1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is it just me or is Sweetwater Ipa Hopslam Light?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by abb610, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sweetwater Ipa has been my session beer for years. I love the simcoe flavors!! After picking up Hopslam today, it reminds me so much of Sweetwater Ipa. I love the flavor of Hopslam and even more it's efficiency, but for 11 months out of the year SWIPA fills in the void for me. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make (fresh) Hopslam my session beer for 12 months out of the year.... But until then its SWIPA
  2. i dont see how you knock Sweetwater IPA. Its not the heaviest IPA, but its balanced and fruity. The best part isthe $8-9 per six price tag and its a regular shelf beer. And the best shelf hoppy beer in NC that ive seen.

ok i misread it. this is a post loving on both Hypeslam and SW IPA.
  3. I 2nd your homage and admiration to SWIPA. It is my favorite iPa and one I will always turn to. But a hopslam light......I'll have to do some research and get back to you.
  4. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

I do think it tastes like the little brother of a Bell's IPA but it isn't Hopslam. It tastes like Two Hearted to me.
  5. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'll agree with this. Closer to Two Hearted, to me. And it's a great beer, especially when you can get six-packs for $7.99!
  6. Great beer! Crazy that you can get it at wal-mart around here..
  7. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (140) Florida Jul 22, 2009

It's $8.99 a sixer in the Tampa Bay area.....have never tasted it. Since I like Two Hearted I will definitely have to give it a try. I'm kind of just getting into the IPA scene. My first love is still stouts and porters, but I do like Two Hearted, Sculpin, White Oak Jai Alai and Lagunita's Little Sumpin (Wild and normal).......still only normally drink one IPA at a time, but I am slowly getting more into them. I started out mild (Mama's Little Yella Pils and Hennepin), but I have progressed to stouts, porters, quads and lately have gotten into sours. Well, what limited selection of sours I have been able to procure in the Tampa Bay area!!! :(
  8. To me it has too much medium/dark crystal malt flavor to taste anything like Hopslam or Two Hearted. Maybe Oracle light?
  9. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

Hopslam Light? Not to my taste. (Also, I reckon I'm in the minority, but SWIPA is the superior beer by far, IMO. Not a huge fan of big boozy sweet DIPAs.)
  10. Not sure that I would compare it to HopSlam or 2 Hearted, but it is a very nice IPA
  11. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Savant (300) Georgia Mar 21, 2012

Agree about the crystal malt taste, and I think Sweetwater IPA has a much more pronounced grapefruit flavor than Hopslam. Its mouthfeel is similiar to 2 Hearted but it is way juicier than Hopslam IMO
  12. it sounds like its just me, but the nose is very similar on both beers with there being a lighter aroma on the SWIPA. kinda like how the lagunitas daytime is to lagunitas sucks.
  13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Fresh Sweetwater is along the lines of Hopslam IMO, even though one is a big double and the other an IPA. Hopslam is just more of it.
  14. Shaw

Shaw Advocate (515) Florida Aug 27, 2003

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is closer to Hopslam Light to me.
  15. Its just you.
    Bung, xxcarpxx and petitcochon57 like this.
  16. SweetWater IPA is hitting the shelves in 12 packs in late march
    jchoffman and Alilley like this.
  17. Alilley

Alilley Aficionado (110) Georgia Dec 23, 2010

This is my favorite post ever. 12 packs should be the new 4 packs.
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Fresh Sweetwater is a real treat, Hopslam is all over the place every year, this years release was a disappointment.
  19. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Nice, didn't know about the 12'er of the IPA coming.

I can drink that stuff like water, so a 12 would do well when I'm in the mood.
  20. Yesac

Yesac Savant (310) Georgia Dec 28, 2007

The 12 packs cost more than two six packs at Total Wine.