1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is it legal to sell beer past it's "sell by" date?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I was at a local store yesterday and came across a best by date of sometime in November of 2010. I always thought this store was better than that. Oh well, it's not where I normally shop anyway.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I don't mind it at all when stores keep certain style beers on the shelf way past their best by date. But for their hoppy stuff they need to progressively mark it down over time. Just last night I bought a can of Deviant Dale's off the clearance table for a dollar that was around 8 months old, and it didn't turn our half bad, so if it is cheap enough someone will buy it and make room for fresh product.
  3. Totally illegal. Take them to beer court. Sentences are handed down in consumption of vile beers.
    SometimesIfart likes this.
  4. I guess it depend son where the store is. There's a liquor store about 5 miles from my home which sells mostly BMC with the addition of SN's Torpedo and Pale Ale. All of the SN is wayyyyyyy passed it's day. It didn't sell because that area of the city is filled with people who want the most beer for the cheapest price. Their favorite is the 32oz cans of Milwaukee's Best Ice for $1.69