1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Member

No and I wasn't banking on it going in to it. There are so many factors that could have caused this. I'm not pointing the finger at them.
  2. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Member

I emailed them and got an email back asking me if I would send in a bottle to them. I plan to visit the brewery in a month or so- so I am just going to hand deliver a bottle to them. I don't suppose they will open it in front of me and drink it with me- but that is what I am hoping.....
  3. ElGallo

ElGallo Member

Drinking mine right now (11/19/12, 1517). The beer is not infected, people; it's just not very good. Hoping to rebound with a Big John.
    Drew26 likes this.
  4. Hophead717

Hophead717 Member

Just had a 11/19/12 bottle. Some dark fruit flavors and tons of hops, but not notes of infection. Wicked smooth mouthfeel
  5. Slyjoker87

Slyjoker87 Member

Yikes. I just bought a 11/19 1243 bottle, and I am really hesitant to open it. This thread seems to have mixed reports. Has anyone else learned anything more about this batch? Should I risk trying it, or just return it?

(For what its worth, I bought it because I loved prior years batches. I also have a few 2011 bottles still aging in my closet.)
  6. Hophead717

Hophead717 Member

Open it! Worst case scenario is that you find infected notes and dislike it. It wasn't a huge investment in a beer (though it also wasn't cheap) and is definitely work trying if you loved past years!
  7. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

I had an 11/19/12 1515 bottle - it was as advertised, no sign of infection at all. I've got more 11/19/12 1515 and 1518 bottles downstairs and I'm not the least bit concerned about them.

I think two things are happening here. One, you've got some people who just don't like the beer, don't like Goose Island/AB, or don't know what infected really is. But clearly there are some bad bottles too. The bad ones seem randomly mixed with the good ones, so some of the bottles must not have been properly cleaned before bottling....no other explanation makes sense. If the whole batch of beer was infected/contaminated/bad, they would all be bad.

(I've experienced random one-bottle infections in other breweries' products before, i.e. one bottle out of a 6-pack erupts like a geyser when opened and tastes of cardboard, the others are fine. When it's bad enough to geyser, there's no question of subjectivity of "good" or "bad".)
    chaz707 likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Given AB's employment of high gravity brewing, it wouldn't be difficult to lower a batch of Bud Light's alcohol level to Busch Light's abv, but how do they get around the fact that the former is brewed with rice as the adjunct and the latter with corn?
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  9. Fluke828

Fluke828 Member

This is exactly how my experience went. Soy sauce explosion. In the worst possible sense...beer was split with 2 other friends and none of us could finish our pours...
  10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Anyone have a bottle NOT bottled on 11/19? Seems to be the lone date for Night Stalker...
    Gillian likes this.
  11. Mavajo

Mavajo Member

I'm always amused how whenever these infection threads pop up, there's always a bunch of fuctards that claim the beer is fine and tell the OP (s)he's wrong, because they opened a bottle last night and it was fine! Because it's totally impossible for only some bottles to be infected, right? That's NEVER happened has it?

Asshats.
    CORKSCREWFISH, LeRose, BobZ and 4 others like this.
  12. johncosta60

johncosta60 Member

Had a bottle last night of this, and though it was awful tasting, but not enjoyable something seemed off with the smell of it. Also the bottle ended up gushing foam after the first pour.
  13. JulianC

JulianC Member

I remember drinking one fresh in 2011 after only having aged 2010s, and was ehh..... Not what I was expecting kinda bad. Since cracked a 2011 last week and was fantastic. I never plan on drinking NS fresh because it is abrasive. Sitting on a couple 2012s that won't get open until next football season at the earliest.
  14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

For those that have had a bottle that was fine, don't think that other bottles can't be infected. There are multi-head fillers that could have a infection in one of the lines/head, just infecting the beer that went through that path. There are many things that could happen, so there is one way it could happen.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  15. JulianC

JulianC Member

Yeah maybe. I think people just haven't had a fresh Stalker before or at least not since Feb 2011 and forgot that experience. I remember it and now have the "don't drink Stalker less than 9mo old rule"

It really isn't that great fresh... borderline poor. Aged it becomes excellent.
  16. rodlavers

rodlavers Member

It really isn't that great fresh... borderline poor. Aged it becomes excellent.[/quote]
    This year, we are told to consume within first 180 days.
  17. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

Nonsense!
  18. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

You may be right - it is the interwebz.
  19. BakeBisBife

BakeBisBife Member

overly hopped with magnum hops (12-14% alpha acid). soy sauce, berry syrup, balsamic reduction flavors. just give it a year, it might mellow out.

not infected.
  20. Sam_E

Sam_E Member

I just cracked a 11/19 bottle #1245 and had the same tastes. soy sauce and syrup
  21. stayclean

stayclean Member

This year, we are told to consume within first 180 days.[/quote]
    Only if you want it hoppy.
  22. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Member

Not in my case buddy. I can enjoy a hoppy stout/porter ie. Alpha Klaus, Beer Hop Breakfast, the bad Night Stalker I had was not the hops that were the problem.
  23. Sam_E

Sam_E Member

The warmer my beer got the worse and worse it tasted. Ended up pouring out about 1/4 of the bottle.
    Horbar and hoppusmaxximus like this.
  24. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

That was my experience exactly.
    Horbar likes this.
  25. UshertheravenIPA

UshertheravenIPA Member

My friend and I both bought a bottle. He drank his and said it was terrible and smelled like broccoli with an acidic overtone so we opened mine at our monthly Craft Beer night a week later and it was the same, minus the broccoli-like nose. The nose on this one was almost nonexistent. Expected alot of floral notes and got nothing. 8 people agreed it was undrinkable. Half of us poured it out after 2 sips.
  26. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Member

Have a 11/19/12 1622 chilling right now, will post my experience
  27. dahorn_spartan

dahorn_spartan Member

I have 2 bottles, one is dated 11/19/12 1227 and the other is 11/19/12 1234. Hopefully they aren't infected.
  28. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Member

My 11/19 1622 is fine. Wasn't blown away but thought it was a solid imperial stout, can't compare to previous years as this is the first time I've had it. I did get a little of that odd soy sauce/teriyaki thing going on in the nose but it wasn't intrusive.
  29. tai4ji2x

tai4ji2x Member

at this point i think there are some people who are letting the news cloud their own judgement. there may well be an infection in some or even most bottles. but some of the descriptions being given are totally disparate from each other and from the common ones given for infection. for a more objective evaluation, people are gonna have to do this blind. someone has to test a friend who doesn't know they're being served nightstalker at all.
  30. Keffa

Keffa Member

There should just be a permanent sticky thread at the top of the forum that's called Is ???? Infected, and people can just add their "infected beers" to that thread. These types of threads always turn into a "It's infected" "No, it's not" "Yes it is, idiot" "No it's not, moron" dick wagging festival, and honestly, it gets old.
    Hindsight likes this.
  31. 316nuts

316nuts Member

I just had a bottle. 11/19/2012 bottle date. Followed by the number sequence 1410. Had a distinct, overwhelming nose and body profile of soy sauce and/or teriyaki. Hops and licorice in the background. Little roast profile. This was unlike any stout I've ever had before. Very,very disappointed. Walked away from half a bomber.
  32. tai4ji2x

tai4ji2x Member

more than 90% of the time, soy/teriyaki is not a sign of infection, but oxidation. like i said, i think people are getting confirmation biased.
  33. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Member

I'll GLADLY buy ALL Night Stalker that people think is "infected" . . . . . .

I can't get enough of it.

BM me if you want to unload it.
  34. Gillian

Gillian Member

Did any one confirm what is wrong with this beer? It tastes like it is burnt. My batch was 1433.
  35. Gillian

Gillian Member

Did they mention which batches were bad?
  36. 316nuts

316nuts Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've never had an infected beer or an oxidized beer, so the overall experience was new and unusual for me.
  37. Horbar

Horbar Member

Opened 11/19 #1510
    I am pissed because I think this beer would have been awesome, but someone took a salt shaker to it. I love hoppy stouts and this one is ruined.
  38. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

I had one a few years ago and it had a bad PVC aftertaste and 'haven't touched it since. Wish I could provide more details, 'just remember it as one I'd never buy again.
  39. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

This is really, really turning into a gripe session about the various reasons someone might not like a particular beer....
    afrokaze and JulianC like this.
  40. Drew26

Drew26 Member

Having my second bottle from the 11/19/12 date, both batch 1406...and this one, like the first bottle I had a few weeks ago, is damn good!