1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is infected beer harmful?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlaskanYoung, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Just cracked open a bottle of Goose Island Night Stalker and it tasted absolutely horrible. Went online and read some reviews and theres quite a bit of people saying the 11/19/12 batch was infected. I drain poured it because of the taste, but it raised the question if i could drink the bottle and be fine?
  2. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

You will be fine if you drink it. Of course, you would probably be fine eating gum off the sidewalk, but I wouldnt take any chances. It is flu season, ya know.
  3. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

You'll be fine. Infections in beer cannot harm you. Only make the beer taste bad (or good).
  4. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

I drink sours all the time
  5. If it's just infected with bret you're 100% fine. I've actually purchased an infected saison on purpose before and it was amazing. But yeah, night stalker infected sounds disgusting.
  6. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Not that I'm aware of.
    "Beer is a pretty hostile environment to bacteria, and no known harmful pathogens can survive in it. This means that the only part of your body that will suffer any harm from drinking an infected beer will be your taste buds."
  7. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

Well, it can cause some unpleasant digestive side effects, but I have never had any other problems from drinking an infected beer.
    ChanChan likes this.
  8. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  9. Ive had one batch of homebrew that got infected , and it turned out to be a decent beer , different to say the least , but drinkable. Will not harm you
  10. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

Nah, nothing too serious. Although I have been rushed to the john (liquid #2) the next day after drinking lambics. Some people may consider that harmful.
  11. Yes, those who consume infected beer turn into flesh eating zombies. You're fucked.
    Fahz likes this.
  12. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Drinking intentionally infected beer is bad for your wallet.
    Pahn likes this.
  13. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Could be harmful to your taste buds and the brewery who brewed it.
  14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Drinking infected beer has the same digestive effect as eating at Taco Bell, so not that big of a deal! :D
    cyrushire and AlaskanYoung like this.
  15. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Only to your taste buds.
  16. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Sidewalk gum isn't there for everyone?
  17. The alchohol itself is killing a few brain and liver cells, but that doesn't stop anyone here from drinking!
  18. Might lead to a yeast infection, so I would recommend a trip to the drug store for some Monistat.