1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Bottled Water Steril?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

The title says it all, is bottled water, Arrowhead, sterile?

2. in a way yes, But a good rule to live by with homebrewing is ALWAYS boil your water, one way or the other

3. htomsirveaux

htomsirveaux Advocate (550) Texas Feb 8, 2002

No, it isn't.

Edit:
    Speaking of Arrowhead or any other typical bottled water you'd find at the grocery.

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

NO. If you want it sterile, autoclave it.

5. jbakajust1

I guess for more information, I need to make a second step for my starter. My plan was to boil up my starter wort tonight, put it into a boiled quart jar, seal, cool over night, then pitch into my flask in the morning. Problem is I only have 1 quart jar but need 2L of starter wort. Then my thought was do everything into 1 qt @ 1.080 strength, then dilute with bottled water. If bottled water is full of contaminants then I will be infecting my starter, but if it is "sterile" then I should be able to do this. No time to wait for wort to coll tonight before bed, no time in morning to mix, boil, chill, pitch.

6. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Go buy a 3 liter of Faygo. Drink it or dump it. It's a buck.

7. jbakajust1

Can you pour boiling hot wort into a 2L PET bottle, cap, and refrigerate?

8. inchrisin

Nope, but you should have a saucepan with a lid that you're using to boil your wort. Throw that into an ice bath in your sink. It takes 30-45 min.

9. I've topped off regularly with bottled water for years. No issues from it.

I wouldn't say bottled water is sterile... but its about as low risk of infection as you'll get.

GreenKrusty101, JrGtr and kjyost like this.
  10. I think many equate "sterile" with "sanitized," they just aren't the sane thing. Sanitary is generally good enough for brewing I suspect. Does anyone really think commercial brewing operations produce beer under operating room-like conditions?

11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Wow, I use tap water post boil all the time and have never had issues with infections. I guess my water treatment plant does a fine job.

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Sterile? No
    Sanitary? Probably.
    Would I boil anyway? Yep.

billandsuz, ericj551 and jbakajust1 like this.
  13. inchrisin

You can probably thank the chloramines that they use. I don't condone for 8 gal of brew water, but you proably don't have issues if it's a quart here or there.

14. Definitely not sterile, probably (Sanitary) fine to use though.

15. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

Same results here. I use it to top off regularly and never had a problem.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  16. Starters...especially step up/dregs are a little different than anything else, but the cholera in the bottled water shouldn't be a problem : )

I have used bottled water instead of boiled for rehydrating all my dry yeast over the last several years and have had absolutely no problems

17. I echo this. never had a problem using it

18. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I go with distilled water for top ups. 20c more per gallon seems reasonable for more peace of mind

19. Distilled water usually is bottled.

20. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Yes, but the process of distillation should sanitize it. As opposed to many other bottled waters which are essentially the tap water of the bottling plant.

21. Tap water that has the chlorine removed and probably been uv sanitized for packaging...just like the distilled.