1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

BS? Again, I've yet to see anyone (knowledgeable BA or otherwise) post symptoms of INFECTION. Problems, yes, and I specifically acknowledged there definitely are some problems, but no evidence of infection.

You didn't describe what was wrong with your beer. Tell us instead of just calling it names.

However, it CANNOT be that it's all "a horrible beer....made shitty" this year, because there are plenty of people who say it's fine, myself included.

2. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (295) California Nov 22, 2011

I had one two days ago and it was nasty. There's definitely something wrong with at least a portion of this batch. Not sure if 'infected' is the accurate descriptor or not... but it was foul. Had an older batch last tear and absolutely loved it, so I sought out a trade and acquired 3 more, cracked the first one and it was disgusting. So bummed.

3. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (465) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. I could list that the beer tasted like vinegar, sour, soy, acidic, sour milk, asparagus, cooked corn, rubbing alcohol, green apple, etc... and you would not buy it at all because you liked the beer you had. As someone and others on the thread who have had many many many many nightstalkers in the past- I guess you will just have to trust me when I say this one was different and infected imo. I have had infected beers before- abyss 09 comes to mind (which I kinda of enjoyed) and this by far was worse vinegar than that. To each their own my friend- but for those who say it if fine- there are those who say it is not- including many of my beer advocate friends....

cheers!

JohnnyMc and Horbar like this.
  4. beerinmaine

You're the one who's creating the pissing match here. I only stated, as others have too, that these complaints do not sound like infection. I never denied there was a problem of some other sort.

So, please, stop creating arguments where none exist.

5. geneseohawk

There are signs of infection that people have mentioned..... What are the signs of infection that you are wanting to hear that have not been mentioned to prove that it may be possible?

6. I always thought it was bad

7. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (370) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

I have had a bad bottle as well and I mentioned to local buyer at a good chain and he's going start it up the chain from the store end.

8. geneseohawk

I went to my local beer store yesterday and the GI beer reps were there to discuss with her. All bottles had been pulled from the shelf from customers complaining... She is in the same process.

9. Having an 11/19/12 1630 bottle right now....not really getting any signs of infection aside from an awful head after a vigorous pour (which happens, but whatever). Piney hops and roast, about what I expected coming in. Not sure it's necessarily worth 10.99 a bomber, but again...this isn't an infected bottle.

10. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (410) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Just cracked my night stalker stamped 11/19/12 1233 and definitely infected :(

11. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

11/19/2012 number 1515 tasted as expected. A good brew overall.

12. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

I too contacted GI when I had my bottle. No response. Can't say I'm surprised, I don't expect much out of Corporate America.

13. exactly my point

14. beerinmaine

The principal sign of infection is often a brett-like flavor, taste of graham crackers, over-carbonated, gushing, or geysering bottles. I have not seen those mentioned.

15. 11/19/12 1629 - drinking this very second and its NOT infected. Piny, chocolate, roast, char, awesomeness.

16. what type of infection causes graham cracker notes? (honest question)

17. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (365) New York Aug 23, 2012

haven't gotten ahold of an infected nightstalker, all the ones I had were good. Did however crack an infected Diesel by Sixpoint the other day. Smelled and tasted like vinegar. will not buy again just on principle.

18. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I don't think it is infected. I just don't like the beer. It tastes like charred teriyaki sauce, just like I remember from the old batches.

19. Tired two different bottles from the same case, both tasted like straight-up soy sauce. Very disappointed...

20. pcstuck

pcstuck Aficionado (145) Illinois Jan 5, 2013

I had a bottle marked 11/19/12 1206. Nothing seemed off about it to me. I have a few more ill have to test it against

21. After reading all six pages of this thread while stuck on a plane I can't wait to get back home and try one of my six bottles....all from 11/19 IIRC. Have enjoyed and shared three bottles already that were purchased at the same time and We've not found any off putting flavors. Will report back.

22. beerinmaine

We shared a bottle last night among several friends from Novare Res. Bottle dated 11/19/12 1515, poured into tasters early in the evening. We discussed the complaints expressed here and went looking for infection or off flavors.

None of the classic signs of infection were present - over-carbonation, gushing, geysering, sour, funky, brett. None of that here.

The beer is big, boozy, and sweet. The hops are powerfully piney and resinous. None of us found anything wrong with these flavors. Leaving aside any styles or expectations, I liked what was in my glass. This was my second time drinking it this year; I liked it both times.

As I tasted and thought about the flavors people have described, I could see how the extreme sweetness and piney/resinous hops could come off as 'soy' or 'teriyaki' as described here. And smelling the empty bottle 24 hours later, it definitely comes off as soy sauce.

This beer differs substantially from many other hoppy stouts. Others are often dry and roasty with layer of hops on top. This one isn't. If I'd come looking for those flavors, I would have been sadly disappointed. This is sweet, not roasty, more like a barleywine in some ways.

Here's where personal preferences come into play - I like big, malty, sweet beers, with or without hops. Big barleywines and IIPAs tending towards barleywines, aged hoppy barleywines. I'm not as much a fan of dry, roasty, hoppy stouts; the combination of roasty with fresh hops isn't my favorite.

So for me, this beer works -- at least for the two bottles I've tried. There's another in the fridge to be tried soon.

23. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

I still think people are confused on what fresh Stalker tastes like. My Feb-2011s were too much for me fresh, waited 9-12mo and bam, awesome beer, totally calmed down. Doing the same with the 2012s. All Stalkers must sit in timeout for at least 9mo, as I don't prefer hoppy stouts.

beerinmaine likes this.
  24. Teriyaki city! Don't remember it tasting like this last time I had it.

25. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

I have an 11/19/12. I really hope it doesn't suck

26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

It won't suck. Trust me, the couple I've had were perfectly fine

beerinmaine likes this.
  27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Seems like a love-or-hate-it kind of beer. I'll have to pick up a bomber later to find out for myself.

28. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

Looks like I'm putting a lot of faith in an evil catfish then ;)

29. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Infected??? Please. This generally tastes like it always has. Is this years a standout year - nope, but it is certainly not bad, or infected. 11/19/12 1358

beerinmaine likes this.
  30. It might not be infected but something is certainly "off" with the bottle I opened. I didn't get a hoppy stout at all. None I those flavors existed. I got a very thin beer that tasted a very intense soy sauce flavor. That's not how I anticipated the beer to taste. I also have not heard back from GI. I'd like to try a bottle that's not "off". I've only drain poured 2 beers in my entire life. And this was one of them. So yes I can tolerate crappy beers. There was no way I was finishing this.

31. 5112Porter

5112Porter Disciple (55) Illinois Mar 29, 2011

Brett Porter here from Goose Island. Wanted to let you know I’ve seen your posts on Night Stalker. We did what we do best – experiment – and it resulted in a more herbal-hoppy Night Stalker. There’s nothing wrong – it’s just more herbal and bitter in taste. I hope you like it, but if you don’t, please call us directly at 1-800-Goose-Me and share your take on the beer with us. The voice of our consumer has always been important to us and we would love to discuss our beer and your experience.

Cheers!

32. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Cheers Brett. Thanks for taking the time here to post this. Interesting that the recipe is indeed different. Appreciate the input. (As you can tell from my avi I'm a rabid GI fan!)

33. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Just tried my first one tonight, thought the same exact thing.

34. When I first read the beginning of this post, I thought he was comparing Night Stalker to a Brett Porter...

35. If true, than I applaud your experimentation. This will in no way stop me from buying future Goose Island products. Thanks for the reply.

36. Love goose island just didnt like my bottle of night stalker. Will buy another bottle soon to test

37. I buy this. I'm drinking a glass now and while this is absolutely not the same Night Stalker that I've had in the past, it is most definitely not infected. It is super piney with an almost charred sugar flavor. You guys probably should have called this beer something else, as IMO it really is that different. People are just thinking something is wrong with it because it tastes nothing like the Night Stalker of old.

This is not a bad beer once your palate adjusts to the expectation shock.

38. The bottle I bought (11/19/12) was most DEFINITELY infected. I have had infected beers before and I home brew. The flavors coming from this beer were sour/funky, not "herbal" or bitter. The new hops were not the cause. It was caused from not properly sanitizing the bottles, resulting in contact with wild yeast. I received a similar reply from Goose when I contacted them about a refund. I'm not upset about the beer or my $10 down the drain, I'm upset they wont admit that there was indeed a quality control issue. I hope this isn't the first of many issues from the company because I love their beers.

JohnnyMc and geneseohawk like this.
  39. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (295) California Nov 22, 2011

the one I had that was NASTY was absolutely not simply the result of a change in the hop profile. something was off. I find the response to be a bit evasive and not telling the real story. Still love GI beers though and will give the next night stalker batch a try.

JohnnyMc and geneseohawk like this.
  40. amantini

amantini Aficionado (115) Georgia Jul 7, 2009

While I appreciate the willingness of a GI employee to come on here and attempt to clear the air, that post was completely unsatisfactory. All he really said was that the beer consumers were wrong. And he gave himself a little pat on the back for experimenting.

"There’s nothing wrong – it’s just more herbal and bitter in taste."

I can understand how there is variation in taste or preferences, but there was absolutely something wrong with some of the beers bottled on 11/19/12. I seriously doubt that anyone could have had something that resembles the soy/salty/burnt sugar/bitter mess that was my bomber and not think there was something wrong with it. Why not come out and say that?

Or, why not respond to all the consumers who have written to you company about their experience with the beer? I wrote to them and received no response. I think its pretty shady to screw up some of your batch and then write a cheap reply all - really poor customer service.

JohnnyMc and BibsBrewing like this.