1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Is Bottled Water Steril?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Member

The title says it all, is bottled water, Arrowhead, sterile?
  2. loony4lambic

loony4lambic Member

in a way yes, But a good rule to live by with homebrewing is ALWAYS boil your water, one way or the other
  3. htomsirveaux

htomsirveaux Member

No, it isn't.

Edit:
    Speaking of Arrowhead or any other typical bottled water you'd find at the grocery.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

NO. If you want it sterile, autoclave it.
  5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Member

I guess for more information, I need to make a second step for my starter. My plan was to boil up my starter wort tonight, put it into a boiled quart jar, seal, cool over night, then pitch into my flask in the morning. Problem is I only have 1 quart jar but need 2L of starter wort. Then my thought was do everything into 1 qt @ 1.080 strength, then dilute with bottled water. If bottled water is full of contaminants then I will be infecting my starter, but if it is "sterile" then I should be able to do this. No time to wait for wort to coll tonight before bed, no time in morning to mix, boil, chill, pitch.
  6. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

Go buy a 3 liter of Faygo. Drink it or dump it. It's a buck.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Member

Can you pour boiling hot wort into a 2L PET bottle, cap, and refrigerate?
  8. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

Nope, but you should have a saucepan with a lid that you're using to boil your wort. Throw that into an ice bath in your sink. It takes 30-45 min.
  9. nozferatu46

nozferatu46 Member

I've topped off regularly with bottled water for years. No issues from it.

I wouldn't say bottled water is sterile... but its about as low risk of infection as you'll get.
    GreenKrusty101, JrGtr and kjyost like this.
  10. geezerpk

geezerpk Member

I think many equate "sterile" with "sanitized," they just aren't the sane thing. Sanitary is generally good enough for brewing I suspect. Does anyone really think commercial brewing operations produce beer under operating room-like conditions?
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Wow, I use tap water post boil all the time and have never had issues with infections. I guess my water treatment plant does a fine job.
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Sterile? No
    Sanitary? Probably.
    Would I boil anyway? Yep.
    billandsuz, ericj551 and jbakajust1 like this.
  13. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

You can probably thank the chloramines that they use. I don't condone for 8 gal of brew water, but you proably don't have issues if it's a quart here or there.
  14. mattsander

mattsander Member

Definitely not sterile, probably (Sanitary) fine to use though.
  15. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Member

Same results here. I use it to top off regularly and never had a problem.
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  16. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

Starters...especially step up/dregs are a little different than anything else, but the cholera in the bottled water shouldn't be a problem : )

I have used bottled water instead of boiled for rehydrating all my dry yeast over the last several years and have had absolutely no problems
  17. MRsojourner

MRsojourner Member

I echo this. never had a problem using it
  18. kscaldef

kscaldef Member

I go with distilled water for top ups. 20c more per gallon seems reasonable for more peace of mind
  19. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

Distilled water usually is bottled.
  20. kscaldef

kscaldef Member

Yes, but the process of distillation should sanitize it. As opposed to many other bottled waters which are essentially the tap water of the bottling plant.
  21. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

Tap water that has the chlorine removed and probably been uv sanitized for packaging...just like the distilled.