1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Brewmeister Armageddon really 65%?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by agileh, Feb 5, 2013.

1. It seems he was thinking proof though he wrote %
    RobertColianni likes this.
  2. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Just out of curiosity, Why in the hell would you want to drink a beer that is that high? Could you not just open a bottle of Hopslam and then add pure grain or a Stone RIS and add some vodka or a Bourbon County and add some 151.
  3. Wouldn't you add Bourbon to BCBS in this scenario? I would say just pour both a nice bourbon and a BCBS and drink accordingly.
  4. A hydrometer would more than likely give you an accurate number. I know that you could also add a little water, like a 25% addition, and either be satisfied with the results being 25% off or multiply the difference to gain that difference back. If I purchased a bottle back when it was $67.xx shipped, I'd do it for y'all, but when the price went up I vowed against purchasing this shit.

Do we have a dunce hat for this guy? Dude just posted an article as a cited resource that literally says nothing agreeing with his point...and it lists an Eisbock.
    You realize that this is a beer site, right? Making asinine statements and ignoring reality and documented history doesn't fly. We know beer here, unlike your friends.
  5. No joke: Buy a sixer of Pabst and mix three shots of some cheap whiskey in to each pounder. I don't understand why, but the flavors negate each other. Tastes like water, but you're trashed at the end... Classy, huh?
  6. Shagator

151 is bourbon. Its Wild Turkey Bourbon
  7. 151 usually refers to Bacardi 151 which is Rum. I believe wild Turkey tops out at 101, my bottle of 2006 BTAC Thomas Handy is 133.6% and is cask strength.
    Cvescalante likes this.
  8. Stop using the percentage symbol for proof references for Christ sake!
    cubbyswans, Cvescalante and JohnB87 like this.
  9. My bad on that one lol didn't I just say that about someone else. Yes 133.6 proof and as cask obviously stronger than Wild Turkey 101.
  10. Shagator

I know that Barardi is 151, but I have see Wild Turkey at 151 as well. may have been a limited batch here in KY or I imagined it. My bad, but anyways, i could think of many other ways to spend that amount of money than on a high ABV beer.
  11. I agree completely with the last part, a lot of good beer could be consumed for the cost of Armageddon.
  12. Fuck beer. Get a bottle of 10yr and 15yr Pappy Van Winkle.They're rated higher than 20yr and 23yr, over 50% cheaper, and will only get better once decanted.
    Tchfunkta and MattXT like this.
  13. I love my beer man and I should buy a PVW though I drink the Bourbon sparingly.
  14. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Hold your fucking horses... this novelty, shit-ass beer USED to cost $67 and was a decent deal compared to the price now? Am I crazy for wondering why multiple people in this thread have tried this?
    I could get hammered on any random Saturday and freeze-distill my urine that could be comparable. Of course, a lab result would have to prove it before I could claim that I had the highest ABV urine in the world.
  15. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

...I'm a ticker. Sorry. I couldn't help myself...
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  16. There was a thread about this a few years back, on the old BA forum, during the time when Brewdog and Schorschbräu were battling for beer douche dominance, and someone cited a German study conducted on "extreme" beers, where they tested actual ABV versus the theoretical ABV cited on the label. It was surprising how large the margin of error was. If I recall, Dogfish Head and Sam Adams extreme beers (120, WWS, Utopias) were the closest, with most of them showing actual ABVs within 2-3% of what was cited, but some of the freeze-distilled stuff was off by 10-15% or more. I can't seem to find the study right now, but if I stumble across it, I'll post it here.

In regards to legality, there is an accepted level of variability in terms of alcohol content for most products. At the end of the day, fermentation is a natural process and won't behave identically every time. That being said, I have no idea what amount of variability is tolerated, or what sort of penalties their are for mislabeling. Doesn't Dogfish Head World Wide Stout not even have an ABV listed on the bottle?
  17. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I could volunteer to get an accurate ABV measurement for anyone (as I work at a distillery with testing equipment in the lab across the hall from my office) but I think we all get the idea. Its schtick.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

65% ABV is around 33 proof, that won't burn, I'm thinking it has to be around 50% alcohol before you can set a match to it.
  19. In the US (granted, not applicable for the beer mentioned in the OP) the tolerance is:

Listing ABV on beer labels in the US remains voluntary on a Federal level ("Alcoholic content and the percentage and quantity of the original gravity or extract may be stated on a label unless prohibited by State law." --- same link as above), and is still prohibited in some states. As a result some brewers choose not to list it so they don't need different labels for some states they ship to.

DFH World Wide Stout, however, has varied in ABV and, IIRC, there was some controversy when it (or perhaps it was their 120 Minute Ale?) was exported to Canada, where the province (Ontario) test ABV and it was found to be lower than originally stated on the export label.

(Anyone got a link to that story? Couldn't find it after a quick Googlin').
  20. Yeah, that's completely wrong. It would be ~130 proof.
  21. 65% ABV would equal 130 proof. (Still time to edit/delete that ;)).
  22. Ugh...Reading through this thread and hard to follow with all the incorrect usage of ABV vs. proof. You double ABV to come up with proof. Something that is 65% ABV would be 130 proof. My head is hurting from all of this...could be the Sixpoint, Lagunitas, and whiskey I chased it down with last night as well :)
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Ah i got it backwards, thanks, no reason to edit it, you fixed it.
  24. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

We also produce 151 proof dark and white rums. ;)
  25. :eek:
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  26. For the novelty/experience/tick of course.
    TMoney2591 likes this.
  27. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

What?
  28. mishtif

mishtif Aficionado (195) Illinois Apr 17, 2012

i have a bottle sittin in my cellar, i want to drink it but at the same time i fell this should be reserved for a spcial occasion, or maybe ill just be pissed off one night and not have any whiskey, so here goes a bottle of 120 and then the armegeddon. If my hydrometer wasnt do big i'd see what the final gravity is but without know what the starting gravity is there is no way of tellin what the % is with out sending it out. Does any one know what "style " of beer this is?
  29. Search button on this site says Eisbock. Please use the Search function.

30. I have to agree with him. If you use freeze-distillation (or any sort of distillation for that matter), you're creating liquor. Otherwise, brandy would be considered wine, and whisky could be considered an unhopped ale.
  31. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I think beers like this and Sink the Bismarck are retarded. Are they even "beer?"
    gcamparone likes this.
  32. They probably got it up to 15 percent then added a shot of whisky and added that 50 proof up and BOOM 65%!
  33. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

If you freeze-distilled this thread to get rid of all the inaccuracies, I think we would be left with about 4 or 5 legitimate posts, and mine might not even make the cut...
  34. So it sounds like it's a load of crap. Has anyone left it open for a few days and seen if it's held up? That seems like a pretty easy way to tell if you're up for drinking some and saving some for a week later.
  35. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'd rather have a DuClaw Colossus. 22% and way better.
  36. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Not to be anal (which of course means I am), but the 10 yr is Old Rip Van Winkle. Pappy is only the 15, 20, and 23 year old varieties. They also make a 12 year old called Van Winkle Special Reserve, which is also well worth buying if you come across it.
    Tchfunkta and RobertColianni like this.
  37. It was 120 Minute. I can't find the source anymore, but the LCBO's lab results found it to be a fair bit lower. Somewhere in the 12-13% range.

I'll try and track down the source and post it tonight.

These ABV discrepancies are fairly common. A lot of breweries just calculate based on assumptions about extraction and conversion, so there can be variance fair bit of variance. The bigger the beer, the bigger the variance. Or so I'm told - a home or professional brewer would know better than I do.

A less extreme example, Jewbelation Sweet Sixteen being sold in Ontario is listed as being 15% ABV instead of 16%, because of the LCBO's stringent testing and labelling policies.

38. So Aventinus Eisbock isn't beer now?

39. Also, freeze "distillation" is just a name - it's not actually even a form of distillation.
  40. dhartogs

dhartogs Savant (350) Virginia Apr 29, 2010