1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Dark Lord really worth it?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raynmoon, May 2, 2012.

1. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

If I have to explain it to you , you wouldn't understand.................

2. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I don't understand people who are hating on the event. I had a blast - I got to try some of the greatest beers I've ever had and hang out with some of the coolest people I'll ever meet. I tried 6 different types of Bourbon County (Rare, '07. '08, '11, Coffee, Cherry) all because people wanted to share them. Not to mention the other incredible beers I was lucky enough to taste. And no, I didn't get black out drunk.

Sure, I waited in line for 20 minutes. But it was fun. I chatted with some people who were in front of me, then celebrated with them when they won a scratch off. We even shared a few beers while waiting. I could attend Dark Lord Day and be perfectly happy with never even purchasing Dark Lord. It's an ok beer, but the beer isn't why Dark Lord Day is so popular (regardless of what ebay leads you to believe).

SimonesRules, dlello2, timmx and 2 others like this.
  3. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

tickets are the only way to do it, the area is too populated, if they didn't have tickets then people would be camping outside floyd's for days before the release..allotments would be cut to 1 per person..And then the Ebay sales would really be insane with the "I camped out for 3 days to get this that's why I'm selling it for 300 dollars a bottle" and people would buy it because they would rather pay the price than go through all that nonsense.

At 15 bucks a bottle it is more than worth it! And DarkLord day is a great time for people who know what they are getting into and enjoy that sort of scene.

4. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

If I wasn't local I don't know that it would be worth it without folding it into a longer vacation. But you don't really have to show up hours in advance and wait in line. Maybe if you want to get into the brewpub, but I've been three times, haven't been into the pub (on DLD), and have had a blast each time. This year we drove down from Chicago on Saturday morning, parked at the hotel where we going to stay that night, sat in the lobby and cracked open a bunch of beers and did our own sharing in the warm, dry hotel instead of in line. Took the shuttle over around 1:30 and walked right in. Waiting in line prior to the event is an option for people who want to do so, but it's certainly not required.

5. bradner

bradner Savant (340) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Personal preference, but my answer is no.

6. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

This. I think DL is kind of crappy. This was my first DLD and I absolutely loved it. Will be back next year.

7. DoubleNickels

DoubleNickels Initiate (0) Michigan Apr 22, 2012

Welp...ticket prices just doubled for next year

8. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, is that in prior years, the ticket money had all been donated to a local charity. I think that may have changed this year (or last year) to pay for the cost of things like the better online ticket ordering system as well as the sanitation services for the event. Which trust me, its well worth it.

And yes, not just having tix are necessary for and event like this, but the grouping they implemented the past 2 years has done wonders. This year was by far my best ever.

As for DL the beer, it seems to have digressed a bit since the '09 vintage (however, I have not tried any '12 yet). I definitely prefer some other RIS's, but that doesn't mean its bad. Still one of my faves.

9. bradybeer

bradybeer Savant (455) California Aug 9, 2005

Dude I am chill-I agree drinking beer with friends in line is fun-however, all this does is create a circus for the brewers and others-think back BEFORE these types of events-and how much better it was for more folks to enjoy these beers, less hype, and far less ebay shennangins.

10. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

All of these things you list are much more a product of the growing popularity of craft beer more so than events like DLD. Unless you're contending that events like DLD have caused the growth in popularity of craft beer? I'm just not sure I follow you.

11. I'll piggyback on what has already been said:

- Yes, DL is a great beer. One that gets much, much better with age. At $15 a bottle I consider it a bargain.
    - Sure, part of the hype is the one-day only thing and that certainly puts the beer in a much higher demand than if it were available more readily. It's genius, really. Limited-release specialty beers get us beer geeks giddy...
    - This was my 3rd DLD and the event is really much more than getting your allotment and/or the BA versions. To me it's about the sharing, the overwhelming appreciation of craft brew and the atmosphere.

Thanks again, 3 Floyds! Nice job this year - can't wait until DLD 2013...

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  12. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

In years past (this was my third DLD) I'd say standing in line soley for the DL was the reason most attended this event. I remember back in 2010 when the lines were insane, line cutting was out of hand and FFF took a beating here on beer advocate in the days after the event for such... But this last DLD was far better organized, .. of course, there was still confusion to where the DL line started, but the ticket idea worked like a charm. Either you had a ticket to enter, or you didnt.. Once inside, there were several options for the beer enthusiast -- from tasting of guest taps to sharing your own brews with others, to listening to some insanely good metal bands, to waiting in line for your DL... I will gladly be back, if I can land tickets to next year's event, and if not so fortunate to score tickets online, next St. Patrick's Day, then I might think about going on Ebay to snare a ticket.. does the latter make me part of the problem, well, you have to realize beer geekery has come a long way since the first Dark Lord Day. It'll never be the same.

13. You called people who like hanging out at beer releases d-bags. That's hardly chill.

As others have noted, people camping out and waiting in long lines at beer releases does not create the "eBay shenanigans."

Beer release events do not have a negative impact on how many people get to enjoy the beer. If anything, it only helps put different beers in more peoples' hands, because of the bottle sharing that goes on.

What do you mean it creates a "circus for the brewers and others"?