1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

It has a very piney aftertaste due to late hop additions and/or dry hopping. Definitely unique to most imperial stouts. The pine dies down with age.

pschul4 likes this.
  2. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (435) Illinois May 6, 2010

Not that I'm aware of. I split a bomber of Nightstalker with my wife a couple weeks ago. We both thought it was tremendous. I had a bomber of Big John over the weekend and thought that it was almost as good. Definitely two of the best imperial stouts out there in my opinion.

3. Still have an old night stalker so doenst look like I will be seeking out a new one for a vertical
    guess I will just have to drink the old one and enjoy

4. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I've had it on tap at GI and a bomber a couple weeks ago, thought it was really good. I've got a couple more bottles at home, hopefully not infected.

5. So happy I opted for D.O.R.I.S instead of NightStalker.
    Cheaper & seems way better from the sound of things here, infected or not.

6. Email them and get it back!
    http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/contact_us/34.php

7. Dont know if it was infected or not, I thought is want very good. Seemed like a stout and a black ipa put together and it didnt do eaither half well. Big John, however, was fantastic.

8. I didnt have one recently. I just want to say that this beer blows gigantic donkey balls in any form of quality.

9. Just looked at my bottle of NS . . .11/19/2012 :eek: Oh, the horror!

10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Polarizing it seems... It was #50 on the other sites best of 2012...Just saying.

11. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Exactly what I got out of my bottle. Didn't taste sour or funky, just different.

12. Anything is possible, but the aging of this beer always struck me as odd. The entire point of it is to be a hoppy stout, and thus should be treated like an IPA. i.e. drink fresh. Of course the aged bottle is still drinkable, but labeling it to be consumed within 6 months makes a lot more sense to me. So probably nothing nefarious going on here...

Also, for all of AB's faults, their quality control is generally something they take very seriously. Dumping a batch of Night Stalker wouldn't even be a blip on their financial statement, so why knowingly push out something bad?

MinorThreat likes this.
  13. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

Tasted like burnt pine cones.

Drain-pour

NonicPanic likes this.
  14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'd agree, if you follow Laffler on twitter, you would have seen pictures of quite a few bourbon barrels being dumped because they were not up to snuff...If even Jon made the call, he had the freedom to do so.

15. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

I had this a few times back in 2010. It was up my alley as I like my RIS with higher IBUs. The 2012 I had didn't taste hoppy at all and had a weird fruit flavour. Smelled of nail polish.

Drain-poured it.

Fluke828 and ThisWangsChung like this.
  16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

This is exactly my problem with FFF. I do care for hops just not in my stouts/porters....ahem...Alpha Klaus......

17. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

I bought 2 bottles last week Nov 2012 bottled date. Something is wrong with 1st bottle very disappointed. May try 2nd one with another group of friends to confirm infection

18. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Savant (445) Illinois Sep 26, 2012

How does it compare to Pipeworks Close Encounter? That is the only other hoppy stout I've tried

19. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (440) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I had two beer advocate friends taste mine as well- and they both agreed that this batch was terribly bad and infected.

20. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Geez, thank goodness both pours I've had were draft. The one I had 11/23 was intensely hoppy, the one a few days ago was less so, but both tasted good.

21. For anyone really curious, one difference from previous batches is the hops used. Via twitter:

27 Dec Jeremy Danner ‏
    @tomkorder What are the dry hops for Night Stalker? Perle? Saphir?

27 Dec Tom Korder ‏
    @Jeremy_Danner @jalaffler this year it was magnum and....hallertau? (Not sure on the 2nd one)

27 Dec Jeremy Danner
    @tomkorder @jalaffler Cool. I knew it was German. Nice and clean. Good stuff.

27 Dec John Laffler ‏
    @Jeremy_Danner @tomkorder Was Simcoe and Mt Hood. Personally, I liked it better. Feel it needs something big, sticky & stupid to balance

22. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

I had it on draft a couple weeks ago and it was really strange. I couldn't pinpoint the taste, but it just wasn't good to me. Beyond a style preference (and I enjoy stouts, even hoppy stouts), it did taste like something was off in the beer. Disappointing since I'd heard good things, but maybe that batch was infected...who knows. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought the taste was unpleasant!

23. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (440) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I emailed them- hope to hear soon.

24. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Seems only to be a hated beer recently. My buddy is sitting on cases of some bottles from the 2009 era. We have had a lot of it over the years, and it has been aging great. Looks like the new batch sucks.

25. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Saw 6 bottles at the local store, all bottled 11/19. I'd have bought one to try as I haven't had this before but I've spent a lot of money on beer over the holidays and didn't want to risk getting nail polish for my $10.

Although the fella at the counter said it was just a bottling issue and as far as he knows, the bottles they have are fine.. but who really knows?

26. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (810) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Great the two bottles I bought have the 11/19 date , I hope they aren't infected

27. SDG1070

SDG1070 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jul 13, 2012

I just opened one from the 11/19 batch and it was undrinkable. It got worse as it warmed up. Poured this one down the drain.

28. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Had the same experience with an 11/19/12 bottle, and noticed a few reviews that mention this batch being off as well. Mine was without a doubt infected, the taste wasnt bad or unpleasant, but flat out offensive.

29. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

I emailed them this afternoon also. I'll keep all posted on what transpires. SDG1070 is my buddy and had the same 11/19 batch. Another bad one.

30. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Same, absolutely undrinkable. Im not one to drain pour beers, and tried so hard not to, but like you said it just got worse and worse and I had no choice.

31. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I just had one about a week ago and it was fine. I want to say the date was early December though. I remember thinking it was only 10 days old.

32. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

Don't give up on it just yet. I had one recently that was amazing, there is just something wrong with some of the 11/19 batch. It would be nice if we get some feedback from GI aka AB aka InBev

33. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

I have an 11/19 I haven't tried yet. Has anyone had a good one from that batch?

Fortunately the shop I found it at only had one.l

34. I had the same problem with my Night Stalker. I bought it the day it was released for sale and had a very sour/cherry/burnt flavor to it.

35. SourAddict

SourAddict Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2012

i had an 11/19/12 1252. was awful. three sips then down the drain. regret buying two

36. 11/19 here, 1508. :(
    We will see tomorrow night.

37. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

11/19 1547 - Sat Night delight - Have the BCBS cooling down just in case...

38. I've got 1509! Bought it at the Hunger Mountain Coop in VT. What about yours? Wonder if they make it into the cases in production order.

Also, this will be interesting... especially if one of these two bottles is fine and the other isn't.

39. bbrown12

bbrown12 Savant (280) New Jersey Oct 18, 2011

11/19, 1624 purchased in Pt. Pleasant, NJ. I drank the other one I had but dont know the # on that one but tasted off. Closer to a Black IPA like stated earlier with some funk and tart. I've never had an infected beer before so I wouldnt know.

40. I drained poured one last week. But really enjoyed the first batch both fresh and aged.