1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

is darklord always as sweet when they release it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by StoutLover4life, Jan 7, 2013.

1. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

I had the 2012 and comparing it to the 08 is night and day. The 12 is waaaaay too sweet and had no roasted character at all. Is it just a matter of ageing and the sweetness will die down or is this just going to be bad forever? If so I am not looking forward to next years BA DL variants...

2. I have heard this same thing from many people.:(

3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'm really hoping the sweetness will fade...because I've had hot fudge with more nuance...my GF digs it though...so at least she'll enjoy it either way.

4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's 15%. More malt, more sugar, higher alcohol content. It's how it works.

GRG1313 likes this.
  5. Personally, Dark Lord is one of my favorite all-time beers. But with that said it's almost too sweet to be enjoyed fresh (even for me). I think that 4-6 months plus of aging does WONDERS for this beer. I've had a 2010 and 2011 recently and was very happy with the progress. Don't expect the sweetness to completely fade away though. The sugary sweetness will evolve over time and become more subdued but it will probably always have that characteristic to it.

If you can get a 2009-2011 vintage I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it.

6. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (550) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Maybe it's because so many people mention that it's cloying and overly sweet - when I had my bottle of relatively fresh bottle of DL (less than 6 months old), I didn't think it was any sweeter than say... BA Naked Evil, or J.W. Lee's Havest Ale... or even Elysian Great Pumpkin.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. I am hard pressed to imagine there is any beer with a 15% abv that doesn't taste very sweet. All that malt's gotta come our somewhere, no?

fujindemon74 likes this.
  8. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

I've never had a Dark Lord fresh that wasn't over the top sweet, aside from maybe '06. Of course, my tastes have probably changed since '06, and my memory is not what it used to be either.

I've had 15% beers(and higher) that are no where nearly as sweet as Dark Lord. 2012 was like candied raisins in sweet soy sauce syrup to me

redsand22 likes this.
  9. Haven't ever had DL, but thoroughly enjoy some BA Naked Evil & J.W. Lees Harvest Ale.

10. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Yep, unfortunately DL is always teeth chattering-ly sweet when fresh. Give it 1 or 2 years and it tastes great.

11. StoutLover4life

Have you ever home brewed? cause that's not how it works. Yeast convert almost any sugar into alcohol and CO2, except certain unfermentables and sugar substitutes like stevia. So at 15 percent they had either so many unfermentables (doubtful cause of the thickness and type of sweetness) or their yeast didn't ferment past 15% so they had an incomplete fermentation...

12. StoutLover4life

bourbon county, no where near as sweet. There are alot of yeast strains that can tolerate up to 19% like the kinds they use for black tuesday. I just think they had an incomplete fermentation this year and bottled it anyways instead of cancelling dld...

13. If you mash out at temperatures that are too high, you will have more of the unfermentable sugars left.

14. StoutLover4life

exactly so either they are mashing way too high (I would expect more off flavors though) or they are just adding way to much sugar. They might be even adding molasses and just straight sugar

15. I loved BCBS, but I definitely thought it was sweet. Sure it's not as sweet as some other big stouts, but it's definitely sweet. Of course, I do not have a sweet tooth, at all. So I may be more sensitive to sweet stuff.