz Black Note is what you're saying?
  27. I hope thats enough to fulfill all the pretrades.
  28. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I felt like Levitation vintage 2010 was much better. It seems like the spice is dialed back in this year's release. It's a flabby mess, really. I'm tempted to stick it in my basement for a few years and see if it improves with age.

It makes perfect sense that a guy who will comb meticulously through people's post histories won't press the Shift key. Perfect sense.
  29. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

I could not LIKE this post more
    cosmicevan likes this.
  30. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

capitalization is for chumps. also, classic troll misdirection. helps stir the pot, and adds a nice lateral dimension when you're on the right end of an argument. stick in the irritating-typing jab, then the soul-crushing logic hook. it works. cf immediate RAGE words, like calling someone "breh" and seeming sincere. i find myself raging when someone consistently spells 'beer' as 'bier'. i actually trolled myself just thinking about it.
    Bluecane and Knifestyles like this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

You forgot to bemoan the self deprecation this year's model has shown occasionally.
    Levitation and Gosox8787 like this.
  32. I have been told by a Bell's rep that Black Note is only partially barrel aged (barrel aged Expedition blended with fresh Double Cream), but doing a quick search it does not look like this is true. Either way, the mouthfeel is far too thin for it to be considered in the top echelon of Imperial Stouts in my opinion. It's decent, but I believe I reviewed it around a 3.75.
  33. So much awesomeness in that video... Yes, I watched it twice.
  34. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

You always want a band to play their greatest hits....
  35. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Never forget Craytonic v. Levitation. It was the Bloods and Crips of a different time.
    Rempo, cavedave, MarkIntihar and 3 others like this.
  36. Is there a Baldo analog for the midwest to pick up black note for me or do I just ship all my Kopi Luwak Speedway away for offshelf 100k+ bottle releases?

I have a 2011 join date, some help me out please.
    libbey, Rempo, ShogoKawada and 12 others like this.
  37. Do you have any Churchill's or Cable Car?
  38. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I have a bunch of Big Animal, Small Machine to extra out to new west coasters, you want?
    SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  39. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

You mean Small Animal, Big Explosion? Boy, am I glad I muled 3+ cases of Beatification at cost. I'll send you my address.
  40. so was there ever a consensus on how much of this was released?
    Levitation likes this.