Is Brewmeister Armageddon really 65%?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by agileh, Feb 5, 2013.

1. agileh

agileh Zealot (95) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

A group of my friends chipped in for some Brewmeister Armageddon, the supposed strongest beer in the world. None of us thought that the beer tasted it like it was that strong. Has anyone else tasted it and had the same experience? Has anyone tested the alcohol level on this beer?

2. If you have any left try to set a couple drops on fire.

19etz55 and ChanChan like this.
  3. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Knock, knock?

4. agileh

We did try to set it on fire and didn't have any luck.

5. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

I was able to set fire to a small spoon full of my sink the bismark. I believe white labs has a thing (amied more towards homebrewers) where you send in a sample of your beer and they analyze it and give you the ABV. It'd be neat if someone would sacrifice some of their Armageddon so we could find the truth because everyone seems to think the same on this.

6. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Assuming the bottle I ordered EVER gets here, and assuming the testing isn't too expensive, I'll do it...for science...

7. Someone on the other site claims to have tested it in a lab & that it is 15-20 %. Also people saying that they tried to put it on fire & it didn't work which should with a 65 % also taste etc.
    Someone should test it for science.

8. It's a lame stunt whether it's really 65% or not.

JohnnyMc and herrburgess like this.
  9. Who's there?

I'm surprised at all this talk of labs...none of you know a good ol boy with a proofer? :D

Centennial and loony4lambic like this.
  10. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Fuck off. (I hope you get this reference; I'm not being a dick.)

11. Haha I'm with ya man :D

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  12. Not a real beer. They simply froze the water out of it. Samuel Adams Utopias will be the strongest beers in my book as long as theyre brewed in the traditional style.

13. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (710) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I'd have to say that if freezing a beer isn't real beer than Eisbocks shouldn't be either... Just saying, it's the same process right?

Etan, pixieskid, VncentLIFE and 2 others like this.
  14. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

It would be pretty scummy if their entire ploy was really to market their product as the world's strongest beer, knowing all the while that the actual ABV was significantly lower. I can't believe that would be the case because I can't believe any brewer would be dumb enough to think nobody would find out the truth. Not sure what Scottish false advertising laws look like, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good to get caught lying about something like that.

15. The Trade Descriptions Act 1968

The Trade Descriptions Act makes it an offence for a trader to make false or misleading statements about goods or services. It carries criminal penalties and is enforced by Trading Standards Officers, making it an offence for a trader to:
    • apply a false trade description to any goods
    • supply or offer to supply any goods to which a false trade description has been applied
    • make certain kinds of false statement about the provision of any services, facilities or accommodation

Centennial likes this.
  16. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

How does one acquire this and how much is it? I went to the website and there didn't seem to be a place to order it from.

17. DosMaster

DosMaster Aspirant (40) Sweden Jul 7, 2012

pweis909 and Centennial like this.
  18. agileh

Thanks for posting that. I used Google Translate. It seems like a refund should be given. My friends and I all felt disappointed by this beer. I'd recommend that people save their money and wait for the next big thing. This big thing is a dud.

Beerandraiderfan and JohnnyMc like this.
  19. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

20. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

If the article is true then I feel very cheated. That sucks. I still have yet to open my bottle.

21. Sounds to me like Brewdog may have just pulled off their best gimmick to date!

stayclean likes this.
  22. DosMaster

DosMaster Aspirant (40) Sweden Jul 7, 2012

Brewdog?

23. Brewdog!

24. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

One comment on the translated page has a good question, how are they able to sell it if the ABV is not correct?
    Aren't they required by law to mention some basic information on the label, like ABV and ingredients? I suppose there is, so there should be a commitee or something that decides if the product is safe for circulation, after they have the lab results in their hands, so this beer should have been checked.
    And another question, if it's let's say 20%, can they afford to pay taxes for an alcoholic drink of 65%, considering this is a novelty beer and not so widely available (=less amount of beer sold)

25. jmgrub

Gracias! Lying about the physical properties of your product seems like it would qualify. Ready the torches and pitchforks! Rally the posse (pending an ABV test of course)!

26. Anyone interested in checking this beer or any other solution for alcohol content can get a hydrometer like this one for around ten bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proof-and-T...531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d09503a43

Or you could probably pour some in a clear jar and proof it by bead size like shine

But really, if it doesn't burn then it's under 50% so you can quickly establish if the listed ABV is correct. If it burned, you could tell rough ABV by the flame color. Also, you can probably tell by checking boiling temperature but I don't know the specifics there... Any of these ways you're wasting some beer, but they'd probably be cheaper, faster and more fun then sending a sample to a lab.

27. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Sounds like something a drunk Lahey would do with some rye

jglowe77, DSlim71, jophish17 and 2 others like this.
  28. I don't think that hydrometer is going to help in this case. It's for distilled spirits, and since this beer is freeze distilled, it retains all the sugars as well as the alcohol, throwing off the reading.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  29. You sir, are correct.

30. Ok so it's advertised as 65% so that really mean's it's 32.5% ABV still not high enough to actually catch a flame.

Regardless if it really is only 15-20% I guess they made the worlds strongest malt liquor (and most expensive)

31. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Seriously agree with knapp85, gcamparone you should think before you post.

Knapp85 and RobertColianni like this.
  32. had this at a tasting, and we all agreed that our other beers (10-15%) tasted boozier than Armageddon. No way it's 65% or even close.

33. Now that I think about it I believe you're right. I figured it was basically a spirit but didn't think about the sugars still present. Still seems like there should be some DIY methods of getting a read on its approximate 'proof'.

What do you mean by that? The part about it only being 33%?

34. Not totally on topic but we popped a bottle of Black Tuesday with some friends from work this weekend while we cooked out. We all found it too sugary and no one really wanted to drink it. Anyway we were standing around a charcoal grill and I spit a little on it and it definitely flamed up, actually really surprising all of us. At least it was good for something.

Rhettroactive likes this.
  35. Not only do I think, I make sure I'm right. Maybe you should read this?

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/501

And for the record, eisbocks are brewed like that to enhance flavor. Armageddon and beers like that are brewed to set records and for the sake of being extreme. Totally different.

36. Huh?

Also, to reply to gcamperone:
    "Not a real beer. They simply froze the water out of it. Samuel Adams Utopias will be the strongest beers in my book as long as theyre brewed in the traditional style."

So, you're saying that the greatest white whale of them all is not a real beer? That should help my chances of landing one then I guess;)

Lots of silly stuff in this thread. I find it a little hard to believe that anyone trying to market a beer as "the strongest beer in the world" wouldn't think that someone might actually test their claim....but hey, stranger things have happened.

37. jmgrub

With all due respect (which is very little in these forums), you are sourcing your info from a 2003 document. Some things that have happened since the article you cite include: 3 Summer Olympics, 2 Winter Olympics, 2 Presidents, Sink the Bismarck, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, Struise Double Black and M.E.S.S.Y. The only beer from the article you cite that would even be in the "World's Strongest Beer" conversation today would be Utopias.

38. Did you try dousing gunpowder in it and then seeing if it would ignite? That's the traditional way of "proving" the alcoholic content is at least 57.15% (the origin of the term "proof", with respect to alcohol level).

39. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I know anything 43.5%+ abv will light. Pretty f'ed up to blatantly lie like that. There's not even a "theoretical" excuse like in the case of IBUs.

40. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

And, shit, one of the beers on that old list is itself an eisbock...

Centennial likes this.