1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is DB Huna for a BA Westbrook a comprable trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by 4thelvofbeer, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Thoughts....how comprable is the DB Huna BA Westbrook trade. Which carries more weight? equal? or one needing something extra to get it done?
  2. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Having had all beers in question, I think it's pretty equivelant. There were more than 3k of DB Huna, and 600 RW mexi cake, and less for JD and AB. Taste wise, they are on the same level, as well as $ wise. Can definitely see a DB Huna going 1:1 with RW and AB cake. JD cake may need to add on their side as it seems to be the least desirable. It's still very good though.
  3. I can pretty much guarantee that no one with an AB Mexican cake would trade it for a db huna. There were 7x more db huna and ab cake is amazing. I haven't had a db huna yet but I wouldn't trade my last ab cake for one.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  4. Bartos

Bartos Savant (490) Florida Mar 8, 2013

DB Huahpu is amazing. Never had Mexican Cake or any of the barrel aged, but I have had a lit of Huna and most the BA Hunas and the DB is by far the best.
    kpanter likes this.
  5. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

having had all 3 Mexican cakes, i would suggest going hard for the JD. AB was good but want not comparable to JD or AB huna for that matter. Also most people didn't like the red wine but my group ranked red wine over AB, as the wine, peppers and cinnamon played interestingly together.

admittedly i haven't had db huna but will when i get my 2 bottles in.
  6. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

Higher counts sure, but about same per person, 2 sets of cake per, 2 Huna bottles per. 1:1 is definitely not unheard of.
  7. nicks6217

8. FT AB Mexican cake ISO DB huna would be inbox explosion.

Other way around would be crickets.

Btw for those of you keeping track at home - drank a JD cake tonight. AB destroys it. I was shocked.
  9. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

I'd like to see it done rather than just listening to conjecture.
  10. You have to have them side by side. I thought double hunah was better than AB cake when I first had it, then I had them side by side and I laughed at myself. AB cake was better by a pretty large margin. With that said Double hunah is still an amazing beer

Also I know multiple people with 3-5 sets of BAMC here in South Carolina so I could defiantly see a 1:1 trade with double hunah happen with the right person
  11. nicks6217

think you misread, i haven't had my double barrel huna. i was comparing apple brandy huna to apple brandy Mexican cake.
  12. Ah, my bad. I agree with that statement :D

13. I had red wine and ab and was blown away by red wine. Thought it was a lot better. And something that I haven't seen folks talk about is the pretty obvious note on the side of the ba cakes that says to drink them fresh and they aren't made to cellar
    7clutch likes this.
  14. nicks6217

Glad to hear that my group were not the only one whom enjoyed the Red Wine treatment. I thought it was a fantastic take on the red wine treatment as I find most of them in stouts to be astringent and tart.
    cacostaj likes this.
  15. cacostaj

cacostaj Aficionado (245) Florida Feb 15, 2013

DB Huna is just not pulling those Cakes at the moment and not sure if it will. There's just not that many out there and people who have the set do not want to break it up. AB MC was one of the top 5 BA stouts i had last year along with Assassin, KBBS, MD and BA Abraxas. JD was pretty impressive as well and even RW was a very interesting and tasty brew. Was able to have a small sample of DB Huna recently in Tampa and i thought it was delicious but i will be impartial here and say AB MC is a superior beer IMO. Wonder how both the MCs and the DBH will age as i've had them both fresh
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014