1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Goose Island Night Stalker infected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ronnyboy

Ronnyboy Zealot (85) Illinois Oct 19, 2009

I've recently had it twice at two different bars on tap, One delicious, and the other definitely had something wrong with it. I just thought maybe their lines were dirty, but yeah maybe infected.
  2. So, to follow-up my post from a few days previous...the 'corporate response' is that it's just a different hop they used. Well um, I didn't realize that burnt popcorn-pine cone hybrid was a desired flavor for this beer. I opened another last night at a share and my inflection of reviews went like, "this tastes like rubbing alcohol...and soiled bandaids." I'm sorry, but this beer, or some batches of it...whatever the fck anyone wants to call it...is not good. That's the bottom line for me...and I won't buy it again. Everything else GI does is still gold imo.
  3. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

I had an 11/19 bottle the other day. The answer is no. Can we now move on from this thread?
    Mgm54 and JuniperJesus like this.
  4. So you are saying this beer is good and you would buy again ?
  5. I had an 11/19 and it tasted fine...no soy or off putting flavors
  6. coachdicarlo

100% yes
  7. The beer sucks so I am not sure how you could even tell.
  8. coachdicarlo

Disclaimer: it was my first time having it so I didn't have another experience to compare to. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  9. Just had to drainpour an 11-19-12...it was that bad. Yea, it was hoppy, but it had a sour, penicillin like taste to it that was clearly wrong. Couldn't force myself to drink it. Bleh. I didn't even drainpour Ta Henkett...
  10. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

Just had a bottle 11/19/12 1401 and very pleased to find no infection, just the hoppy stout as expected.
  11. DrewV

DrewV Aficionado (175) New York Mar 30, 2011

Just bought a bottle of this without seeing this thread first. Batch was 11/19/12 1732. Absolutely no signs of any infection (thank God). Body is very thin for a stout and it's hard to produce any head on this thing, even with a huge pour. Hints of cherries, but nothing overwhelming. Quite sweet, actually. Reminiscent of Old Rasputin, but a bit stronger tasting and sweeter. I actually like this a lot. I was REALLY concerned that I would have a drainpour on my hands, but thankfully it is very drinkable and quite good. Tastes like there are some Northern Brewer hops in here, which I really hate. But they're not overwhelming, so I can tolerate it. Overall, probably not something I'd buy again (especially for the price), but I'm glad to have been able to drink it.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Its not infected, its just really different than most Imperial Stouts I've had. It even tastes quite a bit similar to Big John which isn't a surprise since they're the same base beer.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm going to preface this by saying that I've never had this beer before so I don't have a proper reference point.

I finally opened my 11/19/12 1508 bottle last night. There is definitely something wrong with this beer. It smells absolutely horrid, like old soy sauce. The beer pours thin and flat, almost the same consistency as soy sauce. Despite stinking of soy sauce, the beer did not taste like it. It really had no discernible taste; definitely not hoppy at all, despite what the label says. So it didn't necessarily taste bad, but it didn't taste good. It tasted like nothing; like a watered down run of the mill bargain basement stout.

Again, I've never had a 'proper' Night Stalker before, but there's no way the beer was supposed to come out like this. A beer shouldn't stink of soy sauce, a hoppy stout should have some hop character to it, and it should at least taste like something
  14. theformula

theformula Savant (285) Virginia Sep 11, 2006

I'll say this about the beer. I haven't had this year's batch. But I remember the last time I popped one open. It's unique in the style in that it's extremely hoppy and bracingly bitter, more so than any other i've had. It's so bitter in fact that I thought there was something "off" about the beer. The aroma and bitterness of the hops and the varieties used give it an almost acrid flavor. It wasn't bad, but at least challenging.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  15. I have had it as draft and bottle. I tasted no difference
  16. willbm3

Mine could not even remotely be described as hoppy or bitter. It was flat, lifeless, and tasteless and stunk of soy sauce.
  17. It's brewed by AB-INBEV so it is indeed infected with a very vile disease!
  18. Just opened a 11-19-12 bottle. Something wrong with this bottle, no hop taste to me.
    I had this beer on tap and absolutely loved it, great hoppy stout. This bottle taste nothing like it at all.
  19. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

It sucks, I want to try it not infected but the bottle I had earlier this year was a 11-19 and that's all I can find in my area
  20. willbm3

Yup. Definitely a beer I'm interested in, but it's not worth risking $11 on. Not all 11/19 bottles are bad, obviously, but I won't risk it. Unless I find a different bottling date I will not be buying this beer...and even then I'd have to think about it
    FishAndBeer likes this.
  21. +1 to a bad bottle - also dated 11/19/12
    Njstoutlover23 and FishAndBeer like this.
  22. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

i had 4 bottles of the 11/19 drank one tasted like ass so i called them they refunded my 40 bucks(still waitng on the check 2.5 months later) and i sent them one bottle and they said it was fine but they didnt taste it jujst tested it, so im sitting on the others for a year or two to see what happens overall i think its infected two thumbs down
  23. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

This logic befuddles me. If you're interested in it - buy a bottle! Even if it is "infected" (despite numerous reports of 11/19 bottles tasting delicious), you can get a real sense of what tastes to look for in such a beer, so you could have a better sense in the future. If not, hey, delicious beer! Take a "risk," buy a bottle, and go in with an open mind.

Hell, a store around me had them sitting on the shelf for $7, so I picked up a couple more. Why not?

By the way - I'm pretty sure that 11/19 was the only bottling date for the entire run this year.
  24. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

I just had a nightstalker for the first time. No infection in my end and while it was amazing it was a decent brew.
  25. willbm3

I did buy one for $11 and it was fucking disgusting. That is why I said I'm not buying it again and likely wasting another $11
    AceMaster likes this.
  26. MisterBisco

Didn't realize that you already took the plunge. My bad!
  27. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (320) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

I've had two bottles so far, one more remaining, and they were both very good!!
  28. amantini

amantini Aficionado (115) Georgia Jul 7, 2009

I think what's confusing and annoying about this is that a valid explanation for why some Night Stalker bottled on 11/19 was good, and some was awful. I had an awful bottle. I am no expert, but there was nothing redeemable about that beer. As a homebrewer I would be appauled to let someone even try that if I had brewed it.

Whether it was infected in a traditional sense, or there was something wrong with parts of that batch, it is pretty greasy that Goose Island takes the stance of "the beer is fine, you are wrong." Beer drinkers are not going to agree 100% on anything, but the huge variation betwen "It was pretty good" to "It was terrible" should clue them, and most BAs, on the fact that something is not right with the beer.

I think I would feel satisfied if their brewer said that the new batch was suppossed to taste like salt/soy/teriyaki/pine/burned sugar/penicilin/band aids. I'd be confused, but still satisfied.
    Irishize75, geneseohawk and willbm3 like this.
  29. willbm3

I'm with you. I'm not an expert but I do know that a hoppy stout shouldn't stink of soy sauce
  30. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Soy and teriyaki are not signs of infection so stop, everyone please stop! Learn the difference between infected and off flavors due to autolyzation issues, oxidation etc.

I haven't bought GI since the buyout and this is why. Piss poor customer service from a company that doesn't give 2 shits about their customers. Pumping out "craft" that's being slowly dumbed down for the masses. I'm all set and you all should be too, unless you like getting treated like mindless sheep with wallets made for stealin'
  31. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Had an 11/19 bottle last week, it definitely had off flavors (I got mostly burnt rubber) but was surely NOT infected.
  32. Had an 11/19, bottle 1602 last night. Seems to be on the mark for a hoppy stout. No infection here.
  33. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Had my 11/19 recently. I shared it with my father and he took a couple sips, and refused to drink anymore. This from a man who loves his stouts. I sat around and killed the rest of the bottle. I recall being pretty stuffed up that day, so that's probably why the flavors didn't bother me much. The body was pretty robust as I recall though.
  34. Just had a 11/19 bottle 1629 and it was not infected. Actually tasted better than I remembered the original batch tasting, but still not my thing.
  35. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

WTF? This thread is back again?
  36. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (330) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Drinking an 11/19/12 Night Stalker now.....bottle #1453. Some very unique flavors but not infected. No sour notes, just TONS of flavor. I can see the soy/burnt comments from above but no sour/funk here. I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit. The body is HUGE, which is the best part of this beer. A couple swishes in the mouth and it just explodes into foamy goodness (a lot like Founders IS). I can see how this could be off-putting to some, but I'm enjoying the Night!
  37. willbm3

I find that very interesting. I had a bad batch and my body was thin and watery, like of you mixed FIS (a favorite of mine) with equal parts water. It also had no taste, just a foul smell
  38. MisterBisco

After cracking my first (of three) bottles tonight, I totally see where everyone is coming from. In fact, my wife (without knowing much else) said, "What is in this, Worcestershire Sauce? Soy sauce?" Not sure I could do a whole bomber by myself - pretty rough. Yikes. Doesn't taste infected, just tastes like a major let-down.
  39. teke817

teke817 Aspirant (30) Indiana Jun 14, 2012

Had on tap ealier this evening, def. not infcted. but could have some off notes one doesn't normalhy expect.