1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Wow this is really bad. Tart,sour, some cherry, thin, and pretty foul to drink. Anyone else have this experience? This is not the night stalker I remember...
    Gotti311 and Fluke828 like this.
  2. Yes. I had one somewhat recently and thought there was some sourness/acidity to it. Unfortunately, I have never had a fresh one, so I wasn't sure how it compared. I did not think the one I had was very enjoyable in any way.
  3. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (370) Ohio May 13, 2008

I just had this a week ago and did not get anything like that from it. Tasted just like a non Bourbon version of BCBS. Smooth, balanced, and just a great beer.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I had two so far and they were both fine.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  5. Nah, pretty sure it's just crappy.

(and I love BCBS/BCBCS)
  6. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

The one that I've had was excellent. A little too hoppy for me right now, but that will mellow out. I would buy another three if I could.(I only have one left)
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  7. What are the dates on these suspect ones and the good ones?
  8. geneseohawk

This tastes like vinegar cherries with a little smoke- not even close to the original version. Hops are overwhelmed by funk...
  9. geneseohawk

11-19-12 - 1339
  10. KYzac

KYzac Aficionado (115) Kentucky Jun 27, 2009

I just finished one. It was fantastic. I think I might get a few more bottles just to help put off drinking my BCBSs as long as I can.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  11. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Split one with my roomie tonight. We both thought it was just fine
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  12. jsurfs82

Well I take back my last post. Tried a bottle I picked up the other night bottled on 11/19/2012 - 1215 and immediately knew something was wrong with the smell. This is horridly infected thank you guys for the heads up. Now how can I get my money back?
    AlaskanYoung likes this.
  13. Never had it before recently but I thought it was pretty good, much more hoppy than I was expecting, it didnt taste like the OPs description at all
  14. geneseohawk

Yes- this is exactly what I'm talking about
    AlaskanYoung and Fluke828 like this.
  15. jsurfs82

Very disappointing! I cracked it only to refute you geneseohawk and to my dismay I had an infected bomber as well. I literally had this last week at a tasting and was so impressed I picked up a few bombers when I found it on shelves.
  16. On a SRS note, my Night Stalker bottle did have some signs of infection - thin, overcarbonated, oddly fruity, and a weird aftertaste. Pretty sure it was the 11/19 batch as well.

Considering that, it wasn't outright BAD, just not good.
  17. Had one tonight (either 11.18 or 11.28 batch, I forget) and it was fine. I didn't particularly care for it, but there were no signs of infection at all.
  18. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

it's just a very abrasive beer, i'm not a fan of it but it didnt have any off flavors in my opinion
  19. it's all AB-Inbev's fault! BOYCOTT! ;)

(seriously though, this would be sad if truly widespread. it's a tasty beer.)
  20. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

There have been some problems with BCBCS as well. Everyone should contact GI and they should offer you a full refund, especially since they seem to be consistent batch issues. I had two buddies contact them and get full refunds. (not for Nightstalker, but other reasons)
    jsurfs82 likes this.
  21. jsurfs82

Not an abrasive beer by any means typically. Now an infected brew such as the one we are speaking of abrasive is an understatement. I've had this beer twice now in the last week and must have been two different batches my first experience was amazing but after hearing some concerns of infection I cracked a bomber I had bottled on 11/19 and without a doubt infection.
  22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

If you don't care for hops, and are expecting a big stout, I can see how this could come off as being abrasive...
  23. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

I would recommend contacting the brewery. There was some quality control issues with the first batch of Nightstalker a few years back, the bottles were underfilled. I contacted the brewery via email and they compensated me promptly. The descriptions I'm reading sound like something is off. I had one bottle this year and it tasted fine.
  24. He did say he had two bottles a week apart and that he enjoyed one but the second was different.
  25. MarcatGSB

Is everyone on this fucking Site high as hell tonight? Dude, reread the post I responded to. He was responding to... Ah fuck it.
    mikeburd1128 and jRocco2021 like this.
  26. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I had a 11.19 and thought it was pretty bad. Teriyaki taste. I didn't consider if it was infected, just assumed the hop profile wasn't to my liking. Now I'm not so sure...
  27. Read post 3 same guy you responded to.
  28. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I hate feeding rumors, but I think it would also be worth pointing out that this vintage is only recommended for short-term aging (180 days) compared to past vintages (5 years).

I'm not saying, I'm just saying... might this be a conscious effort to avoid infection criticisms in the long run?
    oldp0rt likes this.
  29. MarcatGSB

Series of events are as follows:
    He insisted to user tierney89 that it is NOT an abrasive beer, which is absolutely subjective.
  30. Earlier had said:

I just had this a week ago and did not get anything like that from it. Tasted just like a non Bourbon version of BCBS. Smooth, balanced, and just a great beer.
  31. MarcatGSB

OMG, shoot me.
  32. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

i've had bigger hoppier stouts that have flavors that arent so contradictory as this one. night stalker is more like a black ipa more than anything with flavors that dont go well with each other. yeti and yakima glory are much better examples of this hoppy black style
    antlerwrestler19 likes this.
  33. MarcatGSB

I'm not a fan of Yeti personally... I wasn't saying anyone was right or wrong or anything of the likes. Just making an observation to the posts.
  34. I drank one to myself a couple weeks ago (m'lady fell asleep so I had her share). While I didn't find it infected I did notice that it was a total mindfuck of a beer, not at all like I remember the 2011 batches. I can't recall the bottle date but I've got a few in the cellar and will reference them later. At any rate, it could use the entire 180 days, if not longer, to mellow out on the hops......it was not a stout to me at all.
  35. I didn't find Night Stalker abrasive, just WAY too sweet.
  36. jsurfs82

On the good bottle of NS I tried I actual thought it tasted much like the base beer of Bourbon County 2012. I've had plenty of the BCBS 2012 this year.
  37. Mine was fine. Just tasted like a very hoppy imperial stout
  38. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

I'll need to check the date on my bottles but I didn't think it was necessarily infected/sour. I just didn't really like it.
  39. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

i've had 6 bottles dated 11/19/12. all have been amazingly good. :shrug:
  40. I had it on draft a few weeks ago, on the thin side, with a band aidish aftertaste.